You are here

looking for a few good bits of advice

deployed dad's picture

I’m an active duty service member that deploys quite frequently. My step-son moved in when he was 15, due to having serious issues with his dad and step-mom in another state. He had drug charges pending that, being a trained substance abuse counselor, I was able to talk to the prosecuting attorney and get waived. Over the 3 years he lived in our house he had several encounters with spice and one with theft. Approximately a year ago, when he was 18, I had to go on a short 45-60 day deployment to the west coast. My step-son was using my truck to get back and forth to work while I was gone. After 15 days of being deployed, I had to return home due to multiple issues, including the following: vandalism of several vehicles, truck was broke into and several items stolen, the lug nuts had been removed and the tire almost fell off damaging the front end, the windshield was destroyed and some personal items were stolen out of the master bedroom in the house (gold). No one knew what was going on and it was believed to be persons outside the home vandalizing, with no idea how items in the house were stolen. I personally caught 2 men in my backyard that I chased off the first night home, and then a week later caught someone trying to break into a friend’s car on my property and chased them off. I borrowed a friend’s truck and, with his permission, allowed my son to use it to get back and forth to work. He decided to skip work and hang out with friends one night and lose his job. A couple days later he was headed out, and when asked where he was going with the truck he told his mother “out to check on job applications”. His mom told me she thought he was lying, so I went out and found out he did lie, so we decided to take the truck away. He not only cussed at me with the F-word, he used the same language to his mother twice, before I grabbed the collar of his shirt at which time he lost control of himself and we had a physical altercation that led to him being removed from the home. He moved in with his girlfriend and her parents, got a job with her dad, which he lost within a few months and no one will tell me the exact reason. I believe it was because of drugs again. He also got his girlfriend pregnant, then decided to move back up north. Now he has moved back and I am deployed overseas. His mother has let him move back into the house and didn’t include me in this decision at all. I am very upset to say the least, and believe he has been given enough chances. Please understand I have not included all issues with child, but am I wrong in telling my wife to remove him from our home based upon what I have included?

deployed dad's picture

I am supposed to be back around Sept timeframe, but as always that could change. I understand that my wife is a superwoman dealing with my 11 year old step-daughter, my 3 year old son and everything else on the homefront. I love her very much, but to be excluded in decisions of this magnatude when deployed, considering I am not there if he loses control again, I am to say the least, upset.

2Tired4Drama's picture

If you have minor children in the home, then you have every right to tell your DW that he must move out. Someone with these kinds of behaviors does not belong in a household with kids, especially when someone with guts isn't there to oversee him and kick him out when needed. Doubtful his mother will, since she let him back in.

If DW feels the need for "help" around the house, you know she won't be getting it from him - although that may be what she is claiming. If she uses that, tell her that is what the Family Support office is for. There are tons of options available to help her through your deployment.

If she refuses to get Family Support involved, then I would tell her you are going to contact them yourself to let them know this character is living in your house without your permission, but with your wife's, and ask them to find out what options are available for you to pursue.

Sad to say, you aren't the only one deployed who has been subjected to shenanigans while away. Family support and command channels may be able to help ...

deployed dad's picture

I believe this to be the reason my daughter is having problems as well, I agree with you that with younger children I need to get him out as soon as possible.