You are here

Question regarding long term disengagement

piegirl's picture

Hi all,

I'm just wondering how disengagement works for you all. I disengaged close to 3 years ago now, along with DH.

However, OSD who has the sgkids now 'allows' DH to see the sgkids when she is ready. Often when he asks it take a few requests and a few weeks until he is allowed to see them. Of course to say that I don't exist in their world would be a complete understatement. 

So for you who don't see the skids but DH does, do you feel like there is a wedge in your marriage? Everything is happy and calm for us until one of the blessed visits occurs then we argue for a few days after. Mainly it ends up being about the fact that he doesn't say anything to them about the fact that they pretend I don't exist and he does nothing about it. With others in my life who I love there isn't a part of their lives that I wouldn't be allowed to be a part of, but with my DH there is.

Just wondering how others have dealt with this.

JRI's picture

You could say I'm partially disengaged from my SKs who are in the 50-60 yo range.  I have as little to do with SD60 as possible but because she is so dependent on DH, and me to a degree, it's not possible to be completely disengaged.  She and I are polite and civil but I don't discuss her with DH nor express opinions.  If I did, he'd always have a ridiculous reason for her insane actions so I just don't go there.  Latest episode recently was her crashing her $15K vehicle on which she'd let insurance lapse.

I love OSS58 but, like me, he's an introvert who values his solitude.  So, we are naturally disengaged, like adult sons are, but neither of us has ill feelings.

YSS54 and I have always had an arms length relationship, due, I'm sure, to loyalty to BM. But nowadays, we have a mutually respectful relationship. He's another one DH defends if I say anything faintly negative.   Long story but he has serious financial and legal issues altho he's working steadily (excellent salesman) and is a good father to 3 girls. The other night, DH was rhapsodizing about him and new gf.   I said, she might have an issue because he doesn't own a home nor car.  DH said, how could he have his own place in (expensive state), he has those 2 dogs to take care of.  ???  See what I mean, he will go to any length to defend them whether it makes sense or not.

So, I seldom bring any of them up.  I dont discuss my 2 bios, either.  If I mention something negative about a bio, he's right there, jumping on it and predicting the worst.

Steplife, don't you just love it.

CajunMom's picture

I have been completely cut off from DH's kids for 3+ years (Feb makes a full 4 years). At first, it was really difficult for me. I had a hard time understanding how DH could be "okay" with how his kids had treated me for 12+ years. We had many arguments. I was filled with a lot of hatred and pain due to his two oldest sons blindsiding me at my DHs retirement party (that I put together and was attended mostly by my friends and family brought to the marriage). Unknown to me, one was expecting the first grandchild and had his brother film the announcement (after he was clearly told by me, NO camera or video as I hired someone). The announcement was made and I was left sitting like the Pink Elephant in the room. Not one mention of me as a step GP or even DH's wife. While everyone was thrilled for DH, they were devastated for me. Three years later, no one from that party has ever asked DH about his grandchild. It was the final disgusting hit on me....done.

Fast forward to today. I've been in therapy, marriage counseling, and recently a Bible Study that has helped me immensely in learning to forgive (without restoration of relationships) and focusing on my marriage. While DH stays in relation, he has many times pointed out to his kids that THEY are the reason our family is broken. We have boundaries in place: he sees his kids away from our marital home, when calls come through, I leave the room, he rarely tells me anything about them. This has really impacted his kids negatively. Four live across the country from us and so to the expense of him having to stay in hotels when visiting (not one of his kids can host him), looks like he'll get to see them about every 2 years. (Just cost us $4K for him to spend 8 days there).

The impact for us is living with a new "Pink Elephant." That being his kids and how we now dance around that issue. The boundaries have worked for me. I'm much better today mentally and physically. I know DH wishes things could be different but until his kids can mature and make behavioral changes, I'm not going anywhere near them. As he had a hand in this by ignoring this atrocious behavior for so many years, that's on him.

We take it one day at a time here. I love DH deeply but I won't tolerate being targeted by his kids' crappy behavior anymore.

Wanted to add...his oldest daughter, AKA mini wife, AKA soldier of the BM, found a cheap ticket and wanted to fly here for Fathers Day and asked if they could hang out. He told her it was not a good idea, he'd see her later in the year. So, while he has lapses sometimes on boundaries, for the most part, he stands strong. And that is THEIR karma. This home was always open to them regardless of how they treated me until that damn party where I was humiliated. I forgot to mention....both of my adult kids were there and they were livid. I doubt I'll ever speak to DHs kids again.

piegirl's picture

Perhaps I need to do a bit more work on me rather than getting angry at DH. The bottom line is that he is too weak and scared of losing them that keeps him from standing up to them about how they treat me. That is never going to change, so I need to stop hoping for it to. 

I need to find a way to not get mad that he doesn't defend or protect me, I really hoped for more in my marriage.

CajunMom's picture

I've come to the place in life where I use that comment often. I cannot do anything to make DHs kids like me. I want my husband to be free to love his kids and grandkids. So, that leaves me with figuring out how to keep myself "safe" from here out.

I want me to be happy, healthy and whole. So, I've learned to compartmentalize this mess. I recognize they (SKs) had some shitty upbringing and a BM who was mentally unstable. I wish them well but we simply cannot be in relation. I have forgiven their destructive behaviors towards me  but refuse them access to do anymore damage. So far, it's working.

I remember telling DH over the years to make changes in his parenting style or this is where we'd end up. He did nothing and we are exactly where I said we'd be. Split family. While I cannot say this doesn't impact me still, I can live with it. DH and his kids are the ones getting the tough impacts these days.  I refuse to sacrifice myself anymore for "their" needs.

Best to you. Tough journey.

SacrificialLamb's picture

We are in the exact same spot, Cajun. I have resentment towards DH because of his passivity. But just keep those middle-aged brats away from me and I will be fine.  They now have a fractured family because DH recognizes some of their ridiculous requests as ridiculous. And while he won't address it, he distances himself from them.  I know they are saying that it is all my fault, but I really don't care anymore.

sandye21's picture

I think DH's passivity and passive-agressiveness. plus my disgust with it, was the cause of the eventual end of our marriage.  12 years before our divorce he ran out the door while SD was pointing her ugly fat finger in my face, yelling at me at the top of her lungs.  You like to feel valued enough by your DH that he has your back.

MissTexas's picture

You've made some great choices, and I love how you point out that forgiveness isn't "I want you in my life again, let's try to work things out, ok?" People forgive in different ways, but the most important thing to remember is it is required of us if we want forgiveness, AND forgiving another sets the prisoner free, and the prisoner you set free is yourself. 

I was just reading an article about this today. The author pointed out that forgiving doesn't mean reconciliation, or that  you dismiss or put your stamp of approval on the other person(s), actions, it simply means you are making the conscious choice to live on your terms and do whatever you need to in order to regain your joy and control over the situation. It isn't a blank page, and doesn't change the past, but rather, it gives you the chance to rewrite your future.

Your message was very appropriate and succinct.

tog redux's picture

This is a tough issue. Your DH can't make the skids like and respect you, and I can see how he might not want to give up a relationship with them entirely. I might be okay with it if he at least made clear to them that he was not okay with how they treated me, and also if he didn't allow them to not invite me to big events like weddings, holidays, etc. 

I would definitely NOT be okay with him never addressing the issue with them, or throwing money at them. 

I have very little to do work SS21, but he doesn't mistreat me. 

ESMOD's picture

Honestly.. I would be happy if my DH only chose to see his grandkids without me.. lol.  I am not a huge fan of little kids.. and literally would rather scrub the bathroom floor than spend any large amount of time with small kids. 

But to OP's issue.  

The way I see it is that you disengaged from his kids.  That does not require your spouse to disengage from his kids though.. although as your spouse, he should defend against abuse aimed your way.. but, if his kids decide that the disengagement is reciprocal.. they don't pay you any  mind.. you don't pay them any mind.. then basically, you are both having your own parallel relationships with your DH.. and them with their father.. without having to have the accessory relationshp of step parent/step child.

So, it is a bit unfair to be upset that they pretend you don't exist.. when you did the same thing yourself basically 3 years ago....  Disengagement.. can be a 2 way street.

But, what does that mean now for your DH and his relationship with you, his kids and his grandkids?

He should be able to have a relationship with his kids and grandkids and maintaining that relationship doesn't need to have your involvement or effort.  He can arrange visits with his kids.. his grandkids etc.. and as long as the visits aren't all encompassing of his time (which they don't appear to).. I would really try to not punish him for wanting to be part of his children's lives and their kids' lives. 

Of course, if there are situations where you must come together.. a wedding or baptism etc.. you should be invited as his wife and partner and they should be civil.. though they aren't obligated to entertain you and act like your long lost best friend.  And vice versa.. civil.. polite.. avoid conflicts and drama.  

And.. remember.. you disengaged.  you decided that you didn't want to be part of his children's lives.. so the fact that they are behaving similarly.. really shouldn't be a problem...   I don't see this as anything he needs to correct or confront with them.  It seems you don't really care for them.. so I'm not sure why you care about their exclusions...  I would be happy he navigates the relationship without roping you into it..haha.

CajunMom's picture

Parallel relationships. I always thought of this in the parenting venue. Not between the new wife and stepkids. Something for me to reflect on and take hold of. I like that. It actually describes how I've been operating the last year, once I got past the damage done to me over the years. Thank you for sharing that concept.

ESMOD's picture

As long as his parallel relationship with his kids.. or that jerk of a drinking buddy..lol.. doesn't rise to the point where it is overshadowing the primary partnership that is had with the spouse.. I think it's generally OK and preferrable to be able to bow out of events and visits that include people you just don't care for.

I mean, I get that it's tough to get past the prior poor treatment that the skids dished out.  But, as long as your spouse isn't expecting you to go along and grit your teeth while he plays nice with his kids? Fine.. I can spend an afternoon at home.. I have my own interests and ways to fill my time.  As long as he isn't leaving me alone every weekend.. or something extreme.. or constantly running out without notice to help his kids with something.

So, yeah.. we can disengage from the skids.. but that doesn't mean our spouses have to.. but they do need to respect our boundaries and understand that they need to prioritize the relationship with their spouse if they want to remain happily married that is.

CajunMom's picture

Thank you again. I'm fortunate in that 4 of his kids live across the country. He just returned from a week visit that cost us $4k (not one of his kids can host him...they rent rooms or live in tiny apartments). He clearly told them this would not happen often...we cannot afford it. So, I'm thinking about every 2 years. He does have one that is local but this man wouldn't come see his dad before my boundaries. He might call his dad every 3-4 months unless DH reaches out. 

Oh well....not my circus. Thank you again, ESMOD. Great advice and analogies.

piegirl's picture

You make some very good points. On the disengagement piece, I chose to do that after they visited my home one day and sat spitting vitriol at myself and DH for a few hours straight and while I defended myself, DH sat silent and did nothing. They ranted against me, my children, my extended family. It was very one sided and uncalled for. My disengagement wasn't because I didn't like them (I had previously had a good relationship with them) but for self protection when DH wouldn't/couldn't. 

ESMOD's picture

I don't for a minute blame you for wanting to disengage from adults who had behaved disrespectfully to you.  I guess the problem is that turning a back on your own bios can be a lot tougher.. fold in some grandkids who may be technically "innocent' and I can also see why your DH still wants to try to have some relationship with his kids.. even if they don't treat him as nicely as he probably deserves.

The Disengagement decision is a frame of mind and action that we make for ourselves.  To protect our peace, our sanity, etc...  But, this is something that our partners need to decide for themselves... how much they want to engage with their biological children...  While their actions caused a hard cut off for you, it's more complicated for your husband and honestly, a bio parent can forgive a lot more bratty behavior than a step parent.

I just honestly do not believe it is necessarily a betrayal of loyalty if he wants to have a relationship with his children.  He cannot control their emotions or their feelings which rightly or wrongly may place blame on you or your relationship with their dad for things in their life that went badly... or for things that went badly for their mom.  

My ground rules for my DH in a situation like this would generally be that he not allow his visits with them to cut short our relationship.. like he can't spend every weekend with them and leave me at home.  I would also expect him to not let me be a topic of discussion for them to beat me up in my absence.. and I would also expect him to defend me in my absence if my name DOES come up.

In short, while you had valid reasons to disengage, you can't force your DH to make the same surgical cut with his biological children and grandchildren.  And.. you cannot really be upset to be excluded from a relationship that you willingly and intentionally walked away from yourself (for valid reasons).  

Parents can and do forgive their kids' faults and probably faults much larger than disrespectful behavior/talk.  It seems he is able to compartmentalize his relationship with them away from you.  Unless you think they are over there tearing you down.. I would hope that you trust that your DH loves you and his only intention is to build a relationshp with his grandkids.. and that means he also needs to have some basic relationship with the parents.. and that he is likely making the best of an imperfect situation.. which is really a lot of what steplife is about.

MissTexas's picture

corner you've got to do whatever is necessary to protect your heart and your peace.

Speaking of parallel lives, I think we've visited about how similar our situations were with regard to SKs going on a rampage and DH saying and DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. On that level, him spending time with "the enemy" would feel like a betrayal of sorts to me. I feel spouses must put EACH OTHER FIRST. Period.

Rags's picture

He may not be able to force them to like and respect you but he absolutely can demand and enforce that they treat you with respect and their behavior is respectful.

If I were you, I would accept nothing less from any of them.  Including DH. His treating you as if you don't exist would be a deal breaker for me.

ESMOD's picture

I don't know Rags... I mean.... are these visits happening while she is present? or is he arranging visits with his kids "on his own time and away from his home.. or at a time when OP might naturally not be at home"?

She disengaged from his kids.. that is pretty much "ignoring them" imho.. it seems fair that the kids could also disengage from a relationship with HER too.

What that leaves them is that her DH could still have a relationship with his kids.. but that it happens separately from OP.. not in her home.. or not while she is there at the very least.  If he chooses to go spend an afternoon at his child's home to visit them and their children.. or takes them to lunch etc.. how is that being outright disrespectful?  I mean.. his wife is not maintaining a relationship with the kids.. she kind of acts like they don't exist.. and his kids seem to be doing the same? Isn't that ok.. if it's ok for a stepparent to disengage.. a stepchild.. (esp an adult).. should have somewhat the same ability especially if they aren't living in the same home.

If he is treating her as if she doesn't exist to her face.. that's wrong.  But not bringing her up with his kids when he knows that the feelings on both sides are that they don't particularly like the other party or get along?  what would be the point of constantly bringing that drama up?  The kids know he is still married to her.. she knows he still has children.. they are both choosing to not dwell on that though.

CajunMom's picture

As long as DHs kids aren't disrespecting me in my presence....which they can't anymore....I'm good with however he chooses to handle his relationship with them. DHs respect towards me comes in the form of him respecting my right to not have them in our home and keeping me out of their business. I guess you could say I actually HELP his kids disengage from me. LOL 

I do know through tidbits here and there, that our situation does come up in their conversations sometimes and he stands firm on the fact things will never change between us until they change. But again, none of that impacts me. I don't need or want DHs defense these days. I waited on him way to long to do something, to my detremint. Now, I defend and protect myself. And I could care less if DHs kids don't include me, want to be around me or think I don't exist. Sad for his kids, but this is now really negatively impacting them. We'd visit much more often if we were in relation. As it is now, DH rarely sees them due to distance and expense in traveling....and that's their Karma.

I will also add....it took almost 3 years of intense therapy, marriage counseling and private reading/studying to get to this point. Seems OP is just beginning this journey.

ESMOD's picture

We kind of have a "same" but not the "same" situation with my BIL and his Wife and my Inlaws.

My BIL and his wife are some very pettty, stupid and immature people.  They are to put it bluntly "aholes".  They have said things to us that are very hurtful despite the fact that my DH and I have helped them both greatly in many ways, including financial over the years.  But at this point in time, there is no relationship.. or rather a bad one.  We have zero interest in having anything to do with them.. they are horrible people and we don't need that toxicity in our lives.  But they live next door in the inlaws suite at my DH's parent's home.  While we don't see them up close and personal.. they do live next door.. we see them from a distance.. and they live in close proximity to my DH's parents.

So... my dh's parents "won't take sides" and see them socially often and even try to bring up things about their lives with my DH and me.  WE have made it clear that we have no interest in hearing what is going on in their lives.. but my inlaws just can't help it.  My MIL has told me multiple times that she loves both her DIL's the same.. etc... but then again.. she still socializes with my BIL's EX wife too.. so she isn't all that discerning.  I think they are convinced this is some petty sibling rivalry.. and while that may factor into some of it from the other side, there is zero about their lives that we envy.  nothing about their jobs.. their relationship, their life (they are 24/7 drunks) that we have any interest in wanting for ourselves.  Frankly, they are not nice people.  My BIL and his EX bilked her aunt out of her fortune while the poor lady lived with them.. bled her estate dry.  When that dried up.. that's when the relationship went south.  The SIL was a gold digger who has had a fairly sordid past of her own and basically was run out of town in her youth due to her reputation.  

Quick story of the kind of guy BIL is.  When my DH and I got engaged.. we told his parents and his brother was there too... I had a nice little modest 1/2 carat ring.. really all I wanted, I'm not big on rings or jewelry.  But.. lo and behold.. who shows up with a new multi carat ring the next weekend?  you guessed it my SIL (the now EX).  My company gives us tickets to a theme park in our state for our families... well.. of course, the week after I treat my DH and his girls to a day there who decides THEY have to go and have a day? my BIL... It's like he can't stand for his brother to have anything without trying to outshine him.. it's kind of sad.  My DH has hired him, his kids, given him a place to live.. let him use our stuff.. lent him money.. but of course.. we are the ones that have the relationship problem.

And.. yeah.. his parents are the ones who are getting shorted because we don't go see them like we used to.  but it's their choice to not see any of our side in how things have played out.

Chickengate.. where they got the roosters that we asked them not to because they put the pen behind our house.. well those roosters died. so great.. but then I noticed recently they got another rooster.. my MIL told us "oh.. if that turns out to be a rooster.. they will get rid of it.. then that turned into he ordered a collar to put on it so it won't crow.. which obviously hasn't happened as the damn bird is crowing away.. and hmmmm it is still there.. so guess they won't do anything about it and we just suck it up.. again. 

At this point, I'm kind of disengaged from my inlaws too.. I have no issue if my DH wants to call and talk to them. but I'm pretty tepid on the whole relationship.

piegirl's picture

Every time I think I am good with it, it falls apart. I supose I am still hurting from the fact that we had such a good relationship and one day they chose to take that away in the most spiteful way. I'm still at that day 3 years ago and they have all moved on - DH included. 

Rags's picture

I think it is a proximity thing.  They are respectful when they are in the presence of the SM.  They should also not be allowed to speak ill of their father's wife ever in his presence.

I agree completely that if the disengagement is mutual there is nothing gained by forcing face time.

Though the disrespect of someone abandoning their mate for time with people who disrespect that mate bothers me.

piegirl's picture

Perhaps the issue for me is the hurt they inflicted on both DH and I, the fact that the marriage counsellor said he should fix his relationship with them and then reintroduce me...3 years ago....or the fact that he is still grovelling for their attention and I'm still left on the outside. I'm sick and tired from all of this Sad

Rags's picture

I recognize your pain.  I have tuned my IL clan on similar issues.  Constant zero tolerance fixed it. Or at least reset the balance so that no one's mate is ostracized.  They know to keep it under wraps or I will bare their ass in front of everyone. 

ESMOD's picture

It sounds like he is still in the "fixing the relationshp phase" and isn't secure in that point to be able to move on to the reintroduction point.  And.. the counselor's advice is really only applicable to the extent that you have reasonable parties on all sides willing to make the effort. 

His adult kids may never be the good people that he would hope.  they may never become people you will lower your disengagement from .  BUT.. that doesn't mean at some level as a biological parent that brought these people into the world that he won't try to continue to have a relationship with them.. AND the "innocent" grandkids..even if it's not on an even playing field.  He may just take the crumbs he gets because that is all they are capable of giving?

And as other's said.. it relieves you of a huge responsibility and obligation to stand there by his side as they do all this... you can disengage.  That is just not attending and seeing them though.  THat is where you get yourself to a place mentally where you don't CARE.  And honestly, it seems in that part of the disengagement, you haven't reached the full potential.

I don't care about people who don't care about me.  is a good mantra.  I can't make people like me or treat me or anyone I love in a certain way but I can excuse myself from the situation.. I can choose how to react.  I'm not saying the kids are in the right.. or that you are wrong.. but that your happiness is in your own control.  You exist as an individual wholly independent of your relationship with your husband.. he is not the definitiion of you.. and you can exist without being part of every facet of his life..

Just because it is important to him to have some level of relatiohnship with his children doesn't mean he doesn't value his relationship with you.

PetSpoiler's picture

I don't know how it works really.  I started disengagement from SS shortly before DH confronted him about his and his wife's behavior.  I did feel as though DH was sending the message that he was ok with the way they were acting towards me and I told him that.  He confronted SS BECAUSE I was choosing to disengage and was refusing to go around them.  No family gatherings, stayed home with our bios during SS's baby dedication, etc.  I think DH wanted to just let bygones be bygones, aka rug sweep, but I was to the point where I could no longer do so.  My anxiety shot up, my blood pressure would spike at the thought of being around them, especially SDIL. So DH confronted him.  It didn't do any good.  He says he quit talking to them because of the way SS was acting towards me but I think it's only partially true.  He also quit, I believe, because I refused to go around them anymore and he doesn't like to go to family gatherings and other stuff without me.  But I don't know if I could deal well with him continuing to see them after everything.  I feel that he would be saying that their behavior towards me is ok. Which they already act like they've done nothing wrong.  

piegirl's picture

Your situation sounds very similar to mine, and your final line descibes exactly how I feel. He goes and visits and they are all happy family - he even asked me the other day if I would consider apologising to them, not because we are in the wrong but because they feel they are in the right?!? Ugh & no DH, that won't be happening.

But I don't know if I could deal well with him continuing to see them after everything.  I feel that he would be saying that their behavior towards me is ok. Which they already act like they've done nothing wrong.  

CLove's picture

I am basically no contact with SD22 Feral Forger. Shes been very nasty to me recently, and I just give up trying with her. Last Christmas she was horrible to me. And this was after I had given her $100.

SO, now she has accused me of "taking her father away, and now he is just the sperm donor. And I traumatized her by yelling at her" etc.

I have spoken to DH about things. Ive told him "go ahead and have your relationship - but not at our home". She wanted to move in with us. Hard no and Dh agrees.

These skids who feel like they are so entitled really p!ss me off. Because they have the bio parents DNA they think they can say and do what they want and be abusive and they will always just be forgiven. That bio parents have to cow-tow to the whims and wishes...well eff that.

Keep your disengagement. I would also suggest therapy. Stepparent PTSD is real. Dont get mad because they are disengaged from you as well - learn how to be at peace with it.

piegirl's picture

Thank you for validating my feelings I really appreciate that. I will look into therapy to deal with all of this - I know it's been said many times before but I wish I knew that all of this was going to happen before I got married!! Would have saved myself the heartache.

bertieb's picture

I consider myself mentally disengaged. I'm happy for DH to go spend time with them, I can do what I want by myself. However, that never happens, he doesn't really push to be around them either. They have weird eating and sleeping schedules. The kids are into gaming and I'm not sure what else but we can't find anything to talk to them about. We go to the house and nobody talks, it's  sooo awkward, I hate it. They never ask us ANY questions or start a conversation. I feel like we are just the present givers in their life and nothing else.

Miss T's picture

I'll start by confessing that I have always had a possessive/jealous streak toward people I love. Not proud of it, but there It is.

I work hard to keep the green-eyed monster in check. It helps that DH has mostly accepted that his kid and I want nothing to do with each other. DH and I are living thousands of miles from SS30, and chances are the worst I'll have to deal with is bi-weekly phone calls, a visit or two, and maybe a wedding and a grand kid. And then the emotional fallout from SS's eventual divorce, which will hit DH hard, but that's some years in the future.

For the moment SS30 is not costing me money and is not an active PITA so I just ignore his existence and my own resentments. That's what I recommend all disengagers work to achieve.

sandye21's picture

DH and I recently went though a divorce.  I disengaged from SD 11 years ago when she charged me with her finger in my face, accusing me of all sorts of crap, while DH ran out the door to avoid any attempt to straighten things out.  I SHOULD have divorced him then.  As a result, I told him she was no longer allowed in my house (which I owned).  I never insisted he cut ties with SD, which was fair, but I never asked about her or brought her up in conversation, and if he brought her up I didn't respond.

So --- after the divorce, guess where he went?  Yes, you got it right - SD.  And now SD is his new 'Mommy'.  I only wish I could be a fly on the wall when she gets tired of taking care of everything for him, including being his financial security blanket and fixing his phone he has had for 10 years and still doesn't know how to accept a call.  That is how I found out where he went - he called his relatives in SD's area but couldn't answer his phone when they returned his call.  LOL LOL

You have to value yourself enough not to accept disrespectful behavior from your Skids but you must insist DH support you as his wife.  If he doesn't dump him immediately.

piegirl's picture

It's funny to think where DH would go, BM already lives with one of the SD's! 

Hesitant to try's picture

Not sure I can call myself disengaged because I never was engaged with SD. She has refused to be in my company since I met my partner almost 3 years ago. I do feel that my SO's relationship with her is a wedge or something in our relatonship. We can be smooth sailing for weeks and then BAM, one contact from her and here we go again. She's horrible to him (and me), he tolerates it, I get mad and upset. Round it goes. To me, it feels like he is accepting and tolerating unreasonable behavior from a person who is disrespectful and unkind to both him and me. If this were his buddy or his boss or our neighbor, we would be outraged. But for some reason, when it's skids who disregard us, we're supposed to understand and accept it. Great to those of you who can make peace with this - truly. But it just rubs me wrong. I've done nothing wrong, I am a good and kind person and I should be treated as such. And to have a partner who doesn't defend you -- well that's not exactly inspiring, is it? 

Last time my SO had contact with SD, I felt like my SO ran into another room to talk to his mistress. He seemed to want to hide it from me, which I get. He knows I'll be upset and he already took a beating from SD, so my being upset just heaps on. 

I understand these partners are in a tough spot because they have children and of course they'd like a relationship with them. But it should be possible for them to have those relationships without making their partners feel less than. I wish I knew the solution.

piegirl's picture

It's good to know I'm not alone. My SDs were divided, 3 not interested in getting to know me and one became really close. Every weekend we would BBQ and have social evenings - we enjoyed each others company and then bam! the dreaded day when she and her DH came to our house to unload all the things they hated since they met me. Not that I want praise but I paid for family holidays because I treated OSD her DH and sgkids like my own. Now there has been no apologies etc but my DH just takes whatever she 'allows' him and is grateful?!?

I'm sorry your in this situation too, it really hurts. I've been with my DH for 9 years now. Take good care of yourself!

MissTexas's picture

with and struggling with disengagement.

We made that decision close to the same time frame.

My situation is a bit different. SK's live in the city and DH HATES THE CITY, so he WILL NOT GO TO THEM, and every since there's been police involvement here, I haven't had to put my eyes on her in quite a while. Thankfully!

I hear so many women say, "Our marriage is great, except for SKs, that's the only time we fight."

If I were in your shoes, I would stil feel a sense of betrayal, after all, marriage is not meant to be lived compartmentally. It is meant for companionship, and like you, I am not welcome anywhere near them or their kids. Sometimes I'm ok with that, and other times I'm resentful.

The most important thing you can do is make sure your needs are being met to the best of your ability.

For example, if SKs are having a get together, you have one. It will keep your mind and hands busy, and you won't feel left out or excluded, as much.

I'm really sending positive energy your way and I'll send up a prayer or two. I know in time the right decision will come to you.

Hugs...and be well!

piegirl's picture

Although the fact that I'm back is not a great sign. Life really is up and down isn't it? It's true, aside from the skids we do have a good life together. In fact when DH goes to be with his kids I make sure I do something I know he wants to do and then he feels he is missing out...I know it's petty but it's the only way to make myself feel not quite as resentful.

lots hugs to you!! Pie x

Lillyrose's picture

I read your post and it's like I wrote it myself. I have been with hubby 8.5 years, married almost 4, have always loved him dearly but his 3 adult daughters (23, 29. & 32) have emotionally worn me out. I feel like you, there is a huge wedge in my marriage bc of this hurtful situation. I had absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into in the beginning. The main problem that I finally had to come to terms with is that hubby is really the problem. He goes along with all the abusive behavior they dish out.

I was single and happy for 5 years before I met him with zero drama in my life. He has been divorced from BM since 2004, nothing to do with me, he got married again in 2007, divorced again in 2010 from another woman. I have been told by his extended family that his girls ran off 2nd wife and she had to get a restraining order on one of them. 

Since he was mostly with me at my home when we first got together, I extended an invitation to his kids to feel welcome in my home anytime. Nothing I did worked. I tried cookouts, having them bday parties, just being nice basically. 
I hoped that as his kids got older and matured they would see how happy hubby was and just chill out. They were never excluded from anything but they grew more disrespectful by the day. They were grown women so it was hard to handle. They weren't cute little kids I could build a relationship with at this point. I decided just to give him space with them bc they did not want anything to do with me or my kids. 

My kids and mother hate to see how this upsets me. I go from hurt, to anger to being discusted. I'm so thankful my own children have turned out to be such kind adults that would never put me or their own dad through anything like this. (But of course I would of never allowed it) 

I'm sorry I don't have any words of wisdom for disengaging. I know it works for some but I find it hard to do personally. Maybe if hubby's daughters weren't so close I could but they are not far. He visits alone 2 times a week, does lunches, takes pizza over etc and I've always been excluded. I really don't even want to be around any of them at this point but I think it should be my choice because I am his wife. Adding to the issue is that he's so caught up in making them happy he puts very little effort into our marriage. He says he's depressed they treat HIM so bad. I wanted to attempt to talk with his daughters together, in a good way to resolve whatever the issue they have is but hubby is terrified that they will disown him. 
I wish you the best piegirl and hope you can feel better and find your solution. 
I totally understand how your feeling and hope you don't have to go through this as long as I have. It has caused so many arguments and sleepless nights for me. 

I found this site not too long ago and it is very helpful to hear what everyone else goes through, how they deal with it and the encouragement others share. 
(hugs) ❤️

Miss T's picture

The first time I attempted to make a gesture to SS, I was fortunate enough to notice that he curled his upper lip at me. It was a quick, brief micro expression but iit registered and I understood it clearly, So from the earliest days I have put myself out for him only enough to maintain mere civility, Seriously, I mean it. I have never lifted a finger for him, nor have I snapped at him or criticized him to his face in any way, although I can't stand him and likely have given him a dirty look now and again. If he crosses a line with me, I protest loudly to his father, who over the years has come to realize that his life is much more pleasant when I'm happy.

I never got caught in the trap of attempting to please someone whose first reaction to me was, essentially, a snarl. And now there's an ocean between us. I'm so sorry you've wasted your efforts and good cheer on a bunch of hooligans, and I hope for you that eventually you can put an ocean between you and them, if only in spirit.

piegirl's picture

I have been here before and for me life is a roller coaster, some days things are wonderful and other times like this, at a real low. I wish you peace too 

pie x

Birchclimber's picture

I just read your post and it got me thinking. 

Where, in any wedding vow, has it been written,

"I Peaknuckle, take you Foofoo to be my spouse.  I promise to be one with you, but not to include you when it comes to my pre-existing family. I promise to pretend that you don't exist so as not to upset them. I promise to keep you safe from harm unless of course that harm comes from my pre-existing family. Then you are fair game. If, as the result of that harm, you choose not to engage with my pre-existing family, on any level, I will honour that decision, and I will do nothing to make it right.  I promise to put you before all others, forsaking all others except for my pre-existing family, until death do us part."

I don't recall ever having agreed to a marriage vow like that. As a matter of fact, I don't recall ever hearing one like that either. I doubt that anyone who is about to marry someone with kids would ever get married if vows were written this way, but it seems as though these vows are more accurate than the ones that we actually signed up with. Something is wrong with this picture.

So I looked up marriage vows and I found all of these. Just as suspected, the spouse is supposed to be the one that we are committed to...before all and anyone else.  

www.younghipandmarried.com

Reading through all of these vows is a good refresher.  We need to draw this to our DH's attention. (FYI...I just realized that this link takes you to a different page than the one that I found the vows on. Just Google wedding vows and hopefully it'll take you directly to this website's page with all the vows.)

I understand not wanting or needing to attend every step kid event. However, there has to be a united front between husband and wife when it comes to the step kids. Perpetuating the fantasy that Dad is still single and that his children are still the centre of his world is completely inaccurate and unfair to the wife who signed up with him. Someone needs to make that right, and I think we all know who that is.  We need to be heard. We need to be respected and we need to have our DHs make good on the promises that they made to US in our marriage. 

Just my opinion...

ESMOD's picture

Marriage is an institution that at it's origination was a lifetime commitment... and the vows you see and the reasoning is that there are two people starting a life together.. it isn't taking into account children or exes in that equation.

I don't think you can entirely expect your spouse to become estranged from their biological children because their spouse and the children have had conflicts or just don't like each other.

They brought those children into this world.. and with that does come some amount of moral obligation to act as their parent.. probably even after adulthood.

BUT.. if a Stepparent has decided that disengagement from that adult skid is best for their own mental health.. that doesn't mean their spouse should have to cut the child off.  Look, there are always two sides to these stories..and usually even many SParents will admit to not having their finest hours when it came to the kids.  Sometimes those scars don't heal.. sometimes the break is too difficult to bridge or one of the parties decides that it isn't worth it to mend that fence in any way.

Disengagement.. it's for you to decide for yourself.. .not for you to decide for your spouse.

Now, I do believe that if a spouse is disengaged from the skids then it is up to the bio parent to navigate that relationship with their child in a way that least harms their relationship with their spouse.  That means not necessarily forcing the spouse to spend time with the child.  And.. yes.. even not allowing the spouse to be a topic of convo with the skid because the bio parent doesn't want to hear disparaging comments about the spouse.  A spouse who is disengaged does likely set up a situation where the bio parent will spend less relative time than if the child was fully accepted in their home.. but that is the compromise isn't it? 

But.. seriously, in so many of these cases. the bio parent themselves really fed into the conflict to begin with.. but in the end, I don't think it's right to believe they should forsake their own biological children because they don't get along with their spouse.

piegirl's picture

Sadly disengagement becomes the only way to protect one's self when DH doesn't dare do anything that might upset his kids, and clearly doesnt protect you either.

Birchclimber's picture

Just to be clear, I don't believe for one minute that a spouse should become estranged from his children.  That's just too painful to watch and we don't want to see our spouses hurting that way.  

I  also believe that it is more than okay for a spouse to disengage when they do not feel validated and respected. Even more so, when there has been abuse whether it be verbal or physical from the step kids. No one needs to subject themselves to abuse.

My issue lies with our DH's complacency when it comes to his children's acceptance of his wife. Yes, most vows don't take into account all of the new family dynamics, but I really don't believe that the key elements of marriage have changed all that much.  We take our vows promising values like love, companionship, support, respect, security and protection. Those things should not be seen as "conditional".  

Ispofacto's picture

Flip the script.  Focus on how relieved you are that you don't have to deal with them.  You are avoiding them, not vice versa.

Catmom024's picture

Yeah unfortunately my SO's daughter, Princess Druggie, had to reproduce and it was like the second coming of Christ.   To make matters worse everyone is always making comments of how the child is a mini me of her deranged mother, Princess Druggie.  BM says her grandchild is her partner in crime and it's like having a little Princess Druggie all over again  ((shudder)).

I've been disengaged for years.   We invited them over for a gift grab about 6 Christmases ago and I haven't laid eyes on them since. It went fine but my SO and her got into a huge fight.  A couple of years ago my SO had a moment of weakness and begged Princess Druggie to bring her kid to see our new farm.  I said she wasn't allowed on the premises after her most recent arrests for drug dealing activities.   My SO of course didn't know anything about the charges (ignoranceis bliss).  She's currently dating a bank robber felon, so I'm still not allowing them here.  

No doubt my SO sees them off site somewhere.   Don't know,  don't care. He can have his own ass kissing festival with them wherever and whenever he wants,  but it's not going to be in our house,  around me.  I'm sure he has secret phone calls to her too but i don't look on his phone.  I deal with it like I deal with all unpleasant things...i ignore it as much as possible. 

Miss T's picture

.. to me is sort of an ideal state which I've never quite achieved, though I would say I'm minimally engaged. So far no weddings, grandskids etc. have disturbed the relative peace.

When it happens, as it has with you, I think the best approach is to be as Zen about it as possible. The reality you've chosen means your DH will have significant relationships that you aren't part of. Nothing for you to do but accept that as calmly as possible, even enjoy it. I happen to welcome some daylight between me and DH, and would lose my  mind if we were all up in each other's business 24/7/365.

So go ahead and limit or forbid access to you and your property as you see fit, and that includes giving your time, attention and money etc. to skids and grandskids. Remember, this is your choice and you're making it to give yourself peace. You will just have to accept the distance it creates between you and DH. You pays your money and you takes your chances.