You are here

SD Teen mom

Crazymess's picture

My SD-19  who is a teen mom with a 1 year old baby got married to baby daddy 6 weeks ago. We continue to pay for her cell phone and car insurance. When I brought it up to DH he said well it’s a family plan so it does not make much of a difference on our phone bill and the insurance it will cost more if they get it just under their names because of their ages so we can pay for it and if they want to pay us monthly for it that is fine if not that is fine too. I talked to him and explained ok we can do it for 6 months while they get settled but after that we are not doing it anymore. They have 6 months to figure out what they are going to do and get financially stable to start making the payment but we are not going to be paying for those expenses.

My issue now is that DH has a savings where his child support money goes into each month it’s not much it’s 2k. We have all other joint accounts but not this one he says it’s just in case we need money we don’t have to touch our main joint savings account where we have the majority of our money and he was going to add me to it but we just haven’t had time to go the bank. I found out Monday that he has been transferring money from that account to SD account because she did not have enough for her car payment and the week before it was because she only had $1.00 in her account and before that she was short because she needed money for school. It makes me mad that she chose to make an adult decision to get married but still needs daddy’s money but it pisses me off even more that my husband never mentioned it to me or talked to me about it. I would have been ok with it and just told him that’s fine but you need to let her know that she can’t make this a habit. Once or twice is fine but not all the time we are already paying for her other expenses. When I asked him why he didn’t tell me he said he just forgot and besides it’s not taking from our household money because it’s CS money and it’s meant for his kids. First of all your kids live with us and I contribute financially to support all our kids so yes that money is for our household and she is 19 your CS payment reflects support for 2 kids not 3. I’m very upset that he would not tell me and I could let it go so were not fighting about it but at the same time I feel like I have to set my boundary right now or else it will escalate into something bigger later on. Should I continue fighting this battle or what would be a good compromise? His daughters poor choices have created a lot of contention in our relationship and in our marriage. That is the one main thing we fight about. As much as I didn’t want her getting married I was kinda glad because that meant she would be out of the house and would be less of an expense for us but now it seems like it’s going to become even more unless we stop it right away.

sandye21's picture

I  went through this too.  DH was paying for EVERYTHING for SD including vacations, meals, etc. and she was so tight she wouldn't even pay for a tip.  When I split the finances and insisted he pay his share of household expenses he was livid but agreed because it was still cheaper than living on his own.  He also became less generous when the money was coming out of his pocket.  DH was also placing money in SDs account when she was making more than he was.  This meant that he was not contributing anything to his retirement.  To this day, if he needed a lot of money I don't think he could pay for a disaster.  But do you think Sd would step in and help him out?  Not on your life.

Crazymess's picture

Do you have any other kids? I can't imagine him being like this with his other 2 kids once they get older. I think part of him does it because he feels bad that she is a young mom and wants to help her out as much as he can but that is on her. I was ok providing for her as long as she lived under our roof.and went to school and had a p/t job. She wanted to leave no one was kicking her out so now you pay your way.

notarelative's picture

DH he said well it’s a family plan so it does not make much of a difference on our phone bill and the insurance it will cost more if they get it just under their names because of their ages ...

DH needs to check with his insurance company. Does family plan, per car insurance company rules, include adult married children in a separate residence? Does family plan include son in law? 

Question for DH. There are other children. Does he intend to do this for them too?

Crazymess's picture

Currently we just have SD not son in law on the insurance. He doesn't own a car and she takes him to and from work. That is something i hadn't thought of if she lives in a seperate residence if she is still covered.I will have to look into it. 

He spoke to SD before she got married on how they planned to handle finances and we had agreed that we would pay the deposit and one months ren't for them to get their own place because i did not want them living with us. At the time he said that is all he would help them with. They ended up not using the money because they moved in with baby daddy's family and told DH that they would get the apartment in a couple of months and they would need the money then.  At the time he probably did all that because he was mad and now has cooled down and accepted the situation and is open to helping them. Who knows he might do the same with his other kids.

fourbrats's picture

and my DIL on my cell phone plan and car insurance but they have to pay me each month for both. Same with both of their cars. DH and each child hold the car loans (he is their stepdad) but they pay each month before the due date. They end up savings a significant amount of money this way which they can use towards other necessities. DS is married and a father of two, DD is in a serious relationship. 

Now, they rule is they have to pay it to DH and I each month. We have made few exceptions to that. The month DIL was off work to give birth to grandson number 2 we allowed them to skip the insurance and cell bill, although they still made the car payment for example. If they choose not to pay then they have to get their own policies and cell phone plans and the cars revert back to us. 

Crazymess's picture

I would not be opposed to an arrangement like. That would work fine for me as long as they make the payment and SD doesn't call dad each month asking for money.. I know my husband would not have the heart to cancel her phone or insurance so it might have to be who makes the call and look like the evil step mom.

fourbrats's picture

around here lol. I have no problem canceling service if the kids don't do what they need to do. I would only have an issue taking my son's car because he has two small children but in the end I would still do it. My kids rarely ask me for anything so I don't mind helping them out like this. If they were asking for money I wouldn't be okay with keeping them on my plans. 

Rags's picture

Nope... this would be grounds for a scalping were I you.  I could not immagine either my bride or I supporting a worthless family member without prior discussion and agreement on the topic. 

As I said... Nope.  SD is a breeder, she is married and she and her baby daddy need to sink or swim on their own.

Crazymess's picture

That is what upsets me the most is the no agreement or discussion about it and the going behind my back. Everything else we talk about but when it comes to his daughter he doesn't say anything because he knows it causes disagreements between the both of us.

SugarSpice's picture

crazymess, i am sorry to hear this.  my dh was doing this with one of his daughters.  she was into drugs and seemed to have a car accident every time she turned around.  what did dh do?  bought her a new car each time.  after the third one i told h to get her off our auto insurance of she will have some poor person she maimed sue us.  dh did that thankfully.

i still think he co signed for her latest car behind my back but shes no longer on our policy.  dh can still however be paying for her insurance behind my back.