You are here

Sick of Adult SD acting like a 10 year old

Shannon61's picture

Most of you here know my story. I married DH a few years ago and moved in w/him and SD. She'll turn 28 this year and still lives with us. Today she got up and called in sick because she has a cold. The drug stores make a ton of stuff for colds so we can manage to do our jobs and doctor on ourselves at the same time. Mind you she's only been on this job for a little over a month - but when you still live at home w/daddy and his name is on the mortgage - you're not concerned about keeping a roof over your head because you know you can fall back on daddy. I've had far worse colds or cramps and took my behind to work because I had deliverables.

In the meantime, I get home and she's sniffling, and coughing . . looking pathetic. Now I don't enjoy seeing anyone sick, but this kiddie routine is repulsive. She opened her bedroom door, so we could see how sick she was thereby exposing us to her germs. She's acting like she's the first person to ever have a cold and doesn't have enough common sense to take something for it . . even though she's been coughing for the last 3 hours . . and she doesn't cover her mouth when she coughs. Clearly she's going for the drama effect. Do other adults SDs/SSs act this way? I just want to yell at her "grow the F up"!

I cooked dinner and told DH to tell SD I cooked and she could come and eat. She didn't reply. In preparing to put away the food - because I don't have all frikkin night - he told me "maybe you should ask her again if she's going to eat." I didn't say a word. I walked to the kitchen, put up the food, cleaned the dishes and turned off the lights. Why do we have to ask her more than once if she's going to eat like she's 10 or something? Isn't that what you do w/smaller kids? She has a cold for crying out loud . .not malaria! Is it just me? Somebody set me straight please! Am I lacking compassion here or is she behaving like a 10 year old? I can't wait for this girl to leave our house! Comments please!

iloveit's picture

RIDICULOUS. No you most certainly are not lacking compassion, that's just silly. This is something that would send me straight over the edge as well.

We don't live with SD's but one time I heard my SO on the phone with SD23 and he was speaking really softly and telling her she needed to rest and drink fluids blah blah blah. I wanted to throw up myself. Oh and another time...this is outrageous I can't even believe it happened but: SD23 went to some outdoor concert for like 2 days (kinda like Woodstock) and came home with poison ivy ALL OVER/INSIDE HER VAGINA!!! Yup, she WIPED herself with it and then was in deep trouble and had to get sterroid cream! If you had to be that stupid, wouldn't you call your doctor and THEN your mother to talk about it???? Nope she calls daddy and explains in detail what happened!!! I was more than annoyed and uncomfortable about that one. She had no money so SO had to meet her at the doc's to give her money to pay for it. She's such a moron. I told him it was inappropriate for him to discuss that with her and if he ever told me another story like that about her again I would leave.

I'm sorry but if you have the sniffles you GO TO WORK. If you're that sick you should at least make an effort and put in a half day if nothing else. I'm like you Shannon...I'm at work when I'm sick because I can't afford taking the time off and I would rather use it for vacation if I can.

Eyes Wide Open's picture

You know, a very wise old lady once told me, "There is no house in the world big enough for two grown women". This was said a very long time ago, and still rings true today!

iloveit's picture

I have never heard that before but I LOVE it. It is absolutely true. When you said that I thought of my mother and wondered if that would be an exception but - now in my 30's I cannot imagine us living together. You're right, it would never work!!

stepmasochist's picture

I heard somewhere that the Chinese symbol for either misery or war is two women under one roof. LOL!

Mominator's picture

My YSD (now 19) was that way when she lived with us.....total drama queen, gimme-all-the-attention, and acted like a helpless 8 year old. Once she was puking in the bathroom and sitting on the floor in front of the toilet, looking all sad and weapy, and asked her dad to come wipe her face with a wash cloth........which he did........

.......I went to the office that day telling my friends about it.....OH, WE HAD A GOOD LAUGH...we were joking about how she probably wanted him to "hold her hair" too.

It was the most pathetic thing I'd ever seen coming from a 18 year old.

And yes, every time she'd get a cold, we'd recommend drinking the Emergen-C we leave on the kitchen counter year round, but she'd rather get sympathy than actually get better. Her mom is the same way....they create sickness/drama so that people give them attention.

irritatedgal's picture

She's behaving like a 3-year old. You are not lacking in compassion. You should talk to your hubby about getting this mooch out of your house-it's a decade overdue.

sandye21's picture

- he told me "maybe you should ask her again if she's going to eat." -

Maybe YOU should ask her? WTF??? Why doesn't HE ask her? It sounds like he has made it YOUR job to accommodate her. That needs to stop. She needs to go. If he wants her to stay and remain in perpetual 5 year old maturity land, it should be HIS responsibility to take care of her needs.

Shannon61's picture

I love this site I swear. Thanks to everyone who commented. The post about the vagina and poison ivy was too funny. And here I thought my SD was the biggest moron in the world.

Ok, here we are at 2 day. SD called in sick .. again. How many of you would use two precious sick days for a common cold? She's ridiculous and pathetic. She's so stupid, she doesn't have enough common sense to cover her mouth so last night I told DH to tell her to cover it or I would. A child would know better. WTF. Again, she'll be 28 this year. She was so desperate for attention from daddy, that she kept her door open (usually she closes it). So now DH has the cold and is looking pathetic. I'm good because I stayed away from her, covered up my beverages, kept my door closed and have been running around wiping everything with Clorox wipes.

I cooked last night (usually only cook once a week Smile ) and she cooked the night before so I told DH to tell her dinner was on the table as a courtesy. I feel that if I weren't here DH would have put some on a plate for her and took it to her. But he knows I'd ream him but good. He doesn't realize the damage he's already done.

The good news is she's getting married next year . . thank God . . so her fiance will have to put up with her stupid BS. After she gets married that "attention getting acting like a baby" crap is going to get old real quick. He wants to marry a woman not a little girl . . . sickening.

Eyes Wide Open . .you are so right. There is no house in the world big enough for 2 grown women . . . especially when one acts like a 10 year old and is lazy to boot. As much as I love my mother we could never live together again. She wouldn't want it nor would I. Nothing would make me happier than a moving truck pulling up tomorrow, loading up her shi! :sick:

Shannon61's picture

Sourgirl you are a riot. I can't stop laughing. Your post reminds me of the fact that my SD doesn't wash her hands either (our bedroom is next to the bathroom) . . .yuk. I also wanted to tell her . ..as nasty as you keep your bedroom, I'm surprised you don't have something far worse than a virus. I've never met a young lady so lazy and nasty in my entire life. God help our future generations of young women.

Mominator's picture

It's not the hygiene, it's all about the DRAMA and ATTENTION. If you pay attention, most, if not all of these girls BM's are the SAME WAY. My DH said his ex drove him nuts with running her to the emergency room for every little thing...migraines, fibermialgia, you name it, she had him RUNNING. YSD learned from the best. I swear, mamma was picking her up here MONTHLY and running her to the pediatrician over the littlest shit and making such a drama out of everything, EVERY TIME.

Now that YSD is officially out of our house, and disengaged/won't speak to dear daddy, guess what????

No more Dr. office visits. And I know because we get the statements & bills.

Hard to be all dramatic and sick and try and compete with mommy under the same roof, huh sweetie??? LOL --- Mommy wants ALL THE ATTENTION, not you.

no-win-situation's picture

I can relate. Last night SD 20, texted DH & said she had the stomach flu. DH was already in bed but mentioned it this morning all concerned. I was up when SD came home last night, she was high on weed (as usual) & proceeded to eat the contents of our fridge. What stomach flu??? Tonight SD came home in the early evening slept for about 4 hours & then said she had to get out to "socialize" at the bar she works 2 nights a week. DH is so worried that she's sick a lot. WTH? When a person is really sick they tend to not want to go out all the time. It's an excuse for her bad behavior. I wish I had a SD that I could relate to but I have come to realize that unfortunately Step daughters just mostly suck. Sad

Shannon61's picture

Touche no-win. Before we got married I told DH since had a daughter, I was allowed to get a doggie, since we decided not to have children. Back then it was a joke, but now I mean it more than ever.

DH just knocked on SD's door, asked if he could open it and proceeded to ask her if she were ok? Now, let's see . . does she have MRSA, food poisoning, a broken leg, limited mobility? WTF . . no she has a common cold. Why are these pathetic DHs treating and allowing their adult daughters to behave like children . . by coddling and enabling them into weak pathetic creatures who won't be able to handle adversity in any form? I'm truly ready to throw up. :sick: