You are here

I hate my SS11. Vent/where do I go from here?

ekat's picture

This is long. It also involves talk of sexual abuse.

I searched the site and see that I am not alone in this, but I haven’t seen any recent posts.

I started this off by posting some background details but it was getting very long. So if you care to read that I’ll leave it at the bottom of this. But to cut to the chase: the issue is that I HATE my stepson. I have never had a feeling like this towards anyone in my life. I cannot enjoy anything if he’s present. I try to avoid him at all costs. And the primary reason, among many reasons, is due to him sexually abusing/engaging in inappropriate touch with my daughter (who I have with SS’ dad, my fiancé) on 3 separate occasions. 

Prior to the 3 incidents, he would creep me out with the way he stared at her if she was in the bath or getting a diaper change. I never mentioned it to my fiance and thought maybe I was being sensitive due to how I already had a disconnect with him. One day, when she was about 4 months old, she was on her play mat and started to cry. I had been putting something in the kitchen and when I came out he was in her face and in an aggressive, hushed tone (he knew I was right nearby) he was going "Stop it! Stop crying! You better stop!" wagging his finger in her face. We do not speak like that at home and certainly not to our infant daughter, so it totally threw me. After that he was not ever alone with her. But that didn't stop him.

Our daughter was between 13 months-15 months when these instances happened. She is 20 months now. SS was 10/11. He is 11 currently. The first time was when he was at the table eating and my daughter was walking around, she had just started walking. I was in the kitchen and when I looked into the dining room my SS (who I have had weird feelings about even before my daughter was born) had a weird grin on his face and was looking down. When I bent down and looked under the table I saw his hand holding her hand over his crotch and rubbing. He had sweatpants on. When he noticed me he pushed her hand away. I yelled “What are you doing!?” which scared my daughter and she started crying. So I tended to her and went and told his Dad what I saw. He spoke to him about it. That was kind of that. But my radar was on.

A couple weeks later SS was in the kitchen and my daughter walked towards him. She was wobbly as a new walker and kind of stumbled forward and her hand was reaching up. My SS spread his legs and stood there and kind of stuck his pelvis forward as my daughters hand landed on his crotch. My fiancé was there and saw that, although it didn’t look as bad as the first time..but it made me feel sick due to what had previously occurred. In that moment my fiancé told his son to move her hands. My SS said “I just didn’t want her to fall.” 

Not long after that, same situation at the table. Except I was sitting diagonally across from my SS. I knew my daughter was walking around. Again, I saw the sickly grin on his face and when I looked under the table I saw his hand holding her hand on his crotch AGAIN. Again he was in sweatpants. But he was quick to back away from the table and push her hand away as soon as I bent down to look. He said “She just put her hand there when you looked, I was moving it.” YEAH RIGHT. And he had the galls to do it in my presence, which makes me sick to think about what he’s capable of if no adult was around.

That was it for me. I saw every shade of red. I left my daughter with my fiancé. Told my SS to get out of my face and to his room. Then I went up and I screamed like I have never screamed at anyone before. I didn’t even recognize my own voice. I hit him. I did. I slapped him across the face and told him to stay away from her. I lost it. Since then there has been little to no interaction between my daughter and him outside of hi/bye as he goes to and from school or something. And I intend to keep it that way. Honestly I think about how he’ll be 18 in a little over 6 years and then be gone. And I can spend the rest of my children’s lives (I am due with a baby boy in November) more relaxed because he will be GONE.

Outside of the abuse (my fiance thinks it's extreme to call it sexual abuse, I don't know what else to call it), he is just an incredibly weird kid. Poor hygiene, no friends, no social skills, complete lack of common sense and intellect (see below). He is as dull as a doornail and seemingly has no personality. He’s always been that way since I’ve known him which is part of why I’ve had a hard time connecting with him. He doesn't show much interest or passion about anything. He takes no initiative towards anything in life and has zero integrity. He will do the right thing only if he knows someone is watching. There is no part of his character that I want around my children and influencing them in any way. He talks in a little baby voice that makes my skin crawl. He is sneaky and manipulative and a persistent liar. Anyway, I typed all that below. So feel free to read.

Basically I came here to vent. I know I need therapy (I know he needs therapy as well, but I leave that to his father to handle as part of me disengaging). But part of me worries that therapy’s goal will be to make me feel okay about what happened and encourage a relationship with my SS. I do not want any type of relationship with him. I do not want my children to have a relationship with him. But my daughter is so young and obviously has no idea what happened, so when she sees him she’ll smile and say “hi!” and I scoop her up and go elsewhere. I don’t want her to want to be around him. But she doesn’t understand. I don’t know how to navigate that as she gets older. “Stay away from your half brother because he made you rub his penis when you were a baby”? I don’t want any part of her life messed up because of him. I want to just keep him away and let distance do it’s thing. My hope is that her and her baby brother will have a strong bond and the appeal of hanging out with big brother won’t even be there. They’re so far apart in age anyway, what is there to bond over? Ugh. I spiral with all of my thoughts.

Thanks for reading. And for any advice or “I can relate” you can offer. I don’t even know where to go from here. More background on SS is below.

———————————————————————————————————-  

SS11 background: Bio mom lives in Germany and is useless and not at all involved in his life except for a phone call maybe once or twice a year. He has an older half sister that is institutionalized due to mental health issues. He has a younger half brother that also has behavior issues. All 3 kids are from different fathers. SS lived in Germany with his dad (my fiancé) for the first 7 years of his life. My fiancé’s Dad was military and his parents helped take care of SS for the first 2 or 3 years of his life before they moved. SS and Dad continued to live there for another 4 years or so. SS attended school on an American military base, he was never immersed in the German culture/language/etc. (I say this because it has been brought up on several occasions how maybe he has a language barrier issue and that plays a part in his developmental disabilities. No. He has been born and raised and educated in English his entire life.) The only traumatic instance that I am privy to is that SS witnessed domestic violence on one occasion between bio mom and one of her boyfriends when he was around 5 years old. I also know he was exposed to rated R movies at a young age when visiting Mom. But visits with Mom were few and far between over those 7 years. There is also suspicion on behalf of my fiancé and members of his family that she may have been smoking or drinking during pregnancy. However, she denies this.

Anyway, fast forward and SS has been living with his dad and I for the past 3 years. So I have only been in his life since he was about 8/9. He spends the summers out of state with his grandparents (thank God). SS had behavior issues in Kindergarten, getting kicked out a couple of times due to physical fights with other kids. He has not had behaviors like that since Kindergarten/1st grade. But he has struggled in school academically from day 1 and has been on an IEP since 2nd grade. He has had an evaluation and been diagnosed with ADHD and “memory problems”. Whatever that means. He struggles in every subject. Fails assignments in every subject on a regular basis. We’re talking 20s and 30s or worse. Yet somehow skirts by with As and Bs come report card time thanks to “classwork and participation”. SS is also very quiet and obedient (until you catch him lying), he will do whatever you tell him to do (in an unhealthy way, it is not normal to be so complacent and never question anything). He is a teacher’s dream student, sitting quietly at his desk with hands folded and talks in a very baby-ish tone. They eat it up and it makes me sick. 

Since he has lived with us we have had issues with lying and sneakiness regarding various things. Some typical, some very not typical for an 11 year old. He is manipulative and comfortable with his lies and never shows any type of remorse or apology when he is caught in a lie. Ever. He lacks common sense and is incredibly socially awkward. He does not have friends. His mannerisms are bizarre and his lack of common sense and social skills combined with lack of intellect is a very scary combination in my opinion. He didn’t even know WHERE HIS TOES WERE last summer. I digress. When you talk to him it’s like talking to a 6 year old. His conversations do not make sense half the time. He talks in circles, either due to lying or just due to issues with his intellect. It’s painful to talk to him.

When we visited my fiancé’s family over the summer, his parents noticed that there was not much of a connection between SS and our daughter. My fiancé’s Dad apparently asked SS if we let him play with her, my SS said no. When he asked my fiancé about this, he was honest and shared why we don’t allow SS much interaction with her. Do you know what my mother-in-law said? “Maybe he didn’t know it was wrong.” I was beside myself when he told me this. They baby him and enable and justify his behavior. “He’s just a boy”, “he’s young”, “he doesn’t know any better”, blah, blah, blah. He has 3 cousins his age and they have all said to their grandparents that they treat SS differently.

I could go on. This is long enough. Thank you for reading.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I think you should tell your husband you are worried about SS and you think therapy would help. Make sure the therapist knows about the incidents. This will get SS mental help but will also get it on record. I think you should also go to therapy with your husband and talk to the therapist about how you feel he is minimizing the incidents. Either your DH will realize how serious the problem is and actually do something about it and SS will get the help he needs, or he won't and you will have it on record with 2 different professionals that SS is dangerous and your husband fails to protect the younger kids, and you can use that in court. Also, never let SS alone with his younger siblings even for a minute. If your DH is not completely on board with that, you will need all the ammunition you can get when you go for full custody and supervised visitation only. 

Harry's picture

Either send SS to his BM or you have to move out. This is not going to get better. You can not live with you playing police all day and night long..   Get cambers. Coving the hallway to DD bed room.  In DD room and living rooms.  Who knows what he doing at night.  

CajunMom's picture

Sexual abuse by an 11 year old predator. Why is that predator still in your home? Why are you still there? Your child is innocent and she is being subjected to sexual abuse. As Harry said, you CANNOT police this kid or any predator. They get smarter and smarter with their abuse and like Harry said, what's going on at night?????

Your SS needs immediate help. I've said this before (and recently so there are recent posts), if Child Services finds out you've left your 20 month old child around a KNOWN abuser, you risk loosing your own biological kid to protective custody. Act now. Your boyfriend is a doofus is he doesn't see this as sexual abuse. How would he like being forced to put his hand on someone's crotch area???

Note: I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse that lasted way too many years. Don't let this happen to your daughter.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

She needs some kind of legal documentation, though. Worst case she and SO split up and SO gets any custody at all besides supervised. 

CajunMom's picture

this should have been reported to the authorities. If not the first incident, then the second which was clearly seen by OP. I don't give two you know what's with this kind of behavior. Reporting him will get it out in the light and hopefully, he can be helped. But my child(ren) would not be left anywhere near this kid, day or night. I'd sleep with my kids if the SO/DH can't get him into a residential treatment center. Doors locked.

Rags's picture

and from any access to younger children. No school, nothing. Turn him into an over medicated drooling zombie until he turns 18 then.... cut him loose.

The father of your young children needs to protect his children from a sexual preditor. That that predator is his failed family progeny, is irrelevant.

Get this kid gone.... and daddy too if he will not man up and solve the problem.

Great job in jerking a knot in the pervert's tail. Keep it up.

Grrrrrr!

Nea

notsurehowtodeal's picture

You need to protect your daughter, and SS needs help. You need to have one "come to Jesus" talk with your DH and give him the chance to do the right thing. If he won't, then either you and your daughter move out, or DH and SS move out. SS needs to be in therapy now, not months or weeks from now. DH needs to take this seriously, if SS is doing it with your daughter, he is also doing it with other kids.

In the  meantime, cameras need to go up and locks need to go on the doors. You need to protect your daughter at all times, which, as you know, is going to be almost impossible. What are you currently doing at night?

Harry's picture

You must get him out or you get out.  His BF Ishtar doing anything. He's not going to change.  Call the police and start documenting this.  

Elizmama3's picture

First off I hope you are ok, it's been a while since you've posted. From the pov of a young child who was abused and mom tried separating as you are, run. Take your daughter and never let SO have custody alone around SS. At 11, he knows better and will continue to try and the older he gets the more abuse it will be, it will be more than just touch over sweat pants! If Dad doesn't think much of it and won't do anything about it, leave! That kid has got to go. 

BanksiaRose's picture

Most CSA is perpetrated by older children. Also, I have worked with the perpetrators, and believe me, they do not develop their tastes in adulthood. This type of perp is hardly ever outwardly aggressive and violent, even those in adult jails. They're all sickly sweet, and that's how they get to kids, who don't know any better. 
Your daughter might not retain a conscious memory of what he did to her, but she is now a victim of repeat CSA. You saw three instances, but I can guarantee there's plenty more you didn't see. The fact that he's now bold enough to do it in front of adults is very bad news in terms of assessing recidivism. You can not save this boy, you don't have the required resources, no layperson has the required resources. He needs to be in an institution for young sex offenders with a strict program and 24/7 supervision. And even then he'll look for opportunities to reoffend, perhaps against other participants of the program that are easier to victimise. 
Caregivers not taking offending behaviors seriously is another factor in increased recidivism. 
Your best plan of action is to report this to the police and move him out, or, if your husband disagrees, move you and your daughter out. If this gets reported by someone else and it turns out that you knowingly did not report it to the authorities, you will be seen as a neglectful mother placing your daughter at risk in favour of your relationship with husband and you're likely to have your daughter removed with no contact or supervised contact only. You'll also be monitored by the social services for your new baby and risk having him taken away at birth. 

Rags's picture

Very close friends of ours surrendered a child they had adopted because he would not stop mollesting kids on the school bus, in school, etc... They had him in a number of residential programs that were not successful.  To protect their younger adopted son, other kids, and their resources from law suits by victim's families, they reversed the adoption. It broke their hearts, but... they did not feel they had a choice.

He ended up assaulting a staff member at a residential behavioral ranch and charges were pressed. That was the final straw for our friends and they legally disolved the adoption surrendering the kid back to the State a couple of years before he turned 18. He was with them for nearly 10yrs.

A sexual preditor has zero place in a home or family with young children.  Even if it is the preditor's own family and the preditor is a minor themselves.

IMHO of course.

BanksiaRose's picture

Until I got to know that population (with their respective biological and adoptive/foster families attached)  through work. I used to think that these were kids that just got unlucky with their parents and with some love and informed support, they would turn out good. Well, some of them really do and it warms my heart to see them do well, but these are few and far between. 

The kids that are up for foster care/adoption are usually from very problematic extended families with various disorders that usually have a strong aggressive, violent, oppositional or other unmanageable bahavior component - the inherited issue. The second issue is that nobody in their broader family wants them,  which means that either the family is severely messed up, or the kids' behaviors are severely messed up, or both. Usually it's both. 

Enter the naive foster parent, social worker and teacher who think that all this kid needs is love. You end up with a lot of burnt out adults, that often end up with strokes, heart attacks, hypertension, diabetes etc., and the kid running off into the sunset as soon as they have either depleted the carer, or, at the latest, when they've turned 18, back to their dysfunctional parents arms to do drugs together, get knocked up and ride the welfare gravy train, prostitute themselves on certain websites for $5, or all three at once. 
I have seen this happen with kids that everyone thought were finally going somewhere, that two 6 digit salaries worth were spent for their upkeep in the government system every year while they lived in special homes for kids with severe behavior issues. All to waste. 

I sometimes wonder how many parallels there are with some of those kids living in parent +stepparent families, having been pulled out from a junky or otherwise defective parent's house.

Rags's picture

The absence of those types of studies is remarkably telling IMHO.

Over the years I have read a number of comprehensive studies.  Some that counter the narative that authority organizations broadcast.  Those studies get a very brief time in the light... then they pretty much disappear and are extremely difficult to find.

Apparently anything about socially sensitive topics have to confirm the desired narrative or they go away.  I know, very conspiracy theory of me. But, true story.

The foster system, adoption, toxic COD outcomes in blended families, etc... are topics that if the studies exist are likely to be next to impossible to resurect for review.

Our friends who surrendered their adopted child are very successful.  Their kids have it all. Great schools, a beautiful home, involved parents, etc....  Their eldest has been surrendered for several years. Their youngest is sadly not fairing well either though not to the catastrophic level of the eldest.  I have always found it puzzling that they have included their adopted sons' BioFamilies in their lives.  Both families with a number of half sibs by various fathers and multigenerational failure by adults.  Our friends are good hearted people who want to help.  Sadly, their good hearts and drive to help at risk kids have built significant misery in their lives.

My Uni BFF and his wife adopted her niece from the delivery room.  Even with a brilliant and successful dad (my friend is truly an outstanding person) it is a constant battle of nurture against nature with this kid.  The BioMom is a serially partnered individual with 3 daughters.  Her eldest she had with her XH.  She cheated, got knocked up by her geriatric BF's grandson.  Yep.  She cheated on her XH with a geriatric sugar daddy then got knocked up by GrandPa sugar daddy's grand son. 

XH booted her ass and raised their daughter .  She was pregnant with the cheat baby when she met a fairly long term new BF. She had the baby and the BF accepted the baby as his own.  About 5yrs later she got knocked up by the BF who accepted her cheat baby.  During the pregnancy he figured out she is a POS and kicked her out and wanted nothing to do with HIS baby with her.  At that time my BFF and his DW had just been approved as approved adoptive parents by the State.  They chose to adopt the DW's niece.  So, both the BM and the BioDad surrendered their parental rights and my BFF and his DW adopted their neice out of the delivery room.  The BM surrendered custody of her second daughter to the BF who fathered her 3rd daughter. So, BM is 3 for 3 in abandoning her kids.

BFF's daughter was a hellion of a young child.  To the point that my BFF would not expose us to her after she was about 4.  He was embarrassed by her.  We have not seen his wife in years because she pretty much refuses to be in public with the kid.  Their DD is now about 16.  Far more tolerable as a teen but very sullen and seemingly coniving.  My BFF indicates that while he intended to give his DD the world, Uni education, etc.... At 18 she is on her own.  He/they won't kick her out, but he will not burn his money on her.  They put their eldest niece through a high cost beauty school (a big name stylist and hair product magnate founded the school). Thugh an honors graduate and apparently a color wizard she never did much with it because she would not engage in the basics of hygiene and appearance that success in that field requires.

That good people with good intentions have their lives notably destroyed by those they are trying to help is sad.  Truly sad.

To usurp a term learned from my brilliant bride, the success rate for these situations seems to be "materially insignificant" when compared to the rate of negative outcomes.

Logically, the outcomes for blended families dealing with children with a toxic parent in the opposition, or worse if dealing with a toxic parent in the blended marriage, are not stellar as there are some parallels to foster/adoptive situations.  Though STalk is likely not representative of the full population of blended families.  After all, people do not come here because their blended family situation is without drama.

Your commitment to a career helping people in difficult situations is commendable.  Just don't forget to take care of and protect  yourself and  your heart.

Give rose

Dogmom1321's picture

PLEASE leave for the safety of your own daughter. File a police report and emergency custody order to not have DD ANYWHERE around your bf. And get out of dodge. 

Harry's picture

Either SS  Gets sent somewhere  BM .MIL,  SIL.   Or HD Takes his DS and moves out.  This will never stop. It will get worst. Look it up,. You are looking at a sexual abuse DD and a SS in jail.  Talk about a screw up relationship.  You the mother must stop this abuse.  At all cost including your responsibility with this man.  How can you love ,respect,  a man who is allowing this to happen. ??  You can't 

Winterglow's picture

It all boils down to... Do you care more about your daughter or your husband's son? It's as simple as that. Turn him in for his own sake. He needs help.

Lillywy00's picture

He needs to be sent to a mental health facility for treatment because your daughter is not safe in that house with him there - at 11 he has probably be a victim himself to know how to do these things but that doesn't excuse his behavior  

Your husband is an idiot for minimizing his sons very inappropriate behavior and if I were you, I'd have a very hard time being intimate with a man who allows his daughter to be abused with no recourse.