You are here

I need advice. Don't know what else to do.

rnred's picture

I have been with my husband for 8 years. We have been married for 4 years. I have a BD and he has 4 BDs. In the last 3 years, we have taken in his 3 oldest BDs. Their ages are 18, 16, 15. My BD is 12. My issues are with my husband and not my SDs. I love my SDs and we all get along fine. They treat my BD just like one of their sisters. In the last 3 years of adding the children into our household, I have taken care of all the children's needs since my husband does not attempt to do anything for the girls. The girls came to us from their BM and they were not being taken care of even though I was paying to have all the children covered for health, dental and eye insurance through my job. I had to arrange for the girls to go the dentist, eye doctor, and the oldest had to have foot surgery that she was suppose to have when she was 11 otherwise she would grow up with spine and leg issues. We got the two oldest girls 3 years ago and we were putting off taking in anymore of his children until the oldest went to college since we only have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. Well, last year my husband broke his wrist and was out of work for 7 months during this time his 3rd daughter attempted suicide in order to get away from her BM. I took her in on the spot even though I was the only one working and we were struggling to pay the bills. We have claimed bankruptcy now because of the financial strain. My husband has been working since March but works long hours during the week. Again, this daughter came to us with lack of health care and I have had to arrange to have her taken care of. Here is my issue with my husband, I am left to take care of all the children and their needs. I take off work to take them where they need to go. I work until 4:30pm and have to come home and take care of the house as well as pick up or drop off the kids for sports and social activities. I have continually spoken to my husband about the strain of having to take time off from my job to take the kids to their multiple appointments as well as not having help with taking care of the house. He states he is too new in his job and cannot take any time off. He tries to help around the house on the weekends but I constantly have to tell him what needs to be done. He takes the kids to dentist appointments because we can schedule those for before he goes to work in the mornings, but otherwise that is it. I handle all the finances because my husband doesn't want anything to do with them. He wants a weekly allowance, which he constantly complains isn't enough, and does not want to deal with bills or bill paying. So, I struggle to keep the house organized since we went from 3 people in the house to 6, making sure we have enough money to pay the bills as well as all the added expenses of the children, taking care of the kids, making dinner each night because he comes home late and wants a meal waiting for him, and work full time. He doesn't listen to me when I talk to him and complain about anything. So now I feel like I went from raising one child to now raising children that aren't even mine and him acting like he is one of my children. He states he can't do anything because he has to work and because of his job he can't do things for the kids. So, do I stop doing things for the kids because it is too much for me and then the kids suffer? Then, if I continue to take care of my daughter, I cause problems with jealousy and they alienate my daughter and hate me. I am so angry with my husband all the time and he says I'm too defensive and I worry too much. He constantly questions me whenever I spend any money on my BD or spend time with her. He wants to know exactly how much I spend on her and always asks if I take her somewhere if I am going to take one of the other girls. It's like I have to justify anything I do or spend on my own child. He constantly groups my BD in with his girls which at times is not age appropriate. I punish my daughter when I need to and his girls are never punished for doing or not doing the same things. He says he talks to them about their behavior and then they continue to do the same things because there are no consequences to their actions. I even thought about separating the money so he would have to take responsibility but when I did that I got so angry because he wouldn't even be able to afford to pay only half the bills. So now I have figured out not only do I do everything, I am supporting his children!!!! I need help and would appreciate all comments. Thanks.

Dinaquan21's picture

My husband has three kids and I don't have any. He is also a chef that works 70-80 hrs a week along with having a weekly round trip of 3 hours to pick them all up. He does this so that I can watch them and during the school year I have the oldest all to myself. He's 15 and I'm 27. I did get very aggravated at first at the amount of responsibility that I was to quietly endure. Your situation seems far worse but the responsibility is still there for you. My husband knows how hard it is on me having none to parenting 3 by myself because he works all the time and tries to aleviate as much as possible. I swear his oldest son came to live with us my hubby never saw his own son b/c he works all the time. I suggest to you before this ruins your marriage that you have a long nice talk with that man of yours because you have every right to be heard. You need help and I don't care if he's too busy he has got to make time for his children. Your responsibility is to help with them not do it all.

Orange County Ca's picture

You should be doing 60% of the work. He does 40%. At least in your eyes because he'll be thinking the same thing.

If you're doing more than your share then you just don't do the rest of it. They'll live. Explain to your girl - she's old enough now - that you care too much for her to let her makes the mistakes her "sisters" are making. You can't stop them but you do love her enough to stop her. It's difficult and not fair - admit that to her - but she'll have to take your word for it that it's in her best interest.

There's an exception to everything I say.