You are here

I struggle with the choice that so many make to spawn with an inept parent in second+ marriages.

Rags's picture

:?

I don't get it. So many people in blended family marriages, many for years, decide to spawn with a partner who has proven themselves repeatedly though demonstratration of parental ineptitude to be unworthy or incapable of being a decent parent.

It seems that these folks are gluttons for punishment.

If someone beats their head against an immovable object repeatedly for years at what point does the lesson sink in?

Many spend years of heartache and angst tolerating their SO destroying children, straining marriages, bankrupting households with Disney parent characteristics and suddenly ..... BOOM.... Hey, lets spawn so you can ruin my child(ren) and pollute my gene pool too!!!!!!

Why? :?

This not a rare thing, it appears to be nearly the norm. Insanity is repeatedly trying the same thing and expecting a different result yet so many Sparents decide to not only continue to tolerate an inept parent as a partner but decide that spawning that a parental failure idiot is a good idea.

Someone, please splain me this?

misSTEP's picture

LOL

thinkthrice's picture

It takes awhile for SM to realize that her DH is part of the problem. That "window of inopportunity" is when most SMs make the poor decision to breed with their DH.

Sweet T's picture

I remember when I was drinking the loon's kool-aid ( the first year of my marriage) that BM knew how to push the Loon's buttons. I thought this until he threatened to punch her for being 5 minutes early to pick up the kids, with his fist balled up and his arm drawn back. Then I thought oh, but he will never do that to me... he did. Now my precious child is saddled with a complete a$$hole for a father. Someone who will never be normal.

zerostepdrama's picture

It's like the mistress who thinks her lover will never do to her what he did to his wife because she is so much better then the wife.

It took me 1 year to realize that my DH is a pretty sucky parent and that if we had children it would never work out between us and we would end up divorced, so we do not have children together. I am not that dumb.

Now for those that have kids and their DH is already a great parent- good for them.

Indigo's picture

When my BS was in elementary school, the head of the PTO was a mother who had been part of the school landscape for over 20 years. First batch of kids aged out into middle school and she divorced. Next crop of kids including stepkids arrived and within 7 years, she moved into another relationship. Last I saw, her youngest BD was starting kindergarten. She was danged good at car pools, birthday parties, soccer games, Scouting and parent/teacher conferences.

I always wondered if subconsciously that mother simply enjoyed the younger kids and her role in their lives. I'm not expressing that correctly, but it seemed as if she was getting a payoff that had nothing to do with the actual children.

TASHA1983's picture

Yes! With roots and wings to fly off to their OWN LIVES and let us enjoy what is left of OUR lives either solo or with our SO! That is the INTENDED purpose of it all... Smile

I have one, S12, and that is ALL I want...I can't understand the mindset of women who want to keep having more and more for long periods of time...Don't you want freedom and a life of your own?! Blows my mind! :?

ctnmom's picture

That's disordered thinking. Disclaimer: I always worked, kept my foot in the door when my kids were growing up, but part time. So I wasn't quite a SAHM. But what you're saying is a man can cheat if his wife is busy raising the kids. Awful.

TASHA1983's picture

If this was my son (God forbid of course) I would encourage him to end the relationship NOW and unfortunately just suck it up paying the CS and refrain from putting up with any BS from the leech! There is no law that says he has to support this wench, all he has to do is pay for the child, he needs to let her go before he knocks her up again!

Disneyfan's picture

If that were my son, I'don't knock him upside the head and few times for not thinking beyond his poker. There's no I would let him think he were trapped or had to stay with the lazy ass mom. Support you kid, but dump the mom.

notsobad's picture

Fruit, I usually agree with you but not on this one.

She trapped him! She knew she was trapping him and probably did it because she knew he wasn't ready for a child yet.

She most definitely should have had a discussion about going off bc and perhaps permission is a bad word but she didn't have the right to decide his future without his input.

When you are in a committed relationship that's what you do. You trust each other. He didn't wrap it up because he trusted her. Yes, accidents happen and that probably would have been okay BUT that's not what happened here.
Maybe he should have seen the type of woman she was but if he didn't know before, he sure knows now.

Rags's picture

I agree in principal and even applaud that woman's choice. If.... she has the means, intellect, and character to have and raise that child on her own time and her own dime. If she chooses to conceive without the express prior knowledge and approval of her male sex partner then she should have the character to go it alone financially, emotionally, and completely.BIr

Birth control in a sexual relationship should definately be a prior agreed responsibility. If the woman decides to stop BC then she should inform her partner(s) ahead of time so that they can address it.

And visa versa.

notsobad's picture

Not if you are in a 2 year committed relationship.
Unless one partner has herpes, then I could see using condoms in a long term relationship.

Disneyfan's picture

"Someone, please splain me this?"

You can't explain something that doesn’t make sense

TASHA1983's picture

I agree...and I couldn't be MORE thankful that I encouraged DH to get fixed while we were dating!!!

Rags's picture

Thanks everyone for the comments. I hit a wall recently on fairly recently joined Stalkers grousing at and about their SO over inept parenting while having young children with that same inept parent/spouse. :?

Part of me wants to rant (surprise suprise, Rags wants to rant) and ask "WTF were you thinking having children with this idiot when you knew from experience that they were an idiot on the parenting front."

Part of me wants to be welcoming and supportive. Not so much the latter but I am thinking about it.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I have felt the same, Rags. We see it over and over on this site, and it's now difficult to muster empathy for these posters who have put their own necks in the noose.

I think we'd all be happier if more importance was placed on genetics and past behavior. I once referenced G. Gordon Liddy's memoir and the scientific way he approached dating. He chose to court and marry an attractive woman of good family with a high IQ and advanced degrees in mathematics. He applied logic, reason, and science in his search for a life partner, and by all accounts enjoyed a long happy marriage. That's a far cry from the hook ups and booty calls that are so common now. Our culture puts zero emphasis on pragmatism and applying critical thinking when choosing a potential partner, and society is paying dearly for that.

notsobad's picture

I am very grateful that I was able to be a SAHM. The precious times are still very precious and you don't get them back.

In my case it would I would have been working to pay the daycare. Our family income would have been to high to qualify for subsidy and child care isn't cheap. I would have been paying for someone else to raise my children and that made no sense at all.

When I got divorced, I got a job. I had very few skills but I could type and answer a phone. I'd also done a lot of accounting preparation for my exH's business.
So I found temp work and eventually got a job in accounting. I got no CS for the first 3 years and I was able to support myself and my children. I was very proud of myself!

I wouldn't trade those first 8 years of being at home for anything!

Disneyfan's picture

Day care workers do not raise children, their parents do.

SOME SAHMs here keep saying that, WHY? Do you stop raising your children your children once they start school? Since mom is the one home the kids all day, does that mean dad isn't raising his kids?

This I wanted to raise my kid crap is nothing more than a passive aggressive swipe at working moms.

Rags's picture

My original post had nothing to do with whether or not a breeding partnership included a SAHP. It was about how people who have observed, lived, and suffered from the consequences of the toxic shit of a partner who is an inept parent deciding "Hey, it would be a great idea to pollute my gene pool with this dipshitiot who has already ruined one brood of his/her spawn."

I applaud a marital partnership that is financially secure enough for one or the other partner to be a SAHP. If they can support themselves then I applaud this marital/family model. Provided that they can in fact finance the model themselves. I will bite my tongue regarding breeder idiots who depend on the tax payers to fund their mistakes of idiocy. At least mostly bite my tongue.

kaehbee's picture

Being the cynical b*tch that I am I would suggest the financial decision for one to stay home also includes the potential alimony and child support because ones career and future earning potential has been seriously disrupted by staying at home.

notsobad's picture

"Money doesn't always equal happiness, just like lack of doesn't always equal unhappiness. I freely admit, though, it makes life easier. Working doesn't always make you happy, either,"

I firmly believe that everyone needs a purpose in life.
For some people that is raising children, for others it is being a Dr, for others it's building a house. The luckiest people are the ones who's purpose pays them a good wage.

I think that the problem with so many people today is that they don't know what their purpose is or how to find it. Not having a purpose makes you unhappy and angry.
I don't even think the problem is laziness. My youngest brother was incredibly lazy. He drove my Mom crazy and it was looking like he was going to become the man child who lives in the basement. Then he discovered computers and his life changed. He loves all things computer and has built a successful career. He isn't a millionaire but he is very happy with his life.

Salems Lot's picture

I was both a SAHM and a working mom at different times of my children's lives. I don't think it made much of a difference to my kids well being. When I was a SAHM, I never felt my choice to do so was superior to that of the working mother. I stayed at home because child care for 3 kids under 2 ( youngest 2 are twins) was more than my pay cheque.

When I was a SAHM, a lot of working mothers made the comment "OH, You're just a stay at home mom!", after I responded when they asked me I did for a living. When I became a working mom, I don't recall one time that another SAHM shamed me for that choice.

In my experience, The working mothers were the ones that appeared to be mommy shaming the SAHMs, not the other way around.
Have things really changed that much since my youngest were born 27 years ago?

Dichotomy's picture

mmm- not sure that children with a responsible parent at home are better off.... says who? Where is the research on this?

I think either can work. Really it is all about time, attention, education and application. I actually think children of educated working parents seem to grow up very bright, very motivated and very committed to achieving. They have that as a role model after all.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/workplace-relations/children-of-working-m...

Anyway- off topic! I don't undersatnd why anyone would breed with another who wasn't supportive, caring and an asset to the gene pool. I would have rather have gone with a donor if I hadn't found a suitable partner!

zerostepdrama's picture

Honestly- the majority (not all) of the SAHMs I know are either:

1) very wealthy and have a babysitter (for running errands), a housekeeper, and have their kid in every single activity possible to keep the kids busy throughout the day.

OR

2) play on FB all day, wait for their DHs to come home so they can have some kind of real social interaction, moms with clingy kids who don't sleep in their own beds or cry when their mom's are out of the room and they dont really cook or clean or doing any of the "SAHM" mom things consistently.

notasm3's picture

Here's where I disagree with the everyone is responsible for their own BC theory. That's fine with casual dating - but I didn't sleep around casually before or after marriage.

If I was in a committed monogamous relationship (or even married) and knew that I was using a 99.99999% effective BC religiously - I would NEVER believe a man who wanted to start using condoms to make sure he "didn't get me pregnant".

To me an insistence on using condoms would mean one of the following:

He didn't trust me and thought I was a lying bitch who wanted to trap him with a child. If he thinks I'm a liar I don't want to be with him.

He was whoring around and wanted not to infect me with an STD (I might thank him for not infecting me if I wasn't so mad about being cheated on).

notasm3's picture

Mustang - I have to correct you on something you posted.

"It used to be normal and OK for mothers to stay home with the children."......

yes very true back in the 50's, 60's, 70's when young women didn't have the opportunities to do any better for themselves and they were reliant on men."

As someone who grew up in the 50s and 60s - the real problem was the most women MADE THE CHOICE not to better for themselves and to rely on men. I chose not to follow that path and by the late 60s was managing a MAJOR revolutionary telecommunications project in Europe. My eye doctor and gyno were women - and I picked them because they were the best not because they were women. The most prominent family lawyer in town was a woman who made mincemeat out of cheating spouses.

I wish I had a nickel for every woman I knew in the 60s who said "Oh I don't want that promotion or job - I'm just going to work a couple of years." Women who wanted to achieve something almost always found a way to do it. It wasn't that there weren't opportunities it was the societal pressure not to avail oneself of those opportunities.

I grew up in total Appalachian level poverty where almost no one even finished high school - so it's not like I was handed opportunities on a platter. But I did EARN a scholarship to an extremely prominent women's college where it was instilled in me that I could do anything.

It's a pet peeve of mine when I hear people say that women had no opportunities in the 60s and 70s. I'll agree that things were different prior to that - or at least I think they were - I didn't live thru those times.

My college classmates went on to achieve tremendous success - professor at Stanford, head of American Bar Association, prominent doctors and lawyers, president of a division of a major computer manufacturer, oil industry executive. And all of these women started their careers in the mid 60s.