You are here

My fiancée avoids my kids, I avoid hers but I want us to be more like a family

gtitshall's picture

I’m M (42). Divorced and have been with my fiancée(40) for 3 years and living together for over 2years. I have 2 Bkids and 2 Skids. Bkids are G12, G 9.5. Skids are B10, B8.

I think back to when I was single after divorce. After several relationships I got an understanding of what I was looking for in the way of a relationship. I wrote on my Dating profile something like - I have two wonderful girls who are a huge part of my life... I have great times with them but somehow even during these great times it feels like something is missing. I'm looking for someone to share these great times with.

I now ask myself have I found that person?

I go to every lacrosse game with Bkids alone. I go to every hockey game with Bkids alone. I go public swimming, bowling, tobogganing with Bkids alone. I went to the Bkidss Xmas concert alone – BG12 was master of ceremonies. I have gone kayaking with the Bkids alone. I took the Bkids to a local hockey game alone. I use to ask Fiancee to come but she always had a reason not to take part. I have got to the point that I don't even ask anymore. So maybe this is my Fault too. Most recently I shared a great moment of BG12 in a public speaking contest alone. Every Wednesday and almost every Friday I have the Bkids I am with them alone. The Bkids don't even ask anymore they just seem to know that my fiancée will be at the gym or out with friends. We play games and cards just the 3 of us. Sometimes when Fiancee comes home she will go to her room and the Bgirls and I will continue our games or watching tv alone.

I see other blended families at functions and places like the lacrosse or hockey games. The divorcees often have their new spouse and some with children. They seem like they are together. They seem more like a family compared to me who seems to be living two separate lives. In my relationship it feels as if I am a single dad again.

I know life is busy and there are things to do and people need their personal time but this all seems too much to be just that. I'm convinced that Fiancée has lost the desire to do anything with me and my Bgirls. I don’t know why – anyone who knows them will say they are great kids. However, In all fairness I too have lost my desire to be with Skids. I still feel like "just the damn boyfriend" which yes I was called to my face by SB at age 6. I fear asking him to do anything because he gets winey or nasty with anyone as soon as he does not like something. One wrong word and I get the death stare or some nasty comment mumbled at me. It aggravates me to see him behave this way toward his mother or other people, but for the most part I keep quiet. I typically avoid getting involved to avoid the underlying problem. I have difficulty keeping quiet when the hostility is towards Bkids. He punched BG 8 in the face and then got away with lying saying it was an accident. BG still says he is a liar 2 years later. I’m not the only one who has problems with him – we have had complaints for teachers, and after school care givers SB10 seems easier to get along with. He seems to not have the hostility like SB8. I am not afraid to ask SB10 to do something or to tell him if I think he is doing something wrong. I do feel sorry for him sometimes when he gets in trouble and I see that SB8 was the actual instigator of the situation. Sometimes I try to show this situation to Fiancée.

All in all the kids family situation is not working for the most part

The rest of the relationship works good:
- the one on one time seems good
- the sexual part of the relationship is good
- day to day life is good for the most part when the kids are not involved
- we have no financial concerns

But the above problem is a huge deal for me and I fear it is going to get worse before it gets better.

Does anyone have any ideas how to help the situation??
Thanks for taking the time reading about my situation.

No saint's picture

Have you asked your fiancé about that? Look him in the eye and pop the question, plain and simple. Don't leave without an answer that satisfies you; after you get the answer, you'll know if your relationship is worth fighting for.

Calypso1977's picture

i do not have kids of my own, but avoid anything having to do with my SD14.

in the beginning i tried doing the "family" thing. but between my fiance's refusal to parent his daughter and her overall rudeness, self centered-ness and the like, i am just happier not being around her. She brings no joy to our home. she has definitely been PAS'd by her mother ad others as well. She does not want to be close with me and her mother does not want that. so i chose not to fight it. for me, id rather eat a meal alone or out with friends than watch her eat with her hands. i used to help with her homework, but she puts in zero effort so i dont bother anymore.

so, when its visitation time, i let my fiance deal with her and her attitude, and i find something else to occupy my time with that i actually enjoy.

in your case, it sounds like your wife has her hands full with the problem child. also, its overwhelming enough with all of the activities these kids have today that to double up and go to more activities than you need to seems a bit much. maybe she values the alone time wiht her kids when you are out with your girls?

gtitshall's picture

Last time I asked, she talked about just being too busy (it's nothing really. etc...) The time before that she said she was giving me and my Bgirls "prviate time" I guess I have been avoiding asking again - but I will force myself to ask tonight.

AllySkoo's picture

Of course I have no idea if this is the case or not... but several stepmoms here will offer "you two need alone time together" when Dad has shown that he is completely unwilling to admit any fault in his child and attacks at the slightest HINT of criticism.

Has your fiancee EVER said ANYTHING negative about your girls? They watch too much TV, they roll their eyes at her, anything? Did you take it seriously, or did you tell her she was somehow wrong for saying it?

SMLIFESUCKS's picture

If this is a hill to die on then press the issue. Honestly though all these blended families that you see around doing xyz, are probably forcing it. I use to and sometimes are still forced into doing "family" things with the stepkids. I have 2 bs13 and bd9 and he has 2 sd11 and 8. I don't get along with his kids for a variety of reasons. Maybe your fiance has decided to become disengaged for similar reasons, the problems between the kids, etc.

I wish we could do our own thing when we had our kids but my DH just complains we should it xyz as a "family" problem is that we only do what he and skids want to do, we aren't consulted.

Have you thought the things that you and your kids are doing, aren't interesting to your finance and skids? It sounds like you get plenty of one on one time with your kids. I would think that would be a good thing, since I'm guessing you only have them EOWE.

But if you want the brady bunch, your fiance may tell you it can't happen. Has voiced any complaints before now? I'd start there.

blayze's picture

Well, you are technically a single dad still... nothing has changed.

A few questions come to mind:

- Does your EX also attend the lacrosse and hockey games?

- When your fiancee goes with you to games/events, do you enjoy time with her or singularly focus on cheering on your kids? (neither is wrong, just trying to understand)

- Could you and fiancee consider planning ONE family outing/event weekly where both sets of children are involved?

AllySkoo's picture

You've got a couple of different threads in this knot.

1.) Your relationship with the boys. Sounds like at least one of them is disrespectful of you. That has to stop, and your fiancee has to take a BIG part in making it clear to the boy that it has to stop. YOU should not tolerate any disrespect towards yourself (let your fiancee worry about herself), and she should be coming down on the boy - hard - if she sees him disrespecting you. If she's not, you guys need to talk about that. You are an adult, he is a child, and if he's balk-talking, whiny or nasty and she's letting him get away with it, then she's not doing him any favors. On the flip side though, it *sounds* like she doesn't want you to be a "father figure" to them, which is her right. Could you go for "cool Uncle" instead? Leave all the parenting crap to her and just have your own (non-parental, but still very much adult-child) relationship with them?

2.) Your fiancee's relationship with your girls. I'm going to go out on a limb here and propose a possible reason for this. A lot of men seem to expect the women they date/marry to be "Mom". They want the Brady Bunch, with all that implies - someone to help with homework, laundry, driving, cheering at school events, yada yada yada. (Mostly, they do NOT want someone with expectations, who sets chores and enforces discipline though. So they want "the Mommy who's perfect little angel can do no wrong", not a REAL Mom.) That is exhausting, and unrealistic most of the time. Plus your fiancee is *already* mom to two little boys who have a right to her mothering.

Let me ask you something. WHY do you want your fiancee to come to the girls' school stuff? Is it to support YOU? So you have someone to sit with and talk to? Or is it to support THEM? There's no wrong answer, really, but knowing that answer will probably help us give you some advice. (And also, it's a tacit acknowledgement from you that you know it's not for HER, that SHE isn't getting anything out of that.)

And finally, I'll leave you with this. It's nice that you want the "family thing". Truly. And it would be nice if that worked out. But you want to marry HER, the woman. Someday all the kids will be grown and gone, and you marriage has to be about the two of YOU - not the kids. You're not marrying her kids, and she's not marrying yours. So if the relationship works "except for the kid part"? Then it works - because your relationship isn't about the kids. Don't bring them into YOUR relationship, they don't belong there and that's giving your children too much power. They need to fit into the relationship you have - the relationship does NOT have to alter to fit them in, you know?

Ninji's picture

When I first started seriously dating SO, we took the Skids everywhere. We have them every weekend. SD was in a sport that was every Friday from 5-8/9pm and Saturday from 9-2. I got tired of giving up half my weekend to sit in a gym and watch SD practice. I stopped going to all the practices and stayed home with SS. (He hated going and sitting around too). I did go to all the tournaments and when she tested for a new color belt.

We still do most things together, but there are times that he will take the kids to the park for a couple of hrs alone to give me a break. Personally, I would rather do NOTHING with SS because he is horrible in public, but that would mean missing quality time with SO and SD.

Like someone else posted, maybe she is busy with her Bio kids and steals the small kid free breaks that she can. Maybe she doesn't care for the activities you do, maybe she doesn't like your kids or her kids don't like your kids. It can be any or all those things.

Besides asking her why she choses not to participate, Maybe you can also tell her how it makes you feel.

counseling.advocate's picture

U should be completely honest it how it makes you feel and how it could be a potential deal breaker because u want to be a family.

My DH has two girls that I've struggled with for 6 years but I've always made an effort to blend the family including my bs. I'll never give up, I love them but it's a constant struggle. U need her on the same page as u. Someone else will be able to fulfill all of your requirements in a marriage and make u a happy family. U only have one life to live, so make it a good one, but give her a chance to fix it first because u love her

bearcub25's picture

You don't say, but does her kids do any sports or other activities? Do you go or participate in them? What about your Ex and yours and your fiances rship with the Ex?

My DSO whined he gets bored at the softball games by himself. But I pointed out that DSO never goes to any of Gson12 soccer games/practices. Also, the fact I have attended more games/practices for SD than her own mother has, and probably more than DSO.

I don't care for hockey or lacrosse, maybe your fiancé doesn't care for those sports either.

And all the happy blended families you see????? You never know what really goes on behind closed doors. I can honestly say, I fake it. I raised my kids. Didn't expect the skids to get dumped on us, and I actually do less now than I did before. DSO doesn't like it when he has to do parent stuff alone, but BTDT and don't wanna do it again.

misSTEP's picture

Definitely ask her. See what she has to say. Try to get her to open up beyond the superficial "I have other things to do." Make her feel safe in telling you whatever she wants.

I don't know whether your girls are as great as you think or not. What I DO know is that my DH cannot see manipulation and passive aggressiveness from women that I can pick up on in an instant.

gtitshall's picture

I would like to thank everyone for spending their time and responding - it's really appreciated and has given me a lot of different things to think about and directed me to also look inward to myself and my kids for issues and solutions aswell.

Although my girls would not dare be rude to my fiancee in front of me I will keep and eye out to try to see if there is anything behind my back. I will start with asking my financee if she recalls and specific situations. My girls are clingy with me which now I see may be a concern. However, we did inadvertantly bump into my fiance on friday at the mall before she was meeting her girl friends for dinner. The girls hugged her and were quick to tell her all about their day. Fiancee and I walked holding hands to the food court and the girls walked beside us chating all the way. Typically they never stop talking - maybe that drives my fiancee crazy - it gets to me sometimes.

Maybe my expectations are too high - considering the other discusions on the web page my situation does seem pretty good. I should re-evaluate it because now I see "It's not a hill to die on issue" or a "deal breaker". As far as re-creating a new Mom - that not my intent and I'm fairly sure she knows that. I'm still not sure that I can accept that we may never be able do family things together as D, SM,and two SD. Obviously we do a few things a year with all 6 of us and I can be grateful for that.

I do attend the SS's activies from time to time, and understand that my fiance cannot attend a whole lot of times with me and my daughters. Believe it or not I actually don't find attending such activities too boring. However, I do agree that her going to a hockey practise would be silly and school stuff maybe too boring. I am I being selfish wanting to have my fiance with me at a couple of hockey or lacrosse games a year.

AllySkoo I'm still pondering you question "Let me ask you something. WHY do you want your fiancee to come to the girls' school stuff? Is it to support YOU? So you have someone to sit with and talk to? Or is it to support THEM? There's no wrong answer, really, but knowing that answer will probably help us give you some advice. (And also, it's a tacit acknowledgement from you that you know it's not for HER, that SHE isn't getting anything out of that.)" I guess partially to share the joy and pride of wathcing the girls suceed, partially I probably think the girls will see it as supportive, and possible somewhat shefish that I want to be with someone instead of the lone Dad at every Game or Event.

As for my relatinship with SS - reading the other discussion forums I think I should be greatful that it is as good as it is. One post said the SS will pickup on the step parents mood and feelings and to focus on the positives no matter how small. I'm going to try at that approach.

We have no kids tonight so I am going to try to have talk with my fiancee. I will definitely approach this differently and likely much better thanks to everyone helping me see all sides of the situation.

Thanks
GT

jojosgma's picture

Run!! Run!! Run!! Get out of this mess as soon as you can! I wish I had the sense to do it when I got into the blended mess that I am in now. Just be single, date women, maybe have a booty call until your girls are grown and off to college. Then find a mate who has no kids or hers are also grown and gone. If a six year old is already disrespecting you that should be a BIG red flag! I am 42 years old and the kids are all grown and I am still dealing with their childhood Mommy issues that have nothing to do with me. If I had met my husband now they couldn't use the mean Stepmom crap (which I wasn't at all I probably did more for those kids than my own) and guilt me, I simply wouldn't care I didn't raise them. I know that sounds harsh I do love my skids but the blatent disrespect that is shown to the Stepparent no matter how hard they have worked to keep food on the table and provide for the family is just the way it is. These kids have hurt me more than anyone in my life and if I had it all to do over again things would have been a lot different. Not to mention the time and money taken from your own children, caring for the ingrates.

Modernworld1011's picture

My husband had this fantasy too, and frankly his kids were too old to want any part of it. They are never rude to me and I always make an effort to speak with them and treat them with the same level a of generosity and kindness I give my own bids, BUT I am not their mom. They have mother. I love my husband, and my role is to be his spouse. I am a good spouse. My husbands kids and I have found our comfort zone which is basically that of polite semi-strangers, right now they don't want more, and I am not going to try to force it. If they become closer in the future great, but if not I and they are fine with that.

He too would nurse these family notions, and I don't get it. You cannot make other people want that. Do your kids want this woman around always???? It sounds like you have a great relationship with both your significant other and your kids, why not just be happy with that? Your kids already have a mother, I guess, correct. Don't try to force people into roles they don't want.

This is not to ignore the fact that you did explicitly state that you wanted a soccer game companion etc, but everyone seems okay with the evolution that exists. You could drop this relationship, but be prepared the woman who wants to go to all of these things with you and such will probably feel entitled to weighing on decisions with authority as well, are you okay with that?

MamaDuck's picture

3 things SO and I were told by a therapist about blending our family.

1# Write the house rules that shall apply to all kids, together, then present them to all the kids, together. Make sure that we come across united, that we both fully and sincerely agree with each rule. Go through the consequences, SO is to say to SD "if SM catches you disobeying the rules, she will carry out the consequence, even if I'm in the next room" (and I say vise versa to my kids).

2# It's important for me to spend 1 on 1 quality time with SD when my kids are around, but not included. SO is to spend 1 on 1 quality time with each of my kids separately when SD is around. that's to help kids realize 'oh, mom/dad isn't MINE, they are here for the other kid/s as well.

3# SO and I are to have 1 on 1 time excluding the kids (as in, get a babysitter to watch kids, so they see that the two adults in the house are important to each other as well).

Those helped us a bit, maybe you can try them out??