You are here

New to forum - terrified fiance's daughters are going to kill our relationship.

Kat's picture

Hello all,

I'm Kathy, often called Kat by my fiance. I am so happy to have found this forum. At the very least I know I am not alone and that there are many other women going through very similar experiences with their step kids and step kids to be. That, in itself, is strangely comforting though I wouldn't wish obnoxious step kid grief on anyone!

I separated from ex almost three years ago. Kept to myself for a time. Started online dating to meet men in a larger city two hours away from me as I didn't want to date in the fishbowl (the small city I was living in). Met several nice guys but no chemistry. My fiance was one of the men I met online, but we communicated via msn, phone, email for over four months before we met because our schedules just didn't click. When we finally met *we* clicked. I had my daughter two weeks and then a week with her father (he worked away a lot). On those weeks without my daughter I would see my new man whenever he didn't have his kids (he had them three days each week at that time). He then started having his two girls (just turned 10 and 12 at the time) every other week for a full week. When our worlds could collide it was always wonderful and it still is. We are so wonderful together. We adore each other - there is no question in my mind that he loves me - we still make fireworks nearly two years later, we never argue (except about his children - sadly), we are supportive and loving and respectful and adoring of one another. I cannot imagine my life without him and marvel constantly at how easy a loving relationship really can be. After about six months together we decided to introduce our children to each other. After a few more month we decided to introduce the children to each other.

I have a little girl who is going to be 6 at the end of December. His girls are presently 11 and 13 and will be celebrating birthdays in Feb and April (respectively). I have tried my best to be a level headed parent and to utilize common sense when raising my daughter. I am so lucky that she is a perceptive, sensitive child and credit her for being a good kid when complimented on what a good child she is. Don't get me wrong, she can be challenging at times and has a stubborn streak to rival my own, so I don't suffer from rose colored glasses syndrome where my child is concerned. I have been consistent in discipline and with regard to what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't. As an example, she knows it is not acceptable to yell or throw fits when she's angry. If she is too angry to calmly talk about things she goes to her room to cool off and then comes to talk about things (something she's been doing for almost two years now - the adults in her life find it hilarious and wonderful at the same time). Her father and I worked hard to provide her with a good life and she doesn't lack for anything, but is also appreciative of the things she has and receives. She takes care of her belongings, takes her dishes to the sink, cleans her room (and does a pretty good job of it considering her age), puts her laundry in the hamper and feeds the cats. She receives an allowance for doing her bit around the house.

My fiance's daughters come from a very privileged background. They also do not want for anything, though they always want more. When I first met them they demonstrated politeness, decent manners, and seemed like nice girls. The thing that kills me about them is that I know they have lovely girls inside of them but choose to be obnoxious most of the time. They have grown up with a nanny to clean up after them, no discipline, an overly indulgent mother and a passive father. Someone posted here something to the effect of the ex emasculting the husband and him consequently tuning out of what was going on with the children. That gave me a lightbulb moment.

As time went on the girl's behaviour around me became worse and worse until they were, according to their father, just being themselves. Oh, joy! I know I've come to be accepted because they feel free enough around me to be obnoxious and challenging and outright awful.

Recently, about a month ago, I had had my fill. I packed up the belongings I kept at his place and told him to call me when his children acquire some manners and discipline. The 'break up' didn't last for long. I think leaving was the final message I had to send to let him know I was serious about all the begging and cajoling and pleading that he deal with their behaviour by imposing consequences. We had a serious talk - how allowing them to be disrespectful without consequence makes me feel like he doesn't respect me, how their behaviour and his lack of response to them was begining to taint how I feel about him. He suggested that I was letting his children come between us. I acknowledged that I've agreed to marry him, not them, but that by allowing them to get away with their behaviour he was allowing them to come between us by NOT dealing with them. We talked about how they are going to have many friends in their lives but only one father and that he really needed to be a father to them. It was a long and honest and heartfelt talk which resulted in him agreeing to try to reign them in.

Some examples of their behaviour - While in Orlando on a vacation, the 11 yr old was pacing and muttering and throwing things in the adjoining kids hotel room. He lay there saying nothing. She was angry because at one in the morning she came to her father and asked him if she could order room service because she wanted french fries. He told her no. Her sister was still awake but my daughter was sleeping. I sat up in bed and said "Would you please stop it, you're going to wake up T (my daughter). Her reply? "You can't tell me what to do, you're not my mother, go F*** yourself!". She then ran to the bathroom and locked herself in. I looked at H (my fiance) and he shrugged. I got out of bed and went to the bathroom and began shouting through the door that she absolutely could never speak to me that way. That's when H got out of bed and came and tried to put an end to things. Were there consequences? Nope. Throughout that whole trip both those girls were unappreciative, demanded things (not may I please or can I have - but "You HAVE to buy me this. I WANT that."

They yell at their father, tell him to *f* off, call him names, make a complete and utter pig sty out of their father's home, tell me that once we all live in the same house they'll have me to pick up after them like their nanny does at their mother's house, use foul language, watch and listen to inappropriate things, demand things constantly, insult me, throw fits and on some ocassions throw things or otherwise physically respond to their father (such as trying to stomp on his feet) when he's had enough and is actually attempting to correct them. I have seen them rudely interrupt him while he's conversing in person or on the phone with his business partner, make spectacles of themselves in restaurants, even when dining with friends of his, by making a 'science experiment' out of all the remaining food and condiments on top of the table (which I've told them time and again that the wait staff are not paid nearly enough to clean up after them), stuff their faces full of food and show each other (and us) and allow the food to dribble out of their mouths, publicly and purposely pick their noses and pass gas and belch.

On one car trip I was curled up in my seat resting my head on the armrest between the front seats and the older girl, while her father was out of the vehicle, put her behind over my head and passed gas. Consequences? None.

Their mother has outright said that they shouldn't have to take direction from me and that their father should just get them whatever it is their little hearts desire. They have no respect for their things (the 11 yr old is on her third digital camera in less than a year) or the belongings of anyone else. The 11 yr old will destroy items which belong to anyone she happens to be angry with. They have rifled through my personal things and I once caught them going through my drawers in my bedroom in my home. They younger girl also steals from family members and shows no remorse when she damages or steals other people's belongings. The older one is only very slightly less of a handful.

I have begged him to get counselling for the younger one. To introduce consequences for their actions. To establish a set of rules and consequences and to even involve them in the process. I have expressed serious fears that once we are living in the same house that the girls are going to pull us apart. I have expressed that I know I cannot live in the same home as them as things currently are. He has said he hoped things would just naturally get better. That he wishes I could just let things slide a little more than I do. That he only wants the girls to associate me with "sunshine and light". That, in part, he fears if he attempts to discipline or correct them that they will choose to live only with their mother.

After the 'break up' he has agreed he has to be more of a 'harda**' (which he calls me - affectionately) and less of the poster child for badparenting.com (which I affectionately call him). The thing is that he is not consistent. His methods are helter skelter, some things dealt with sometimes and not others.

One thing I am proud of that he's been rather consistent about is this: The 11 yr old, when angry, not only yells and swears but slams her bedroom door. She doesn't just slam it once, she slams it again and again so that you be absolutely certain she's angry. I have been saying for ages now that I would take her door away from her. He thought I was insane. My take on it is that she can't slam a door that isn't there and will get the message pretty quick. Well, he finally did it - several months ago actually - and had to do it twice and she hadn't slammed that door since until last night! She lost her door again but I think it's wonderful that he responded immediately with the same consequence.

We have talked about establishing rules for the house (presently under construction and should be ready to move into by spring). He has asked me to put together something in the way of rules for he and I to review and discuss. Where I would have, at one time, done anything for those girls they have since driven a wedge between them and I that I have a very difficult time looking at anyting objectively where they are concerned now. I have - since the breakup - avoided spending too much time with them, will not go out of my way to do things for them like I used to, and have demonstrated a coolness toward them that hurts me to do but I feel it is neccessary to send a message. They have broken my trust and lost my respect and have to earn both back.

At present we both have shared custody of our children and try to keep on the same schedule - a week on, a week off - with me having my girl from Monday to Monday and he having his from Tuesday ato Tuesday (so the kids get one night alone with their parent without other kid(s) present. I am also afraid that his girls are going to be a terrible influence on mine although - so far - mine has actually corrected his! ("Z! That's not nice! You should say 'excuse me'. or "R, you shouldn't be mean to my mom because my mom and H really love each other." and on one hilarious ocassion when R was actually being well behaved "I think you grew some manners!")

I want to put together some basic rules and guidelines for he and I to review - and he has agreed that, upon agreement of the rules, he would begin implementing them immediately rather than waiting until we're all under one roof. I am so relieved that he is finally going to try to help them to become better people, to parent them, but I am afraid I don't know where to begin with the writing of the rules because of my tainted feelings.

If you, with a cooler head than I, could write a set of rules for a blended family household, what would it look like? What sort of consequences would you impose or suggest for breaking the rules?

I want to solicit the help of all of you who have been there, done that (and are still doing it) to help me put together something we can start with. I love H dearly. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me and I want to grow old with him.

Thanks in advance for your insight. And especially for anyone making it to the end of this tome!

Kat

Nise's picture

I made it to the end! WELCOME! Things are NOT going to naturally get better and when you are faced with this RIDICULOUS behavior in the day-to-day things will progressively get WORSE! It is the letting things slide that has created this UTTER NIGHTMARE to begin with…also, for your daughter to be so young and well mannered, her older sibs will DEFINITELY start to rub off on her and she will be resentful for their disruptive presence in what once was her peaceful/organized/well mannered life! (by the way your daughter sounds just too cute!)

I’m sure your guy is very unhappy about they way his daughters have turned out…He HAS to be embarrassed to be out in public with them the way you describe their behavior! It sounds like he needs some “tools” like taking the door off the hinges, he was given a tool by you, he used it and found that it worked to fix the problem! So the rules thing will work great b/c he seems to be receptive to it! My first thought is for you to get a copy of The Stepparents Bill of Rights if you haven’t seen it already but it is more ideological then application based but those philosophies are a good starting point for the two of you to speak abstractly about respect…regarding hard and fast rules, I’m sure the ladies here will start a GREAT list for you!

Make a GREAT Day!

Caitlin's picture

All children will respect the adults of the household, regardless of whether it's a bioparent or a stepparent.

If they ever give you the "You're not my mother!" spiel again, you can politely respond with "Yes, and you're not my daughter either, but that doesn't mean that I don't take care of you, fix your meals, put a roof over your head, provide for you, etc. All I ask from you is the respect that I deserve as one of the heads of this household." Then, if they continue to disrespect you, you can just clock out as stepmother. What would they do if you fixed dinner for yourself, your fiance and your daughter and not them? When they raise a fuss, just tell them that the agreement is that you will only provide for them if they show you respect.

Your fiance will be afraid that they will go live with biomom, but he really needs to step it up as the disciplinarian. It's not your job! It sounds like you have no one on your side because both parents seem to condone this behavior. I don't really know what to tell you other than continue doing what you're doing. Good luck!

Anne 8102's picture

Rules are important and there must be consequences. Equally important is that your list of rules should beposted, along with consequences, for all to see. Stick it on your fridge, tape it to the inside of your pantry door, tack it on the wall in the laundry room, whatever. Just make sure that there is a list of rules and a list of consequences, have both parents and all kids read it, agree to it and then sign it to acknowlege it's existence and then let it be the guide. It won't cover everything, but you can make it general enough to provide guidelines for acceptable behavior in your home. With it posted, there's not really a good guy/bad guy situation, everything is determined by the list. Rule number one is KIDS DON'T MAKE THE RULES. Rule number two is FATHERS CAN, SHOULD AND WILL DISCPIPLINE THEIR CHILDREN.

~ Anne ~

Kat's picture

I appreciate your comments and thoughts. I know I can't *fix* this by avoiding them and realize that - by spending less time with them - I am really just trying to distance myself to gain perspective.

He is trying - sweet man - and being tried as a consequence. I fear for what lies ahead if he doesn't put in the effort now.

Recent developments - 11 yr. old went to a mixed dance (goes to a girls school) and found herself a 'boyfriend'. Was plottiing secretly to go on a date with this boy and some other 'couples' in her age group. The plot was uncovered and - as she was staying at her mothers - her mother allowed it, telling H the date would be chaparoned by herself. He disagreed and doesn't want her dating - even in groups - at 11. Mother doesn't care and, as always, does it her way. Only he learns this weekend she did not chaparone. She dropped the 'couples' off at a movie and picked them up later. 11 Yr. old, about two weeks ago, was found with money and gift cards belonging to her sister. For the first time since knowing him he and his ex agreed on there being a consequence for her actions. Actually, this is the first I've seen a consequence imposed. She was grounded, for three weeks - no laptop, no cell phone or phone privileges. He enforced the rulling for the remaining time at his place. He learns, today, that the mother allowed her to use her laptop and the phone and go out AND told her to lie to her father. The mother also helped her pack her laptop and cell phone to hide them so she could smuggle it in to her fathers to use. The mother also told the child she would have let her off the hook for a party she wanted to attend tonight. When she was caught with the laptop and phone and he took them away she yelled and cursed and made a scene so he advised her she would be confined to her room for the next three days (hardly hard time considering she has a television and video games in her room). She phoned her mother railing about the punishement and the mother phoned him to lecture him suggesting she wasn't going to learn anything having to be held prisoner in her room.

While I understand that they are hurting - especially the youngest - her father admits her behaviour was atrocious long before the marriage ended. I've spoken with her about how she feels and acknowledged how hard it must be for her to deal with. We've had heart to hearts in the past. I know she is loyal to her mother, in part because her mother is her 'buddy' to the extreme of not actually mothering or parenting these girls at all. The oldest girl even said to her father tonight "Mom is incapable of following through with a punishment." The mother leaves the girls in the nanny's care so she can gallivant around town, leaves all the meals to the nanny. The girls eat alone together while their mother takes her meal in her office. They rarely go out with their mother. Their mother hates shopping and so leaves that to their father to do with them. She buys them whatever they want, whenever they want it - usually ordered via internet because of her loathing of shopping. Undermines their father. Gave them Christmas last year - they are Jewish! - for no reason other than to spite their father. All of this is not me relaying my perception - this is directly from the girls. They openly acknowledge that they would never behave the way they do at home when they are at school or a friends home. They know better, in spite of having a mother who seemingly doesn't.

I know they wish their mom and dad could have stayed together and had a good relationship. They also both acknowledge that both of their parents are much happier people now. And, in all honesty, it breaks my heart when any kid has to suffer the consequences of having all that is familiar with their family ripped apart and turned upside down. I recall being out hitting garage sales with my Aunt in the summer and overhearing a little girl say to her father "Hey, I have one of these at mom's house!" It made me want to cry, on the spot, even though she seemed happy enough. I have even gone so far to tell the girls that if I could wave a magic wand and put their parents together in a happy and healthy relationship together that I would gladly do it.

I remind myself constantly that they are having to deal with decisions having been made which they had no control over and the fallout from it. That kind of rebelliousness I CAN deal with. Normal teenage angst - I can deal with. Ocassional bad behaviour I can deal with. The stuff they dish out on a regular basis - I just can't take. I've only given a glmpse of the things that have gone on - and you'd think with as much as I've written I would have touched on all of it. Most of it is highly inappropriate and some of it outright shocking and the bulk of it isn't in response to hurting - it is simply the way they are.

It is not their fault they are who they are right now. They behave the way they do because they have been *allowed* to. It is the fault of their parents. I recognize that. I also think, just with the developments in recent weeks, H now realizes what little control and respect he has and that he is also dealing with an adversarial mother. His tenuous grip on an 11 year old child, who is acting out in a manner most parents don't expect until the teen years, scares him. He is doubtlessly worried that the baby is going to run wild and has expressed today that he hopes its not too late to try roping her in.

We need rules. He needs my support. We need help! More rules please!

Thanks!

Kat

Nymh's picture

I have no children of my own, and am very new to the step-parenting world in the grand scheme of things...but I will try to offer my perspective and good advice as best I can.

You mentioned wanting to put the children into therapy - good idea! But I don't think they're the only ones who could benefit. Your husband and even you yourself could also reap the rewards of therapy. I am not usually an advocate of therapy due to having gotten through a lot of tough times - including my parents getting divorced from each other and other people, and my mother abandoning me - without it, but I can understand and appreciate its ability to help with feelings and especially with transitional periods such as this one.

Your BF has basically admitted that he is somewhat afraid to discepline his children for fear that they would "punish him" by going to live with his mother. My take on that? Your household should absolutely have certain rules and guidelines that are stuck to consistently, regardless of the girls' ability to respect that at first. Which would he rather - be without the girls for a short time while they throw their fit about "how dare you impose rules upon me!", or continue to allow them to run the household and disrespect both you and him? Your home should be a haven which is respected for all of its members, and if they can't accept that, how much will it hurt your fiance's feelings for them to move out? Besides, considering their feelings regarding their mother, I can't imagine that it would last long. These children are practically begging for structure and parents who are genuinely interested and adoring of them. A lot of their bad behavior could be their way at lashing out at their mother for not providing them with the type of atmosphere that you all have for them...I know it sounds conviluted but kids can exhibit their feelings in strange ways sometimes.

The younger of his girls amazes me. I didn't even get my cartilage pierced until I was 17. I didn't have a cellphone until I was 17. I didn't have a laptop until I graduated from high school. I would imagine that some great consequences to add to your list would be the removal of these luxuries! If the girls are with you for a week, that is plenty of time to exercise a good grounding period. If they do something near the end of the week and time is not sufficient for a good groundation, explain to them that they will still be grounded when they come back to your house regardless of what luxuries BM allows them to have. Punish them at your house for what they do at your house and don't worry about what BM does with them or allows them to do when they're with her. You can't and never will be able to affect how BM treats or disceplines her girls. It sounds to me that BM is deathly afraid to immerse herself in real parenting - she may have some issues of her own such as low self-esteem which are keeping her from immersing herself in the "motherhood" role, but you can't help that. Instead of worrying about BM "undoing" what progress you all may make, continue to provide a consistent disceplinary plan, and a loving and supportive environment for the girls when they are with you.

All that being said, I think rule #1 on your list should be no disrespect. It could outline different manifestations of disrespect, including backtalking, stealing, insults, and SWEARING! I can't believe the mouths on these girls!
Rule #2 - The adults are the ultimate decision makers. While you may allow the girls to give their input, ultimately the decision is up to you two.
Rule #3 - Chores! Perhaps you could institute a rotational chore responsibility chart so that everyone in the house contributes to taking care of the house.
Rule #4 - What happens here stays here. BM is not a member of your household and has no place in "lecturing" you two on how to discepline them while they're there. She has no idea what the real circumstances may have been and has no right to dictate to you how to run your home.

These are just a few rules that I can come up with but hopefully what I've said has helped at least somewhat. Please keep us posted on your situation!

*~So sayeth Nymh~*

lovin-life's picture

So the only 'adults' they are allowed to take direction from are bMom and Dad....who doesn't 'partake' in teaching them how to be respectful, productive young ladies in the world. That's not right!

Mom (and Dad) is teaching them that they don't have to listen to babysitters, grandparents, friends parents when guests in their home, teachers, coaches, their supervisors or boss later in life.....just do & say what-ever you want to whoever you want??!!

I would be very afraid..of how these self absorbed monsters in the making turn out.

Just like my oldest SD and her spoiled mother before her.....
They aren't happy people.
Make your BF see that what he is doing will harm them .. not help them ....become ..happy, well adjusted, self-sufficient poeple...

.....If you can't .... RUN!! Smile

Anonymous's picture

like spoiled brats to me that were never parented much. If there's not a quick intervention to reverseing their out of control behavior you'll curse the day you got involved with this guy. You don't need written rules imo. A) You can disapline these kids anytime you want since its also your home. Let your man know you won't have any problem imposing consequences for this type of behavior. After two warnings be quick and let them know there will be a punishment. Take away a priviledge or confine them to their room or something that you know will have an impact. Also, what goes on at your house is NONE of the ex's business, so don't worry about her telling the kids not to take direction from you. Because everyone will soon get the picture that things are going to change.

Meanwhile, I would forego taking them on trips and just plan those with you, bf and your own kids. Right now its too much to include them since these kids cannot even handle public situations or how to act. Seriously, theres a reason they've become damaged so make sure their dad is on the same page and let him know if nothing changes your out of there. You can't have their mistakes affect your own children. Also you just don't allow a child to swear at you, that should have been dealt with immediately and you also let that pass when you shouldn't have. Thats serious and I probably would have taken them right home and washed their mouth out with soap!!

sosmomof6's picture

Can I ask how they behave in school? Have any of their teachers or the principal ever had any concerns? I hope the father realizes that if they get away with continuing this kind of behavior at home, then it will only encourage problems in school, future jobs and so on. One suggestion that I don't think has been mentioned yet is to have them volunteer. Not as a punishment, because you don't want to foster resentment in helping others who are less privileged....but maybe as a family effort. It could help them to be a little less spoiled.