You are here

Who's the adult/teacher anyways?

steph1031's picture

Can someone shed any light on my opinions?

I'm thinking maybe I'm old fashion...(I'm in my early 30's btw)

Is it just me, or has bringing up children changed dramatically?

I have an 11 year old son and two step-daughters. They are 17 and 21. Perhaps divorce 10 years ago has left the biological parents filled with guilt. So much so, that they lavished their daughters with anything they ever wanted. Except responsibility.

I live in a home where two ways of living apply. One for my son, and one for the step-daughters.

My son has chores..(not that many), the usual, keeping his room tidy, putting his dishes in the dishwasher, putting his clothes in the hamper, taking the garbage out, bringing in the groceries.

The SD's have no responsibilities. They are driven everywhere. Eat supper (or anything for that matter) when and where (living room, bedroom) they want. They have their phones paid for, as well as hair appointments, (including waxing and nails). They love juvenile TV and repetitive mindless movies as well as sitting on Daddy's knees. (slight exaggeration here...but not much).

I can go on with so many outrageous examples..

Why is it that children...(well...young adults) are no longer given responsibilities? Why are they shielded from reality? Why can they not work part-time? Why can they not take a school bus? Why can they not make their own "real" food? Why do they not think of others? Why do they expect everything is owed to them without earning anything?

Differences in fundamental values gives our blended family a real challenge.

steph1031's picture

Thanks dtzyblnd for your reply.

Yes, I've been told before to not drain all my energy on trying to teach those who do not wish/capable to learn. Or to somehow separate myself and not take things personally. Especially when leading by example proves no change...except...when you mention your sons....and YES...there, within my life, I believe it's working. I have to hold on to that...I suppose...and let go of what I can't influence.

Orange County Ca's picture

Daddy allows it out of guilt. You have a responsibility to see that your child does not fail in life. If he asks you why he has to work and they don't tell him its because you love him and he'll understand when he's older but for now its a question of responsibility and helping him grow into an adult.