You are here

Overwhelmed, scared and exhausted new SM!!!!

Laurencharlotte20's picture

Hello everyone. I've just joined the forum on the advice of some friends after yet another call to them sobbing my eyes out after dropping off our SD back at her BM (BM = biological mother right?! I'm new to all this terminology!). 

Background, in short: my SO is Australian and lived there until 4 years ago. 4 years ago, the BM was on holiday in Australia and met my SO. They dated for the month she was there, and then she returned to England. She invited him to visit England for two weeks, which he did. Whilst in England he started to see some warning signs; possessive behaviour, sudden rage, erratic mood swings, etc. He returned to Australia and decided to end the relationship. Two weeks later, the BM called him. She'd previously said she was infertile, and called to tell him she was pregnant and it was his child. (Before you ask, it is definitely his child). My SO said he wanted to be a part of the child's life, moved to London leaving behind his family, friends and job. He moved in with the BM, and really tried to do the " right" thing. He proposed, they got married, and had their daughter. He found out that throughout the pregnancy she'd had multiple affairs, was still using cocaine, and after the daughter was born, she continued to drink (2 bottles of wine per night), use cocaine, and physically abuse my SO. The BM is a millionaire trust fund girl. She's never worked; lives in a 5 bedroom house in London paid for by her father, lives on an allowance and drives a personalised range drover (to paint the picture of the woman we're dealing with here). My SO stayed with her for a further 5 months. He had signed a pre nup before they married just to prove to her and her family he didn't care about the money. The BM offered my SO £50,000 to leave the country after their daughter was born. She's bi-polar and won't take medication and would often say things like this - he paid for her therapy, but her therapist refused to continue treating her after she verbally abused him(!!!). The marriage ended when my SO returned home from work to find his belongings bagged up in bin bags outside the house. She had changed the locks, and she waited until the day after he'd paid all bills, bought the monthly food shop, and had essentially emptied his bank account. He lived in his jiu Jitsu gym for 3 months before getting back on his feet and finding somewhere he could afford to live. I should add - I had not met him at this point. 

He built a case against his ex wife, and took her to court. She had a team of QC barristers and spent 350,000 on fees. He was a litigant in person. I'm a corporate lawyer- I've read the entire file. His case would have won with lawyers, but without a lawyer in the family court, as a father you sadly don't stand a hope in hell. Ultimately, he got a contact arrangement allowing him to see their daughter twice a week, with overnight stays only granted when she starts school. She was 1 at this point. (She's now 3).

I met my SO about 6 months after all of this. He is the most determined, caring, and loyal man I have ever met. He told me from the off that he had a daughter, came with a lot of baggage. I loved him for his loyalty and sense of duty.

Present day: I absolutely love my SD. I never thought I could love another child like my own, or as much as I do. And I didn't think I could love my SO more, but I do every time I see him with his daughter, and how he still continues to have to battle to see her (BM cancelling or refusing contact and breaching the contact order, or refusing to answer the phone). He will never speak a bad word about the BM infront of his daughter, and reassures her how much mummy and daddy love her. In short - he's doing a damn good job and I don't think I could do it with his composure. 

The BM despises me. There's truly no logic or rational explanation. I am not the "other" woman. I even asked my partner to send her a message from me (not directly from me as didn't want to invade her privacy) just to say I will never try and be a mum to their daughter /muscle my way in and fully respect her routine for their daughter , etc. In return I have received: threats to "end my career' with calls to my law firm; telling my SD that I am "an evil witch" which she has repeated back to us , in tears, saying "my mummy hates you but I love you". I could go on. 

I am 28; none of my work friends my age have children of their own yet, let alone step children. I suddenly feel responsible for a little girl who me and my SO are really worried about from a safeguarding perspective, but we are up against a woman with a seemingly endless source of money to fight legal battles we simply cannot afford. I feel like we are in an impossible situation. I work 85 hour weeks with my job, and we then have my SD for Saturday day time, return her to her BM, then have her again Sunday day time. I'm exhausted, frustrated, and isolated in this situation. 

If anyone has any advice, please reach out. 

Sorry for the essay - I didn't realise I had so much to say until I began typing! 

LC 

tog redux's picture

Sadly, you are in an impossible situation. This BM will do all she can to sabotage the child's relationship with both of you, which will cause her irreparable harm. You will likely be fighting parental alienation for years to come. 

I wish I had more hope to give you, but realistically, there is little to give. Just protect yourself and decide whether or not he's worth all you will go through. 

SteppedOut's picture

I will say it, he is not worth all the trouble.

You are child-free and have an excellent career. This is not the man or the life you want trust me.

Sadly, love is not enough.

tog redux's picture

I decided DH was worth staying - BUT, I was in my 40s, not 28.

And this will sound awful, but like my DH's situation, this an example where both the man and the child would have been better off if he walked away when he found out she was pregnant. But once you are attached to the child, it's almost impossible to do.  He tried to do right by the child, now he, the child, and any woman he's with will pay the price.

Rags's picture

You are a lawyer.  Dust off DH's old case, polish it up, and go to war.  It shouldn't cost you a dime to keep psycho bitch from hell trust fund baby BM under the hairy eyeball of the courts for life, or until she crawls and stays under her psycho bitch from hell rock.

She in all likelihood will continue to spool out the rope that you and SO can use to hang her with.  

So do it.

Good luck.  

Now for you.  I am usually not one to tolerate toxic crap from the blended family opposition or from toxic failed family progeny or to allow any of that crap or those people end a relationship.  I have adjusted my perspective a bit over the years.  You are a successful professional with your own children.  Are you fully prepared to sacrifice yourself and your own children to this toxic cesspool of historic breeding mistake baggage.

Take care of you.  

Laurencharlotte20's picture

Thank you everyone for the advice so far. I really love my SO, and it is honestly the most supportive relationship I've ever been in. I should have said from the outset that I am not looking to end my relationship with my SO or worried about that relationship; just need advice on how to handle the BM and how best myself and my SO can protect our relationship through this. Myself and my SO are fully committed to one another. 

Togredux I think you're right and i am sure my SO wonders if he should have done this sometimes, but nonetheless he has got a beautiful little girl out of this. 

I guess the only thing we can control /change is our response to the BM. Her behaviour is beyond prediction and so there's no point trying to anticipate her next move I don't think (?). Rather, I just don't know whether we try fight legal battles after legal battle, or wait until my SD is old enough to chose where she wants to reside. I am convinced that her BM will be her own undoing (at least I hope). She's lost her friends over her treatment of my SO. 

shamds's picture

Certified letter sent to her that further legal action will be taken and hve a restraining order against her!!

she is a hcgubm!!! They are unstable and crazy and need to make themselves relevant. 

Parralel parenting is the only way here. You do not need tour partner to send messages to her that you will not be a mum to this girl and overstep your position or boundaries. This sd is in your home and you manage your household as you see fit. Eff the bio mum!! She doesn’t control your home and your life!!

bio mums like this thrive on conflict!! They are all over the place and you just wonder hoe crazy they are and what are they after?? Its just to make your lives hell so they appear relevant. Ignore her bitching and psycho-ness and when things start getting physical with her coming to your work, restraining order immediately and certified letter you will pursue this legally!!!

document everything. She rocks upto work and stalks you, a coworker or security is witness to this for when you go legal on her. 

She is nothing but a pampered leecher!!! Thinks she can have her way no matter what!!