You are here

One of Our Own

BlueberrysBaby's picture

Hopefully the third time's the charm - I'm pregnant!

So apparently though DH and I had no privacy over the holidays, we had just enough Wink

This is actually my fifth pregnancy - third with DH. The first four ended in miscarriage so I am "cautiously optimistic" about this one at only 4 1/2 weeks. (I know it's bad luck to tell before the 4th month, but I'm sort of anonymous here so I figure it doesn't count as bad juju Smile )

It's been 15 years since DH had a baby around - the skids are all older and he's lived apart from them most of their lives. I'm honestly hoping this is a whole new ballgame for him - that he doesn't compare our baby to the ones he's already got and that he recognizes his life is completely different than it used to be. I don't want our child to be an extension of the kids he already has - am I loony to hope for as much? I mean, 15 years is a long time - is it enough to recognize ours as a separate family? I'll go absolutely ape-sh*t if he ever says, "you look like your big sister" (blech - this child has no living siblings) or "so & so used to do that when he was a baby too!" (barf)

I'm sure to the altruistic Pollyanna-types here I sound like a petulant child, but I don't want the experience of our first child ruined by the cloud of his pre-existing kids and the foul shadow of his ex-life. To some extent, it already is because I have to consider their impact.

In anyone's experience here, have you found that when a new baby is born and there are older skids, there is a clear distinction between the two families or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Blueberrys Baby

Anne 8102's picture

Here's our brood...

SD16 is not really DH's biological child. BM cheated, got knocked up, DH decided to try to "do the right thing" and be a father to the child. They divorced later, she established paternity in the real father and now SD has two dads. That's the oldest. The middle two are SS12 and SD15. They are both "exceptional" children. SS is moderately mentally handicapped with all kinds of letters in his diagnosis - ADHD, ODD, PDD, etc. SD is mildly mentally handicapped with a serious speech impediment and lots of letters in her diagnosis, as well. Then we have my BS10. He is actually from my first marriage, but my ex-husband gave up his rights and after we got married, DH adopted him. Then we have one biological child together, BD4.

Forget yours, mine and ours. We have a yours, mine, ours and theirs family, but they are brothers and sisters, period. Legally, I guess the younger four would be half-siblings and the oldest would be half-siblings to the younger two skids and nothing to my kids, but we don't even distinguish. They are all five our kids, they are all brothers and sisters, they are all our family.

I'm definitely more the grumpy old bitch type than I am a Pollyanna, but having step-children or even having had a child myself with someone else really didn't affect the experience of us having a child together. I had two miscarriages with DH, as well, and I can honestly say that each pregnancy, even the ones that didn't result in a live birth, was a unique experience in and of itself.

There's going to be some distinction, considering the ages of his older children, but regardless of how long it's been or how old they are, they are still going to be your child's siblings. The thing I struggle with the most with my own skids is that their mother has done a bang-up job of totally alienating my husband, me and our children from the lives of her children. That means that MY kids, who are younger, are growing up not even knowing what their half-siblings are like. Our daughter is only four. She was two the last time she saw her other brother and her sisters. She's growing up not even knowing her other siblings. And I think that's sad, that these kids are brother and sister, and yet they are growing up apart and having no relationship with one another. It's bad enough that she succeeded in taking the skids away from their dad/my husband, but she's also taken them away from their brother and sister, MY children. As much as you don't like the idea of your skids being your child's siblings, they are. And someday your child may want a relationship with them. I wouldn't decide that for him/her. I would want to maintain and open-door policy, just in case. I don't know how I'm going to explain the skids' absence from my daughter's life when someday she's old enough to ask and understand. Think very long term here. Family is forever.

~ Anne ~

"Adjust on the fly, or you're going to cry."
Steve Doocy, The Mr. and Mrs. Happy Handbook

Anne 8102's picture

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR BABY-TO-BE!!!

~ Anne ~

"Adjust on the fly, or you're going to cry."
Steve Doocy, The Mr. and Mrs. Happy Handbook

Rae's picture

I have a half sister 15 years younger than me. There was never any distinction. She was my sister period. Still is, and we are very, very close. We talk many times a week and try to see each other any time we can despite living thousands of miles from each other. The only time I even mention she is a half sister is on this site, but in all ways, shapes and forms, she is my whole, complete sister. She has truly enriched my life.

Most Evil's picture

d

BlueberrysBaby's picture

Thanks very much for the congrats Smile I'm being careful and eating my veggies. So far so good.

I've also read the comments about no distinction between sibling and half-siblings. I wonder if this sampling is just too small to predicts. I know fully biological siblings who are 15+ years apart who feel like members of two different families (more than one instance actually). Anyway - we'll see how it all works out. They live in the southeast and we live in the midwest so hopefully it will not be as big an issue as I fear. The thing that bothers me the most I guess is that this isn't his first time and he's bound to make comparisons. That would just crush me if I ever heard it - because for me this IS our first. Anyway - I don't want to think about it any more - have enough to worry about just staying pregnant and don't want any joy robbed from our little celebration.

Thanks again everybody!

Blueberry's Baby