You are here

18 YO SS is a pothead

Schooley's picture

Not that smoking pot is such an issue..But my wife baught him a car claiming that he needed it to find a job..I disagree.I say he needs a job before getting a car.There are plenty of starter jobs in town..He flunked out of school. Has NEVER had a job..I have told him of many jobs. He does "work" a couple part days a week, not every week helping a friend roof the friends mothers house..I think they are just tarring the leaks..Yesterday, I told him about a website that specifically deals with teen jobs and that there are MANY (76) jobs in the area..He said he was tired of looking (He applied to 5 businesses and NEVER called back) and that filling out apps is boring..

He gets up after noon most days.When he gets woken up, he gets up, getrs in his car and goes to his friends house where they proceed to smoke their pot until he comes home..DRIVING the car his mom own (in her name)..I have met him face to face at 2,3 and 4AM and found him higher than 100 hippies.

How can I protect myself from prosecution if the police find pot in the house or residual liability if he hurts or kills someone since I am married to his mother?

sammysgirl's picture

you love her and you respect her and you want to do anything to make her happy. but it is also your job to protect her from outside threats and he has become one.

get the car and drop the insurance - my experience with drug users (even just pot) they will let you take care of them as long as you are sucker enough to do it. until he feels the pain of his own choices it is unlikely he will change for the better and endangering your home by forfeiture or endangering others lives by driving under the influence are serious issues that he doesnt care about because they wont hurt him.

the beauty of supporting a drug user - you get to take all the chances and pay all the penalties for their choices -- dont !

i kicked out my drug using brother and after 3 years he tells me -- "i dont know why you put up with me - you should have kicked me out sooner." he is finally straight.

she will be mad. she will get over it. he will be mad but - he wont get better being protected from his choices. let him feel the pain if you love him -- if you do nothing nothing will change for him.

my two cents.