You are here

Newbie that needs some direction...

stepsontoes's picture

Hi everyone...
I'm a newbie and need some advice, encouragement or just a plain objective shoulder to cry on. I just don't even know where to begin because we have soooooooo many issues and my marriage is crumbling as a result.

A little history..DH and I have been married almost 4 yrs. My first, his 2nd. 4 months after we got married his 2 children suddenly came to live with us. The kids pretty much raised them selves to that point as BM was leading a double life without DH knowledge. Anyway, they didn't have much, had never been around an extended family - had never been on a family vacation.

Fast forward 4 yrs and SS18 and SD14 are spoiled brats! Instead of appreciating a nice house, vacations, cell phones and a loving family they are whining about not having enough. The more DH and I try to limit and curtail this, the worse it gets. Then ultimately DH caves. EVERY time! To top it off we have had typical teenage episodes (skipping school, lies, sneaking out, refusal to do the very few chores they do have, attitudes). So DH and I working through all this with restrictions and consequences when one day to the next SD14 annouces that she's talked to BM and she wants to move out because I'm mean!!! What?!?! Mean because I asked to put her own dishes in the dishwasher...mean because I asked her to take her laundry upstairs...mean because I asked her to remove her muddy shoes before entering the house...get the picture? Anyway, we have a "family" meeting clear the air and all is well, because I take SD shopping and don't ask her to do anything for a few weeks. Meanwhile SS moves out and then moves back just in time for vacation. (and that's a whole other story in itself!!)

So here it is, we are back from a very expensive tropical vacation and all hell breaks loose! The kids tell another lie to their dad that I said/did something. So DH blames ME, doesn't listen to me at all and protects his "angels" despite the history of lies and manipulation from both kids. Now DH has given me an ultimatum - make them like you (ie take them shopping, say yes to everything, don't provide feedback) or we are done. I've tried talking to DH about this but he doesn't fight fair and won't listen. I suggested marriage counseling so that we can rationally discuss and come to a mutually amicable decision but he doesn't see the value as everything is my fault and I'm the one that needs to change.

I never, ever in a million years anticipated such heartbreak and sadness. All I wanted was to make a positive change in 2 kids lives and instead I've been thrown under the bus. I am emotionally spent, depressed and have no desire for anything but sleep. I totally resent the kids and I am beginning to loose any love I have for them. I do however love DH dearly and want this marriage to work.

missangie1978's picture

because DH doesn't give a damn about your marriage or you. If he did he would never have given you that ultimatum.

I'd try counseling as a lst resort but honestly in your place I'd be making plans to be out of there and fast. Let him deal with his bratty spoiled kids.

stepsontoes's picture

thanks missangie but i'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet. i respect my vows and will try everything possible before ending my marriage.

Orange County Ca's picture

You're not ready to quit so try this:

I wrote this a long time ago and I hope this helps with your problem. It may not reflect your exact situation but you'll get the idea:

The situation with my step-kids finally got to the point where I decided that my efforts to raise them was futile.

First I told my wife in private what I was going to do and why.

Then I stopped investing myself, time and money in their upbringing. I realized that by conscious choice I could cease being responsible for them or their actions. Neither would I take credit for how they turned out, good or bad. I simply stopped interfering in their lives. This is not to say if they would start a fire on the living room floor I would not intervene. But if they did not do the laundry as scheduled I ignored it. Nor did I do any of their chores. If the trash overflowed in the kitchen - well tough. Mom dealt with it when she got home.

You will be absolutely amazed at the look on a kids face when s/he realizes you don't care enough to even tell their bio-parent they did something wrong. And you'll be amazed at their future behavoir and attitude towards you.

I stayed friendly enough and taught one how to drive when she was old enough. But they could no longer blame me for the consequences of misbehaving just because I saw the misbehavoir. I never told. If they were caught in a infraction it was not my fault. They began to realize that they were responsible for their actions because of what they did not because I caught them.

I would talk to my wife in private if I had issues, but once she made the decision I backed her up 100%.

Once the kids realized I was no longer the ogre they thought I was their attitude changed. I was not their friend, but neither was I the enemy. They came to realize that I had not done those things to irritate them. They in fact missed the things that they had come to depend on me doing. Permission to go to the mall when their Mom was not home? "Sorry, can't do that".

Their mother slowly came to realize that I wasn't overreacting to their actions. In fact I wasn't reacting at all. She came to understand that she would have to control the situation and she did.

With that things got much easier around the house.

Billions of kids grew up in the world without help from me and turned out just fine.

There's an exception to everything I say.

stepsontoes's picture

thanks oc...not sure how it would work in our house since i make more money than DH and our finances are joint. as far as leaving the chores are concerned, if the kids don't do their chores (trash, dishes, etc...) i'll wait, and wait and eventually end up doing it - dh won't do it. then when he sees me doing it he says, oh you should have had SS do it. no crap sherlock!

i'm willing to try anything though. i work full time and do all the cooking and majority of the cleaning. should i no longer cook for the kids? not buy grocerys for them? i mean i don't know where exactly to draw the line. i've already disengaged quite a bit this past year. i no longer take the kids to drs appts, to their friends etc...but it seems as though it's made things worse.

whatever's picture

I would choose counseling but not the family one, if your DH is not willing to go. You need it for yourself. You are the one who's hurt, and you need healing and comfort. It helps to hear an advice from a professional. What your step children do to you - is completely expected and "normal". Your frustration is completely expected and normal. We are human beings, and we communicate by exchanging energies. When I give my positive energy to someone I do expect the same positive energy in return. If I don't get that positive energy in return, rather negative one, I decide not to interact with that person anymore to avoid discomfort. When I grow and mature I learn to give my positive energy without expecting anything in return. I am still in process of learning how not to give back any negative energy when I recieve unreasonable negaivity from others who I have to deal everyday like my SS and his extended BM's family.

I uses to be a member of a private saddle club. One day I came to the stable with a bag full of treats - dried rye bread, but found no horses there, except one, a almost blind old veteran, who I fed all my bread. Before I left I reached my hand to pet the horse's nose, and the thing bit me. I cried Ouch, what the matter with you? Thankless rotten egg! Bad horse! - But of course the horse didn't care of me and my cry and my hurt hand (and emotions?), with no mercy she stepped back from me - she had no interest in me anymore, I didn't smell like bread anymore.
Same with the step kids LOL! Well, not exactly, but something in this picture is very similar SP-SK relationship.

Go to a couselor, tell the story, you will get some fresh ideas how the whole thing works and how to get out of illusions in any relationship. If you not getting what you need and want from this marriage, get out. You say you respect your vows, but marriage is not about vows, it is about love, support, trust, respect...If too many ingridients are missing, soup tastes like water - no one wants to eat it. Do you?