You are here

Venting About the Spoiled SS

mimi719's picture

I'm about to go get my SS14 a new cellphone. His last one 'happened' to break when he was at his moms and very mad at me and DH - AFTER he had been lying and we had big talks over his grades (all Fs and Ds). His dad doesn't want him to NOT have a phone, especially if home alone - I get that. I don't think he should get a new phone. I think he should EARN money for a replacement phone. Whatever. We're disagreeing on this one. I'm just hating to go do this and being whiney about it. It's an awesome lesson he's learning here, I"m sure - break something - get a brand new better replacement. Be a lying little jerk with shit grades and get a new phone!

I am not looking for replies here, just needed to vent. Shewwwwww.

Queeny's picture

Why not get a home phone!?!? If the concern is him being home alone!!! A landline is less likely to cause drama and is probably cheaper than replacement phones.

mimi719's picture

We may still get a home phone. I don't know. I'm so frustrated. I'm trying to do what dad wants as I begin to disengage.

Maganamitre04's picture

IMO- I believe you H should be getting him a cellphone if he feels he should have one. Regardless of his agenda for the next few days I'm sure the child isn't dying without one. He can wait. He shouldn't have broke it in the first place. Consequences... it shouldn't be up to you, especially if you feel very apprehensive on doing so. If he should work on making money to get a replacement than get a landline and see how he struggles with that. I'm sure that'll motivate him to want to make money and get his cellphone replaced.

Im sure it sucks, kid has bad grades, gets new phone. What type of example is being set... none. There is zero consequences and he's at a age when consequences should be implemented not rewarded. 

mimi719's picture

Yeah, I thought of having him go to the cell phone store, but I need to wiggle some things around on the account and my husband will get all confused with it. Also, he's got a viewing/funeral to go to over the next couple of days.

We may still get a home phone. We've all had cells for years and that's worked well. In the past, their BM hasn't let them call us, so we got him a phone years ago, so he could call whenever he wanted =(.

The boys have been at their BMs for the last five days, while I've been home reading about disengaging. I think it's going to be tough to start.

Orange County Ca's picture

Phones exist that can call a limited amount of numbers (5 I think) plus 911.

He can call Daddy, Mommy, step-dad, you and Grandma - that's it.

Daddy feels secure that son is capable of getting help and the kid learns a lesson.

I remember I screwed up and didn't lock my bicycle and sure enough it was stolen. I needed one to carry my paper route. Dad bought himself a plain wrap bike and "loaned" it to me. 55 years later I am still very aware of security.

mimi719's picture

There were three phone options: and old flip phone, buy a used phone, get a new phone. DH chose a new phone for him. Unbelievable. The new one was free, but still. It wasn't deserved.

SS14 thanked me multiple times for the phone. Otherwise, no conversation between the two of us. Jerk. I'm glad he said thank you. I just think it's odd to not have communication with people in your own house. I'm sure he knows he owes me apologies. That'll never happen. Never. Nobody is teaching him to own-up to his mistakes. It's sad.