You are here

“Money hoarding” good or bad thing in SS13

CalliMay09's picture

SS13 is a total selfish spoiled brat. See old posts for details. The one "good" thing( DH Opinion) is SS13 saves most his money he gets rather than spend it on normal kid junk.

Now this is NOT money SS13 has earned by doing chores which he refuses to do but from rich Relatives on BM's side for Xmas, Easter, bday. SS13 has informed us he has over $1500 hidden away at BM's house. DH and BM have tried to get SS to put it in the bank but SS refuses. 

Now the problem I see is SS refuses to spend a penny of the money except for RARE occasions and only small amounts. SS Conveniently leaves all the money at BM's house even when DH tell SS we are going someplace so he needs to bring money if he wants something which SS ALWAYS does. Of course SS will then want Daddy to buy him stuff and of course DH does. Even when DH makes SS promise to pay him back SS rarely does. Yes DH will remind SS but SS always has an excuse why he forgot. 

Now DH thinks SS is a great saver but I see it more as being selfish and wanting to spend DH money rather than his. Now add the fact SS is totally lazy and refuses to do any chores even for money and told us no way is he going to work a crap job like most teens do. My fear is SS is going to grow up entitled thinking working any job making less than $80k a year is not worth his time so he will continue to want daddy to pay his bill while he hordes his money away. 

Thoughts is this normal teen thinking? 

Evil4's picture

My SKs always got the Disneyland Dad amount of money and presents for Christmases and birthdays. DH would spend literally thousands of dollars on each kid. My SKs would always "forget" to bring the money from BM's. DH would bitch to me about how the money he gave them always ended up at BM's. DH would also bitch about being seen by BM and the SKs as nothing but a walking wallet. Well, that's because he was. If the kids "forgot their money, DH would fork over the money. Why bring your money over when someone else is a sucker and will pay for everything? Also, DH never told the kids they must bring Dad-money back to Dad's house and Mom-money stays at Mom's. If our spouses won't enforce that and they keep buying for the kids without requring pay-back, then it makes perfect sense that the kids won't have to bother brining any of their money with them. Also, in your SS' case, it may be that if the money is mainly from BM's side of the family, she may be telling SS to leave that money at Mom's house. 

Since my SKs were so spoiled rotten, SD31 never worked until she was 20. DH constantly lamented over it, but I would remind him that since he provides the SKs with 10K worth of gifts and money each every birthday and Christmas, he has made it so that they don't need to work. DH never did learn that lesson. He kept desperately buying the brats. To this day, SS29 has employment issues. He's worked only part time since graduating HS. It's a crying shame because he's a brilliant young man. I think he's got a super high IQ and is actually a genius and has the amount of charm to match, but unfortunately it'll all go to waste. 

BethAnne's picture

I am reading this right...10K for christmas gifts + 10K for birthdays gifts???? ....it doesn't even matter if that is for each child or all of them combined....that is beyond any type of disney Dad I have heard of. That is Disney Delux and Diamond Dad.

Evil4's picture

Yep! You read that right. DH would go insane to prove to the SKs that he could provide way more material possessions and money than BM ever could. The stories I could tell you about the Disneyland dad crap that went on in our household...

ndc's picture

Well, it's good that he saves his money rather than blow it on stuff he can do without.  A lot of teens cannot do that.  It's bad that he's selfish and won't use his money for others, like to buy a gift for DH.  It's bad that he doesn't want to work a crap job as a teen.  Clearly he doesn't understand that even a crap job provides valuable experience and the lack of any work experience when you're looking for your "real" job doesn't look good.  It's totally on your DH that he buys stuff for SS after he tells him to bring his own money to buy that stuff.  I'd leave my money at BM's too if I knew dad would pay for my stuff if I didn't have money (although any time we went out as a family when I was young, my father bought stuff for me and I wasn't expected to use my own money).  If that's what happens at BM's house, it's not surprising SS would expect the same thing at dad's house.  I think his thinking is totally normal on that, and he'll continue to do it as long as dad foots the bill.

Rags's picture

Saving is smart... not selfish.  If SS is told to bring g money if he wants treats while in vacation,  daddy needs to not buy him treats.

Your fixation on the Skids saving habits and his money is a bit odd IMHO.

I do agree that his cash needs to be in a bank account.

Lifer33's picture

What he gets from bm side is only their business surely? It's up to her to make him bank or spend it.

If he's getting money from yours or dhs side then that's up to you guys.

Ss has a fair amount of holiday and birthday money saved in a bank account dh made him. We don't expect him to spend it on days out with us but if he suddenly decides he wants expensive clothes or bag above the average, he can get it out of his own money as after all that would've been his birthday gift he could've asked for at the time. Its essentially his money to spend in place of presents. 

Harry's picture

Should be spending his money on anything except presents for his BM and BF. Brother and sisters. Or anything he really wants.  Not things when he's out with you or BM family. He's still a kid at 13.  He should be saving got college or a car ect

ESMOD's picture

I kind of agree here.  At least with families that have reasonable means.  

Kids should have their needs provided for by their parents.. shelter, food, educational supplies, clothing (basic), transportation etc...

Parents should also be prepared to provide kids with some wants... extra curricular activities.. toys... etc.. within reason.

I think they also should be teaching their children to handle money responsibly.. so an allowance meant to cover some of those wants... snacks or pocket money spending.. teaching kids to budget what is in their pocket.. can teach good lessons.

But... learning to save for bigger goals like a car.. or an expensive gaming system.. those are good lessons too and if the boy wants to do that.. he should be encouraged.

I'm not saying parents are obligated to buy every Xbox game the kid wants.. no.. they can certainly tell their child that if they want more games.. they need to figure out how to save or work to earn it.  

But, expecting a child to bring spending money on a vacation? I'm not sure I would really expect that unless the expectation is that what the child would need/want to buy was way out of the normal category... and spending their savings would be appropriate.

advice.only2's picture

You are assuming that SS really does have that money saved somewhere, unless and until you see it I would just think the kid is lying and stating this to sound important.

That aside your DH is part of the issue here, he buys SS whatever he wants whenever he asks. Also your DH is more than capable of opening a savings account for his son and putting money in there.

AgedOut's picture

Dad has the ability to say "no" your problem is w/ him, he can say no, he chooses not to.

Rags's picture

As I moved into my older childhood years my parents started vectoring me towards earning, saving, and spending my own money for key purchases.  The most notable example was a new bike that I had my heart set on.  Rather than just buying it for me outright, they offered to match any money I saved for the bike.  That allowed me to focus on earning and saving, ultimately for a much nicer bike than I origninally had my eye set on.

My parents never expected me to spend my money on family related expenses, or even on gifts for the family.  I often did spend my own money on gifts for my parents and my brother, but... it was neither expected nor demanded.

Cover1W's picture

YSD15 is a hoarder of things - not just money (but at least she's neat and clean about it).

But she has a lot of cash just stashed in her room here and at BMs (most of it ends up at BMs of course).  I am all for her learning how to use a bank/credit union and start leaning how to manage her money. She's had an account at $0 for over 3 years now because BM and DH don't care.  I gave up on this learning experience years ago becase DH just didn't think it was something she needed to learn.

She never spends her own $$. Because DH and BM buy everything.  DH asked me why she doesn't spend anythnng, "Why should she? You and BM just get whatever she wants."  No answer.

At 13 I would expect the kid to learn how to spend for his true wants (candy, snacks, etc.). By 15 maybe certain clothing or toiletries beyond the basics. This would mean ordering on line, or going to the store and the KID does the transaction with the cashier. It's basic living skills.

But what do I know?  I'm just a SM.

Merry's picture

CalliMay, this is not your battle to fight. Why do you care if SS hoards his money at BM's house? I can see that you would care if DH is spending money you don't have, but that's entirely different.

Of course SS should keep most of his money in the bank. His parents could take steps to ensure that he does, or provide incentives for him to do so. But they don't. The excuse that the 13 year old refuses just tells me that his parents are weak.

If DH tells SS prior to a visit that there is no shopping this time, and DH doesn't enforce that, then DH is the problem.

LET IT GO. You have no power to fix any of this, unless the real problem is that DH is overspending. SS's money habits are not your concern.