You are here

Advice Columnist tells stepmom she's "wound tight" after being robbed by stepdaughters

Justdad'swife's picture

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/stepdaughters-steal-pajamas-drink-booze-...?

If you're unable to see the link, here you go but I really loved the comments, they really tore the columnist apart and went to bat for stepmom.  People really don't apply the same rules to stepmoms.  Yuck.

My Stepdaughters Steal My Pajamas and Drink My Booze. Why Won’t My Husband Stand Up For Me?

Dear Care and Feeding,

I can’t deal with my stepdaughters. They were considerate in their teens. They are now in college and have the manners of barely feral dogs. Despite having their own apartment, they think nothing of driving over and letting themselves into our home without checking in at all. I will come home to find my wet laundry left on the floor, the pantry raided, dirty dishes left out, and the lights left on. The door to our bedroom is often not shut all the way (I always close it). I had to start locking the liquor cabinet because bottles went missing. The girls deny doing this and said it was all in my head. My husband refused to back me up. So I secretly got security cameras set up for the front and back door and the living room.

We went away for the weekend and came home to an empty fridge and dishes left in the sink. I immediately went to the security footage and found both girls had brought friends over to spend the night. And lent them my pajamas! When I confronted the girls, they went crazy and accused me of “spying” on them. I yelled back that they went through my damn underwear drawer and I am missing one set of pajamas, what else did they or their friends steal from me! My husband had to get in the middle and made the girls leave.

When we got home, I told him we were getting the locks changed and the girls were not getting a key. He agreed, but thought I was making a mountain out of a molehill. This was the girls’ home. My answer: The girls had moved out. They lied to us, denied coming over without telling us, and went through my underwear drawer. I am lucky I keep my good jewelry in a safe. We had the locks changed but the girls refuse to apologize and I am afraid there might be an outburst during the holiday at their grandparents’ house. I am not crazy here. All I asked was for a heads-up, and they gaslight me. Help!

—Locked Out

Dear Locked,

The drama! What started out as a mild disagreement between a stepmom and her stepdaughters has gone scorched-earth, and I’m afraid that you are just as much to blame for the current situation as the girls are. (Also, your husband! He is also to blame!)

I’ll start with the stepdaughters. Yes, they should not be lying to you about having people over. For starters, such lies are laughably easy to disprove, thanks to modern technology! These college students should have been smart enough to have foreseen that. They absolutely should learn to move your laundry to the dryer, to turn off lights, and not to borrow the clothing of people who do not want their clothing borrowed.

Indeed, they should have learned those things long ago. That’s just the first mistake your husband has made in this situation, not managing to instill into these feral-dog-children sufficient respect for other people’s laundry, which I agree with you is a supremely annoying household transgression. The second mistake he made was never sitting down with his children and saying, “Girls, your stepmother, I love her, but she is wired kinda tight, and it really drives her nuts when you go into our room, so can you try to respect that?”

This leaves you. You are being a total nightmare. Given a molehill, you have made not merely a mountain out of it but, like, an entire Great Smoky Mountains National Park. How on earth have we gotten to the point that you are locking your stepchildren out of their childhood home because you’re upset that they’re drinking your booze? Why are you declaring in print that if you didn’t lock up your jewelry, they would probably steal it? This is madness! What’s next: your decorative teapots?!

For most normal people, it is 100 percent to be expected that a child in college, who lives in the same vicinity as their parents, has the right to enter and exit the childhood home with impunity. Indeed, many parents find joy and delight in their children’s desire to return home now and then—to spend time with them or, sometimes, just to do the laundry or grab some free food. Because what the childhood home offers the college student in these precarious times is not only creature comforts but the security of a familiar, loving place.

Congrats on wrecking that. How have you nuked your relationship with these girls so badly that they don’t even want to tell you they’re coming by and go to great lengths, seemingly, to avoid you? Beats me! Certainly making them feel totally unwelcome in their own home couldn’t have helped. You seem to have known them in their high school years; your restrained description of them, at that time, as “considerate” does not give me any insight into what, if any, affection you had for them. It sort of sounds like what you are most interested about with them is whether they inconvenience you in any way. Hard to imagine why they don’t want to spend time with you!

Should your stepdaughters learn to be more respectful? Yes. Should your husband do a better job of communicating with everyone? Yes. Should you get off your high horse and apologize for being such a pain in the ass? Well, if you’d like to salvage your relationship with everyone in your family, you’d better.

AgedOut's picture

well that's a load of crap. some one comes into her home, without warning or permission, goes through her personal possessions, helped themselves to what ever they wanted and invited strangers to do the same and somehow the SM bears blame?

I'm calling B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T bullshit mama!

Crspyew's picture

This columnist is off base with the response.  No way in the world I would tolerate this behavior from my bios let alone step kids.  The shame and blame of the stepmother is outrageous.  No way these kids are entitled to come into the house and lie about it let alone bring other people into the house.  It's really ok to go thru SM's underwear/pjs and then wear them. Incredible.

Justdad'swife's picture

what people think we should put up with.  If we allowed our bios to do this, we would be called bad mothers.  If we don't allow skids to do this, we are called evil stepmothers.  People are so strange when it comes to their ideas about stepmothers.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

WTH. Is this satire? That 'columnist' sounds like a disgruntled skid. *dash1*

Exjuliemccoy's picture

What absolute garbage, and way to blame the victim. You have to wonder if the so-called expert deliberately gave inflammatory advice to drive traffic

Rags's picture

"Girls, your stepmother, I love her, but she is wired kinda tight..."

This is sadly just more proof of the delusion of those who deify spawn and demonize a parent's life partner when that partner is not the person that parent polluted their gene pool with.  Which in this case the toxicity of the dad's spawning with the BM was a gene pool polluting event is proven by the toxic spawn.  He and BM created this shit puddle of a generation and exacerbated the problem by failing as not only gene donors but also as parents.

This is not the girls childhood or family home.  It is the home of their father and his wife and these entitled sneaking thieving spawn have violated the sanctity of that home, disrespected their father and his wife, and are righfully purged from that home with zero independent access.  Even if this is a structure that these girls grew up in, wether in total or in part.

Good riddance the these shit SD's.  They have not earned a place in that home or even as family to either adult in that marriage.  If my brother or I had behaved as these shit spawn have behaved towards our father's bride our bodies would never be found.  And that would be the lightest of the consequences our father would have applied.

That his bride is also our mother is irrelevant. Even if she were our SM, the consequences would have been the same.

This is definately a hill to die on and I applaud the SM for putting cameras everywhere and purging the toxic stepspawn from her home without direct hairy eyeball supervision.  These are adults.  They are not minors.  She needs to call the cops, share the footage, and put them in jail.  Yes, even if that stains their entire futures with a record.

Don't fuck with  or disrespect dad and dad's bride!!!!!

ImperfectlyPerfect's picture

Yep - this is the WORST, least educated on step issues, mono-focused, stupid advice I've heard in a lonnnngg time. Gone are the days where we defend the adult SKIDs and automatically BLAME the stepparent for the direct assault made on the stepparent. I ran into a situation last month where I was directly assaulted (verbally) by adult stepkids- NO reason, I had done nothing but be nice even when I really felt it was undeserved. And of course NO recourse, no apology for the poor treatment of me, another human being because I am the stepparent. I couldnt imagine writing about this mistreatment and abuse and then to be told by a columnist that it's somehow MY fault. How enraging?! How incredibly crazy is our society to think that it comes down always to the stepparent. THINGS NEED TO CHANGE NOW. THIS IS EXACTLY WHY, THE PENDELUM NEEDS TO SWING TO THE MIDDLE, TOO many examples of outright abuse and the stepparent being burned. NO MORE. We should OUT this every single time. 

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I hope someone breaks into the columnist's home, drinks her liquor, wears her undies, and leaves a mess for her to clean up. 

Genius. Can someone write this to on the comments to the columnist please? 

Rags's picture

Shhhhhh!.  No one needs to know that Peter Parker is Spiderman!!!!

Wink

The Yahoo filters would not allow my usual wording, I had to be far more creative than usual.

Exjuliemccoy's picture

I'm still stewing on this. Dad is clearly a balless wonder. These semi feral SDs have been been pissing all over SM's territory for a while, and have become enboldened because daddee is too weak to stop it.

What they did - stealing, trespass, unauthorized guests, and underage drinking - would not fly in an intact family, so why is SM the bad guy? Oh yeah, because she dared to handle the situation instead of pasting on a smile and eating that excrement. I hope she plants a b!tch boot right up her spineless spouse's arse.

2Tired4Drama's picture

If the response was indeed written by Dan Bois, whose name is on the byline, then it is no surprise.

Bois wrote his own book awhile ago called, "How to Be a Family" about traveling the world for a year with his wife and two daughters. In one example, he talked about living in New Zealand and how his daughters were chased out of a neighbor's yard for using (her) trampoline. The girls complained to Bois because they thought the neighbor was "mean" and the kids thought they had a right to unrestricted use of the trampoline, which Bois passively agreed with.

'Nuff said.

A hack writer and his hatchet piece to continue the negative stereotype and vilify stepmothers. Nothing like broadcasting your bigotry. 

The thing I find most interesting is his year abroad with his family was purportedly to expand their exposure to diverse people, since he allegedly didn't have that in the suburban DC area where they were living. Right. All they had to do was ride the Metro to Anacostia neighborhood in DC and they would have experienced an entirely different culture. But of course that wouldn't make for a good book would it? 

If he wants to experience diversity, perhaps he should spend a year following the trials and tribulations of a stepmother/parent and write something based in reality. 

Love this response- digging deep and researched. @2Tired4Drama is another hero of mine. 

2Tired4Drama's picture

Thanks much, Imperfectly!  Although appreciated, I find hero is a word that can be overused in the strict sense.

For example, both SD and her DH are in careers which most people consider "heroic".  Not in my book. They are paid very good wages and benefits for the work that they willingly signed on to do, therefore their title of "hero" is misplaced, IMO. Not to mention they are otherwise self-absorbed with a strong level of narcissism apparent.  Thus, the hero title is something they love to feed off of.  "Look at me - I am a HERO!"

I believe heroes are fundamentally, and naturally, self-less people who would willingly sacrifice their lives for others - even if they don't know them nor would receive any benefit.  

Ok let's skip hero especially if that's the connotation you have - how about "thought leader" instead? Your response was researched, intellectual and carried the ball forward - can we go with that ? :D 

2Tired4Drama's picture

I have many, many thoughts about being in a step position - almost two decades' worth!  Smile

Please share your wisdom @2Tired4Drama - I am only a decade in and I am listening to the words of wise ones. 

Harry's picture

Was certifiely nuts. Bipoler.  Yes she stole.  But what can you do. Throw her on the streets.  Put her in a shelter.  Not only was she nuts but smart enough to learn how to play the system.  Telling the DRs all the right things. She was in the hospital for some reason. So I gave her like $5. In case she needed something.. She left the hospital walked to 7-11 and bought a beer .  
'You can't make this stuff up.  
'You do what you have to do.  

Elea's picture

I know nuclear families that make their BK's stay in a hotel when they come back home to visit rather than allowing them to stay in their family home. Each family is different and parents can absolutely decide to keep feral adult children out of their homes.

No one should have to put up with a lying, stealing brat. Once a thief they will probably always be a thief.

CLove's picture

Hence why I will never live with Feral Forger SD24 again (formerly known as Winona from her shoplifting days)

Rags's picture

We stay in a hotel when we visit my ILs. We stay with my parents when we visit my DW's ILs.

Fortunately we have not had my ILs visit us in a very long time. Except for my MIL who has visited in the past few years. She is not a problem, nor is she a thief.  My SIL... I would only allow her in my home if she was schackled by her wrists and ankles to a radiator in an empty room. Otherwise, shit will be missing.  Sadly, her sister (my DW) would be the one to lock the chains to the radiator. DW has zero trust in her sister.  Which breaks my bride's heart.

Cover1W's picture

That was originally a Slate piece. I was horrified when I read it. WTF?  The "advice" was, on Slate, countered very well overall in the Slate comments - MOST of those commenters were on the side of the SM by a wide margin. In fact, there's been a few letters/advice recently about SMs (never SDads of course!)...one about a SM refusing to buy a kid who's dad claimed sensitive eating disorder but the SM was substituting food and the kid didn't notice (from my experience with an ARFID kid they would know either by just looking at it or the milisecond it entered their mouth) and another about a SM who didn't want to include the steps in HER will, with good reason. The writer of course without good reason upheld the kids and parents. However, the Slate comments again, were pretty balanced.

BanksiaRose's picture

Full disclosure - I might be affected by PMS hormones today, or just tired at the end of the year and needing a holiday, but I just feel a lot of sadness. It's always the step parent that's the villain, but do the society stop to think that a lot of these step parents have never signed up to this role, and as far as they knew they were marrying/dating a person whose kids lived with the other parent full time, often no contact due to the parent's who kept them vindictiveness, until one day social services descend onto the step parent and their partner with the kids that have been removed from their other parent due to gross neglect, drug use and what have you, basically dumping the kids on them. My patient was one of those former kids, now a young adult. While pleasant with me and (seemingly) considerate and kind with his partner, he had so much vitriol towards his step mother, whose house he lived in as his own from the age of 8. 
There were no particular crimes he accused her of, other than not making his lunch box as full of nice stuff as her own kids', which I find hard to believe, and considering that he came from the background of extreme deprivation where he and sister had to resort to stealing food from shops to survive for years while at BM's, he should have been happy to get a normal (not "fancy") lunch from a woman who never signed up for 2 feral kids in the first place. He conveniently doesn't entertain the idea that he must have presented as a little animal when he first came into her care, as I can't imagine he was taught anything in the environment he lived in with permanently drug affected mother. 

He's angry that step mother has asked him to get a job and move out as soon as he's 18 - and he's a perfectly capable young man, doing apprenticeship, working, saving money, but for whatever reason he felt he should be entitled to hang around for years to come. He's angry with his BM, but also his step mother who raised him, when she didn't have to. He makes stupid mistakes, like speeding significantly over the limit to get a birthday gift to her, loses his licence for a few months and blames her for that. He can't be god's gift at work either, cause he was let go a couple of times for "No apparent reason", according to him, which makes little sense, since he's a good worker and gets re-employed easily, so it must be his entitled and argumentative nature. 

I'm also kinda sad realising that lots of tosh I believed for years due to lots of "trauma informed training" at work just isn't true, and just a lot of self-righteousness and a good money making scheme for consulting/training organisations, who tell you that as long as you provide enough boundaries and nurture, you'll end up having an amazing relationship with the most damaged kids. I'm realising that while I can like my step kids, I'll probably never love them. Sad, but when I think of my old dog who died, I used to miss him when I'd go away for a weekend or on holidays, and I still miss him after he passed away. I get a very warm feeling I'm my heart when I remember him, even the mischief he'd get into sometimes. I never stopped loving him, even when I was annoyed with him. I expected that if I can love a pet, a partner, a friend, I'd surely be able to love children, who might not have been dealt the best cards in their young lives. But I don't. I think the most I can learn to do is like them, but even that is hard, because they're in a violent/destructive mood most of the time, even if it's never directed at me or my possessions. 

Ah, as I say to my patients, it's important to accept other people's limitations before we decide where to with the relationship. I just usually use this about birth family adult relationships - parents, siblings. Once we accept that this is the best they'll ever be, this is the best they'll be able to give us, comes grief - grief of letting go of a perfect or even just a good enough parent, sibling, adult child, realising we will never have that. But what comes after grief is liberation - knowing that now you're free, because you no longer have to bang your head against the wall to be loved, respected and treated the way you deserve. You don't have to try and please them or keep fixing that relationship. Let it go. I think I'm just going through the grief stage now.

Rags's picture

Letting go happens after engaging in the stages of grief.  If I do not engage in that process, across all of the stages, the recycling, etc.... I can't let it go. 

I am no expert. But that is something that I have learned about myself.

Take care of you.   Therapist.... heal thyself may not work.  Seek out some professional help and invest in you to get through all of this.  You deserve that ... from you.

Again, take care of you Banksi.

Give rose

Love this - very insightful. I am getting towards liberation still working through it all but I am close. My anger went to grief/sadness and there are times where they gaslight me now and I worry if I am doing something wrong but then I remeber everyone's trying to pull me back into the dysfunction to be their punching bag and I step away. I hope to acheive freedom in 2024- for now i read these blogs, listent to advice and focus on myself. 

BanksiaRose's picture

I first attempted to post on a very generic yet anonymous social media website about the selfish BM, who basically forced the hand of fate and used IVF ( fully funded by my current partner) with full knowledge she only had a few years left to live and that she will have no capacity to care for the babies (night feeds, sleeping with them, soothing them when they scream), and lying through her teeth to my partner that she'll live at least till the kids are in their teens. Every single person in her immediate family, including her had either a significant genetic physical, psychiatric or mental retardation disorder, rendering all to rely on government supports. She was the only one that managed to work a low-grade job in a hospital for a few years, and presented herself as a knowledgeable medical professional, which she certainly wasn't. 

My partner (and I) are now trying to deal with their disordered behaviors, getting some diagnoses and medications in place. These kids are incredibly cruel, have ongoing fits of anger and aggression, weird loops of repeating pointless things and actions, and the older one has begun threats to kill his father. 

There was maybe one answer that made any sense at all in that forum. The rest ranged from angry, hateful saying that clearly I hate my boyfriend, I hate the poor wonderful mother who was so brave to have kids on death bed, that somehow I was jealous of her or her relationship with my now partner (WTF - jealous of a dead selfish wretch?..), to downright nutso answers, that perhaps my boyfriend coerced her into reproducing (for what - so that he can do all the night feeding, sleeping in their room, while also supporting the four of them, while paying for her treatment and the lifestyle she demanded after coming from welfare housing, and so that he can continue to be saddled with them after her death, reducing his chances of finding a partner?). 

There are lots of losers that use moral grandstanding/virtue signaling to feel better about themselves. It's easy on the internet. I like to think about what they and their lives look like in real life and I feel they wouldn't be the kind of people I would go to for any sort of advice and guidance, let alone moral values. 

Rags's picture

No one can fix stupid Banksi. We all see stupid people. They are all around us.

Even some people who express an opinion on a topic IRL qualify.  We have some dear friends in several countries around the world that we met during our Expat adventures who struggle with non viable family including their parents.   To the tune of countless thousands in annual financial support.   

That is the one area where we have not been able to come to a compromise perspective with those friends. My ILs are completely and totally incapable of making a good financial decision. Ever. In any circumstance. This includes my MIL and FIL and all three of  you DW's younger sibs and their mates and sadly... their children.  If there is only one possible decision, if it is a good decision, they won't make it.  They will crash and burn rather than do the wise financial thing.

We never give them a single Cent in discretionary gifts.  We even stopped giving gift cards because the never ending parade of idiocy that ensues if they have money.  The buy shit they can't afford then get themselves to the verge of eviction, forclosure, repossession, massive collection trouble, etc......

The international friends that oppose our "failure to support" my DW's family are mortified that we don't shovel over cash.  Even when explained in adnauseum detail the response is "but they are your family, it is your duty." .  Those friends find it even more offensive that the help we do provide is in the form of food deliveries, paying past due electric bills, etc... but only directly to the providers. Never do we give money to my ILs.  We even stopped that.  When we pay a bill or have groceries delivered, they take the money they would have scraped together for that and spend it on stupid shit. Tattoos, junky farm equipment... you name it.  Then... next month when they have to choose paying their utility bills or making their installment payment to their tattoo shop, guess what they pay?  Three guesses and the first two don't count.

This is not even me as the primary driver. It is my DW. She is a CPA and is adamant that any money given to her family might as well be used to scrub toilets then flushed. At least then it will return a clean toilet.   Given to them, it is entirely wasted.