You are here

Any advice greatly appreciated

I'm out's picture

So as some of you may know, I'm no longer with my Disney dad ex. I don't say that lightly he truly was a Disney dad. I wasn't a priority and didn't seem to count at all when it came to bm and sd6. I won't go into major details because as it's over its all a bit pointless to now. 

My advice is on a subject I'm sure a few of us know about. I've always felt I've been a bit immune to heartbreak, I'm 35 and have had several long term relationships but no break up has affected me the way this one has.

It's been 5 months. I miss him terribly, every single day and I just can't seem to move on. Facebook doesn't help, I see him on there all the time living his life and moving on but I can't bring myself to delete him. I can't go back to him nothing will have changed and it would just be heartbreak all over again.

I'm sure many of you have been heartbroken before. That gut wrenching,  could cry at any given moment at any time heartbreak. I wish I could have longer than 5 minutes a day not thinking about him. After 5 months I feel I should have moved on more than I should. Does anyone have any advice on how to move on when you really can't get over an ex?

Any advice will be much appreciated and I'd also just like to add how much this forum is helping me. It's such a relief to know that I'm not alone in what I went through and it really wasn't me being unreasonable..... sometimes love just isn't enough Sad

hereiam's picture

Facebook doesn't help, I see him on there all the time living his life and moving on but I can't bring myself to delete him

You must delete/block him, you are just prolonging your grief and making it harder for yourself.

It does take time to get over a broken relationship. Try to stay active with activities or hobbies, friends, etc. And sometimes, you just have to cry it out.

Remind yourself that he is not the person for you but you will someday find someone who is.

It's hard, many hugs.

I'm out's picture

Thank you to you all for your replies. I know I should delete him, every single part of me knows that I just can't seem to do it. I am however going to unfollow him and then I will only be able to see things if I actually look for it. I'll give myself till Monday,  if I am obsessively looking I don't think I have any choice but to delete him. I 100% know that I won't be able to move on until I do.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply Smile

Mountains's picture

Block him, unfriend him, etc., whatever it takes to take him and his life now out of your daily existence.  Is it harder than leaving him?  I would think the hardest thing was walking away so use that strength to break that final cord.  Then take the wonderful advice given above - take care of you.

SecondNoMore's picture

Not looking at him on social media is essential! It is literally feeding your obsession with him; I know... I go through this with every BF and even just crushes. It seems like it is going to hurt, but it will really be you taking control and feeling in control, rather than feeling left behind. I promise after the first few days of FB abstinence, you will start to feel more normal.

In the bigger sense, I think the only way to get through really painful breakups is to fill your life up with more of everything else, possibly including other men to distract you. I've been very grateful to have had flings after my toughest breakups, and while it didn't erase the heartbreak, it made it much more tolerable in the immediate aftermath. Stay busy, travel and improve yourself in any ways you feel you need to, both outside and inside. I am a firm believer that a truly confident person is immune from this kind of heartbreak because she would never want to be with someone who can't make her a priority. Do whatever you need to to become that kind of person.

I'm out's picture

Thank you, you are right a confident woman would have shown him the door within the first 6 months. You are right about feeding the obsession aswell. Thank you for your reply Smile

NoWireCoatHangarsEVER's picture

Him with all of his disney daddy tendencies or the idea of him?  What you wanted him to be that he wasn't?  I bet that is what you are really mourning!  The dream! The dream of the 2.5 kids and the husband that loves you and the white picket fence.  He represents what you hoped and dreamed of having in a relationship BUT that isn't him.  It's okay to mourn and grieve but you do need to block him. 

Rags's picture

Other than pinning over him what else are you doing?  Get off of FB and live your life. That is the most direct path to moving on and finding your new normal and new happy.  Living well is the best revenge so live well, engage with the things you love doing with other people that enjoy those things.  Before you know it he will be a faded memory.  Which is all he should be.

Do not waste another second of your life on this unworthy man and his shallow and polluted gene pool.  You have put them where  they belong. In your rear view mirror. Now is your time and the time to purge this refuse from your mind.

Move on.  For your own good.

I'm out's picture

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I can see now that the only way to really break free is by blocking him as at the moment he is still there being a part of my daily life which is keeping him in my life.

I will do all the lists that have been suggested aswell and get on a diet/fitness regime to get my confidence back and then I'm sure I will see how right my decision was and I'll never want to look back.

Thank you all so much.

marblefawn's picture

Every time you feel that sting of the breakup, remember the bad times. They are why you broke up and they are real. Encourage the sense of "Man, I dodged that bullet" because you did. Think of the worst thing about that relationship and then figure out how you could have solved it -- that will get your head back where it belongs: recognizing a dead end when you see it.

An early breakup is nature's cure for divorce. You're going to be just fine. And when you have that Prince Charming, this guy will be a funny memory you talk about at cocktail parties!

I'm out's picture

Thank you, that last paragraph made me smile alot ☺ I can't wait for that day ☺

still learning's picture

Break your addiction to social media. You don't have to specifically block him, delete the app off your phone and block the site on your computer for a week. As someone above stated, Go dark and all will be illuminated. I deleted Facebook years ago and have never looked back. It's ridiculous how much of a time suck it was and didn't impact my life in any positive way.  Let go.  

StrawberryPie's picture

Block him on ALL social media.  And if you cant bring yourself to do this, ask one of your friends.  And know time is a great healer.  And be gentle with yourself. Except for the social media - make yourself do this right now!

flmomma08's picture

As others have said, you’re going to have to get him off your social media. No contact. Take time for yourself doing things you enjoy. Go out with friends, exercise, anything that makes you happy. This too shall pass. I’ve heard it takes half the amount of time you were with a person to get over that person. You will get there! 

StephenJ14's picture

Out of sight, out of mind I always say. Block him, delete pics on your phone, join bumble and find someone who appreciates you.

I'm out's picture

Thanks everyone, he's now unfollowed.  I feel a little bit free already, amongst a whole load of other feelings not so freeing haha. But I will stick to it.

One of my friends told me to get on bumble aswell....time to check that out! Smile