You are here

For anyone dealing with a Disney dad.....Mrs doubtfire!

I'm out's picture

It's funny how you can view things completely differently after being in certain situations. I watched Mrs doubtfire yesterday and one of my favourite films became nearly 2 hours of annoyance for me haha.

I used to love Robin william's character, but yesterday I sat watching it rolling my eyes at the Disney dad he is. 

If anyone's dealing with a Disney dad it might be worth giving it a watch again, it might make you feel better knowing that things could always be worse haha, he is very extreme. A film we all may have found endearing at one point, but after living it....not so much!

NoThanks's picture

Oh man! I love that movie and don’t want it to be ruined! The sad thing (or maybe it’s a good thing) is that after dealing with a Disneyland Dad, things you once found sweet, endearing, dedicated, etc. you can now identify as toxic. I remember, after breaking up with DL Dad, seeing a dating profile where a guy said “my daughter is my world” and thinking “RED FLAG!” Once upon a time I would’ve seen that as a sign that he’s a good dad. Now it’s just a warning signal. 

I'm out's picture

It is such a shame. Love what you said about the dating profile that's so true! I've looked at a couple of sites and I find it unbelievable how many men do have things like "my daughter is my world" written on their profiles. Or sometimes you look at their pictures and there's more pictures of their kids than there are of them! What are these men thinking haha. Definitely staying clear of those ones!

NoThanks's picture

Ugh, the guys with tons of pics of their kids on a dating website. Shamelessly plastering their kids on the internet for a “good guy” look. I don’t give those guys the time of day.  Can I get to know you first before you cram your kids down my throat?!

SMto2's picture

This reminds me of a guy I know who allowed his DD to write his dating profile, while he shared on FB for everyone to see what an awesome DD he had! It was all, "My Daddddeeee is the most awesome Dadddeeee in the world, etc. etc."lol. My first thought was, "RUN!!"

Cbarton12's picture

As a kid I loved his character and thought the wife was a b*tch.

Still enjoy the movie. But now as an adult do very much see how much he sucked as a parent. 

Rags's picture

After I first asked my bride out for dinner we spoke on the phone and she informed me that she had a kid. I already knew she had a kid.  I asked her out while she was having a conversation with one of her friends about how her kid's dad had once again lied to her about flying in to visit she and the kid and how he would cry about missing them and wanting to reconcile with her.

So I said "In that case how about dinner?".  She was struggling with how go to dinner with me and being comfortable leaving  her toddler with a neighbor.  I told her that we would bring him with us.  And that is how it worked from then on ... for the most part.

She was very open about her dedication to caring and providing for her son but also very clear that she needed to live her life for herself and not for him.  A very mature perspective for an 18yo.

Now, if her husband would only grow up.

Fortuneatly I have not had the experience of life with a Disney parent.