You are here

CPS/DHS State of Michigan

Miss.Out.Of.Line's picture

I am not sure how this process works because I have never had to deal with anything of the sort.
Monday there was a call placed to CPS on BM and BM's moms homes. I do not know who called. Once the DHS worker visited both homes, she contacted my DH and made an appointment to come and speak to him and his daughter. She was over the next day and explained to DH what had happened and what she had found and then she spoke to SD7. SD7 told her a few more things, which made the DHS worker tell DH that what she was told was worrisome and it changes what her initial course of action was going to be.
DH was told the other 2 homes had until Thursday to be cleaned and the CPS worker would go back and visit and she would also be doing random check in's at both of those homes.
What happens if they do not clean up the homes in the time they were given? Do they get more time? A warning? Something tells me that BM is not taking this as serious as she should. She has a superiority complex and thinks she can do no wrong.
Do DH and I have anything to worry about?
DH asked the DHS worker if there was anything in our home that was of any concern and she said no. Compared to the other two, you have nothing to worry about.
Everyone says to be careful of CPS, don't let them in. But they, BM and BM's mom, let her in and lied to her. DH corrected their lies and I wonder what will happen come tomorrow. We currently have SD7 until Sunday.
If their homes are not clean will the DHS worker have SD7 stay with DH?
Any advice or insight is appreciated.
Thank you! I am one nervous nelly, only because DH tries so hard to do things right, even though at times it seems the longer, harder way of doing things.

tryingmom's picture

DH and I went through this kind of thing a year and a half ago. SS11 was taken by ambulance to the hospital for an asthma attack. BM never showed up at the hospital. Long story short, BM was cited for medical negligence. CPS was called and DH and I were given temporary custody. BM's home was inspected and they had a long list of things that needed to be changed before SS could return into her custody. BM's house was covered in dog hair, BM and her BF/Fiancé smoked in the house and generally was not clean. After a few weeks SS was allowed to return. BM is still under pop up inspections with CPS, we've heard that she didn't pass one of them and had 2 days to clean it up or both SSs would be removed. It was cleaned. BM was also ordered to take parenting classes and she has to show continued improvement before CPS will close her case.

If they are looking at BM and GBM's homes and have told your DH that your home is fine. If BM is not taking it seriously, your SD may be given to DH temporarily until BM cleans up. Be prepared, it could happen. CPS gives these women a lot of chances to fix their problems.

Wishing you all the best. It was a stressful time for DH and I but SS was well taken care of in our home and was a different child when he went home to BM's.

Orange County Ca's picture

Fortunately all state governments have the attitude that a bad parent is better than no parent and they won't remove a child unless it's really threatening to them. We don't need the government sticking their noses in our bathrooms unless there is a clear reason.

So don't expect them to remove the child but if they do they'll ask the father or his parents as a second choice to take the kid in. At that point I'd sue the BM for full custody and day time only visitation.