You are here

Disregard for safety......

xpv5412's picture

I need advice - my 4 year old stepson informed me yesterday that his mommy's husband instructs him to lay down the back seat when he picks him up from pre-school because he doesn't have a car seat. To fully understand you must realize that his man is a State Trooper and is picking my stepson up and dropping him off to pre-school in his police car. The issue is he has told my husband and I things in that past - like this man leaves him in the car while he goes into the gas station. When my husband questions his ex - she ALWAYS says that ss must be making it up and that what he says is NOT true. Then when we get ss back he acts quite differently like he was scolded for telling us the truth!! We are concerned for his safety but aren't quite sure how to handle - any suggetions?????

TheSaneOne's picture

You have to have solid proof/evidence of this before anyone will give a damn - i mean photos, witness statements,etc. He could get in big trouble with his employer for putting the force at risk for being held liable if anything happened with that child - once the evidence is received I would probably go to the BM cert mail with this information and advise her that continuance of this behavior will warrant a change in the court order to show that the child is at risk and that she is aware. Yes, its just a threat and I doubt you get custody because of it - but you at least can show you tried to rememdy the situation, etc if an "extra ball" ever needs to be in your corner.

TheSaneOne's picture

If confronting the BM doesn't put a stop to this behavior that you feel is risky - then tell them that your next step to ensure that the child not be in the car witout a car seat or at all I would notify his sargeant of his behavior and let them know you would hold the Police Dept liable should he be injured while in the police car. Tell BM "If you can't ensure that ____ is safe then I will have the courts or other agencies make sure that __ is"

stronggirl's picture

I would leave work and go to the school and watch for him...or I would call the pre-school and have them watch. They have to turn that in if they see it. The would probably be able to see out the window. That is child abuse and is crap....

Elizabeth's picture

See if they will take a stand and refuse to release SS without seeing a car seat. Those little booster seats are suitable for a child his age and are very portable. There's no excuse.

MamaTracy's picture

You have to have solid proof. We have learned this the hard way. Now we record everything and take photos when needed. Don't leave anything to chance. He may be a good driver but the person hitting him won't be.Take care of the situation now before anything happens.

Sweatheart's picture

You have already tried confronting the BM, next step, call the school, explain the situation & have them make sure there's a car seat at pick up. Above all-be professional about it to whomever.

smurfy1smile's picture

Booster seats are cheap. Around here you can get one for like 20 bucks. They fit nicely in the trunk even with lots of other stuff in there. There is no excuse for this behavior.