You are here

Heart break

retiredusmcdad's picture

I know there is no hard or fast rule and everyone is different, my question is for those that have experienced the physical manifestation of pain in your chest from a broken heart how long did it take to go away?  I am having a hard time seeing the end of the tunnel here or when I will ever stop feeling this pain.   Just trying to get an idea as to what I may be looking at.   

justmakingthebest's picture

It is different for everyone. There will be a day when you wake up though... and it won't be as bad. Then it will almost go away... then it might come back... but then it will go again.

I think the key is to make yourself busy. Do things that give you joy. Thankfully we are approaching the time of year where it is great to be outside! Sunshine really is a great antidepressant! 

Also take a look at Meetup.com - there are so many groups for any interest! I always start there when I move to a new city. Those people have saved my sanity so many times! Everything from groups that meet up to dog walk, paddle board, movie watchers, foodies, etc! Whatever it takes to get you out and going and talking to new people. Getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things might really help!

MrsStepMom's picture

I think it is different for each circumstance. I know with my ex it took, probably about 5 years to REALLY truly move past our 10 year relationship. That doesn't mean I still was hurting 5 years later, but there were some painful scars still there. "They" say it takes half the time of the relationship to move past it. I think it's kind of a general idea of course and it depends. Many marriages have been so broken for so long that it is a lot easier to move forward sooner. I think the physical pain subsides over the months. You feel sick for a while, you start getting back to your own life, doing your own thing and it eases some, you meet people who spark and interest, even if it doesn't mean a relationship, and that gives you so relief. I just think it does get a bit easier each day....after the initial month or so of devastation.

retiredusmcdad's picture

Thank you both for taking the time to respond and assist!  You have helped give me some hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

MrsStepMom's picture

I also agree that it just, suddenly, ONE DAY, is easier. It just seems to suddenly click one day, you just wake up feeling a lot better. You may slip back but like the other poster said, focusing on yourself, doing things to make you happy, help. I found working out helped, A LOT. It really released any stress I had. When I run I just zone out. I don't think about anything but hearing my foot hitting the ground. It really saved me....and got me in great shape which was good for many reasons but also made my ex envious haha.

Myss.Tique D'Off's picture

First thing that you need to realise is that you need stop to comparing your situation to anyone else for a sense of normalcy in processing how you feel. You are a unique individual dealing with a set of circumstances own to you. Ten thousand people in the same situation may have ten thousand different reactions. 9999 may have the same reaction with you being the only exception: and that is ok too.

You need to be kind and patient with you because there is no magic formula to deal with how you feel. It is healthy to reach out to others for support, for understanding and direction, but in the end you will process how you feel on your own.  And it is an important process: go through it – all the pain you feel can eventually lead to a place of healing and learning  for you if  you if view it this way. Unfortunately it feels crap, it hurts (to the point of physical pain) and sometimes  you just cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel.

It seems like the sun will never shine again... When I felt my worst, felt like dying some days, I held on to the thought that “it is darkest just before the dawn”.  It is also the time when the stars shine brightest... and many an early morning, I went outside to look at the stars, pinpoints of light in the blackest sky and waited for the first rays of sunlight to break through... The sun is always there,  just sometimes because of where we are we can’t see it...

It doesn’t really matter how things end... There is loss and grief. It hurts. It is going to hurt. What matters is how you choose to deal with it. The time doesn't matter, the healing does.

TX2step's picture

It's called " broken heart syndrome ". It can manifest as chest pain and lead to life threatening arrhythmias. I likely think it's anxiety though. Either way get checked by your MD and make your health a priority. Take some time to care for yourself. 

Rags's picture

3-Days and it starts to improve. Just a little bit.  At least that is how it works for me.

I formulated Rags's 3 day rule long ago.  

It hurts the worst for about 3 days. Then each day after that it improves ever so slightly until eventually it is just an occasional unpleasant memory.  

One constant of the Rags 3 day rule is that there can be zero re-engagement until you are ready to deal with the X without the distraction of painful emotion.  Re-engagement resets the whole process including the pain so zero contact is the best course in my experience.

I learned this over the course of a series of relationships from my teens into my mid 20s culminating in the demise and recovery from my first marriage.  Had I gained full  clarity on the 3 day rule a few years earlier I would have avoided that entire waste of years on a cavern crotched adulterous skank whore.  She broke up with me about a year before we married. I pretty much ignored that and kept spending time with her until ultimately we  married. I would have better served myself by going through the 3 days of hellish pain then the sequence of declining hearth ache and let her go.

Being active is important to the 3 day and beyond process.  Engaging socially with people who know you and care about you is also a major part of progressing the process.

So, do not re-engage at all, let yourself grieve but do not wallow in it longer than the first three days, at least on a full time basis, seek out friends and colleagues, and embrace the new phase of your life.

The data shows that people who turn in their resignation at work then accept a counter offer usually are gone in less than a year.  Relationships are likely not significantly different.  People who reconcile with an X rarely stay with  that X for very long.

In my case, it was much harder going through the divorce than it was the first breakup.

Never again.

Take care of you.

retiredusmcdad's picture

Thank you so much to all took the time to provide such great insight and support.  So glad I found steptalk.