You are here

New baby on the way and worried about space

Sandy00's picture

Hi All, I am new to the site but I have dropped in from time to time for information and advice for quite a while and I found it very useful Smile Well a bit of background, I am married to a wonderful man with two stepsons who stay EOW, they are 15 and 19 years old. They live with their mother and stepfather who live only about 10 minutes away. I have no kids of my own yet but I am due to have our first early next year (we are over the moon!!)

My husband and I live in a two bedroom house and the boys stay in one of the bedrooms in bunk beds when they stay with us. The room is fairly small so there is just enough room for the bunk beds , chest of drawers and a wardrobe. Now here is my worry, what are we going to do about space when the baby arrives?? I've been losing sleep over this now and want to have this sorted before the baby comes, as it'll be the last thing I want to worry about afterwards.

The only suggestion I could think of is to take down the bunk beds (which are empty 90% of the time) and turn it into the babies room, maybe buy a sofa bed for when the kids stay, but my husband does not want to take down the bunk beds, which will leave very little room for the cot and everything else that goes with having a new baby. i can understand my hubby not wanting the kids to stay on a sofa bed but what are the alternatives, I am panicking over this and getting really upset. Plus I can't see two teenage boys wanting to share a room with a baby anyhow. help! Any advise is much appreciated:?

DaniellaR's picture

Sorry but I agree that your child needs some space. There is no reason for skids who are rarely there to have 2 bedrooms while your child has none. Now the first few months you probably should have baby in a portable crib in your room but eventually baby will need his/her own room. You DH needs to figure out a way to make the living arrangement more suitable for your child. If he refuses to do that, you need to do it for him. Let him know that your child will not be going without a room indefinitely while his chrildren who are there a handful of nights a month have an entire room dedicated to them. 3 bedroom places are easily found, he need to get his head out of the sand and start making a plan to find a more acceptable home. 

Disneyfan's picture

The man has a growing family that is about to outgrow the current home.   As a father, he has a responsibility to ensure that his home has enough space for all if his children.  Time for him to start the looking for a larger home.