You are here

Question ADHD meds and poor Appetite

Sarahlynn74's picture

SS13 is not only the Pickiest eater I've even seen but hardly eats. Most days he only eats two meals. Today he had three hot pockets and juice. At 13 he's one of the shortest kids in his class and supper skinny. His thighs are not much bigger than his calf's. Total chicken legs. 

BM says it's from his ADHD meds. Has anyone heard of this? SS has been on the ADHD meds for about 8 years. Both BM and DH both have mentioned this to SS Drs but they really don't have much to say except the meds can cause this

Crspyew's picture

But generally the dr is monitoring weight & height data and making adjustments.  My grandson is on adhd meds and while he is not picky his appetite can be low.  I know he drinks at least one protein shake a day to help.  He is tall and thin and has several food allergies.  Mom & dad stay on him to make sure he is eating healthy food.  He is 13 as well.

tog redux's picture

Yes, stimulant meds can cause a kid to lose appetite - the doctor should be keeping an eye on it, and his appetite should be better before he takes the meds or after they wear off. 

EveryoneLies's picture

My SS is also on ADHD meds. (A picky eater also) If he pauses the meds and get back on it after the pause, the meds might affect his appetite. After a week or so though his body seems to get used to the meds and low appetite will no longer be an issue. I do think the meds probably affect people differently though.

BethAnne's picture

Adderall is a known appetite supressant. It used to be prescribed as a weight loss medication. The key questions are probably is he in the normal range for his age and height.  

Maxwell09's picture

Yes my SS has been on Vyvanse for two years now and we always take him off of it during the Summer so that he can eat more and pick up his weight. During the school year he barely eats. Sometimes a small breakfast like a poptart or a donut but then nothing at lunch and then I almost always get him a snack for after school because I know his meds should be wearing off by then. He usually eats a full dinner. 

Most ADHD meds are also prescribed to those for Binge Eating Disorder so just do what yall can to get him to build up his weight even if it is protein drinks or lowering his dosage for summer if yall cant take him off of it completely.