You are here

Question regarding WHAT SS18 should or should not be paying for

Alexusmaine's picture

First I should say SS has always been great about saving his money. The problem is SS always wanted DH to pay for everything so SS could "save his money". SS will be 18 soon and has flat out refused to pay a dime of rent to us because "he is saving for his own place" something he can't afford right now. DH feels SS is being smart wanting to save his money but I feel SS is just being a lazy entitled brat. SS is working part time and plans on going to college "in a few years". My fear is SS will want to live with us intill he's got a huge nest egg saved up to buy a glamorous home. SS is spoiled and use to having a good life. No we are not rich by any means but SS is spoiled rotten.

I need to lay the "rules"  now with DH or SS will be living free with us till he's 30. So those of you with steps or bio kids once they turned 18 and wanted to continue to live with you what did they pay or not pay for? Did you allow them to live rent free and for how long? If they had a job did you allow them to "save" thier money or expect them to pay thier own food , car insurance....When they went to college did they have to pay thier own college bills? 

Rags's picture

18yo and out of HS means move out, pay rent, or be the live in servant.

"In a few years...."

Nope.

He turns 18 and graduates HS, whichever is the later.... and he has self support requirements.

Refusing to pay rent?  Re-key the locks and put his crap on the curb. He can pick it up before trash day or it goes to the dump.

For this type of kid a burning platform is necessary to get them to launch/jump towards self supporting adulthood. Light that platform, add fuel as necessary, and scorch his tail feathers until he leaps from the nest.

My Skid (SS-31) had options.  Apply for, get accepted and get the full meal deal mom and dad college package anywhere in the world he wanted to go. We were on him to graduate on time and get his applications in.  The more frustrated his mom and I got with him, the more withdrawn he became.  He finally sat us down and told us that he knew completing a bachelor's degree was important but that he was not ready to put in the focus and effort to be successful. So, it would be a waste of his time and our money for him to attend college/University.   14 years later, I am very proud that he was self aware and confident enough in our relationship to realize  and communicate that.  Though his mom and I were ready to string him up by his toenails back then. He drove us nucking futs for a bit more than a year.

Dash 1

Upon communication of that epiphany we gave him a choice. He could stay living at home if he was af ull time student, or worked full time, or be a part time student and work part time. Or he could either leave and figure it out for himself.

He was not motivated to get a job.  His plan was to be a sofa rodeo rider.

Nope.

We turned him into our live in beck and call chore boy.  His mom went CPA on him with an ever growing daily chore schedule.  It was at least 8hrs of work a day.  If he got it done by the time his mom and I got home from work, he could cook us all dinner then clean up after dinner then to it all again the next day. If he failed to get it completed, he was on the curb when we left for work the next day until we got home. Then he had to finish what he failed to complete the previous day and what was scheduled for his day on the curb or .. curb.  

He only tested us twice.  Once in the late summer when it was hot.  No food or water other than the garden hose.  He learned what we did as kids regarding garden hose hydration.

He tested us again in the late Fall. It was chilly, he was wrapped in his bed comforter on the back covered patio for that day.  He never tested us again.  4mos as our beck and call chore boy and he enlisted in the USAF on the delayed entry program.  He reported for basic 4mos after that.  He remained our live in beck and call chore boy for that 4mos as well.

Because he chose to go into the military instead of go to college on our dime, we bought him a new car as a combination HS graduation/Christmas/Enlistment gift. It was the last major help we could give him at that point.

He is approaching his 13th service anniversary in the USAF and intends to serve at least 7 more to qualify for retirement.

I get the Skid's desire to save his money. Good for him. However, spending your  marital money isntead of his own cannot be part of that goal once he is 18 and out of HS.  That trains him to depend on you and daddy instead of being a viable self supporting young adult.  If parents have the resources and are willing to fund University or trade school, great. But, there has to be standards of performance that are firmly enforced even when mom/dad/SPs are capable and willing to provide that support. The same applies for those who want to live at home and not go to school... or work.

IMHO of course.

AgedOut's picture

At 18, when done w/ HS but not in college?

He should be paying for his own vehicle, gas, insurance. He should be paying his own phone, entertainment apps, food. If he were in our home here, he'd be paying a token amount of rent/elect/water and he'd have a move out date. 

ndc's picture

My personal opinion is that until a child is 18 and has graduated from high school (unless child drops out or fails due to lack of effort, in which case just 18), the parents should provide food, housing and basic necessities without contribution from the child.  After that, I think there's a large spectrum of acceptable situations.

My parents are wealthy. They paid for college and all living expenses during college for those of my siblings who wished to attend.  None of us was ever charged rent for living with my parents. I moved out at 18, but DH, DD, skids and I moved in with them - rent free - for a few months while we were in between houses a couple years ago (we sold one before closing on another).  We're all still on their phone plan.  They bought each of us our first car (I'm still driving mine).  From an estate planning perspective, this makes sense for my parents. My siblings and I are very fortunate. My DH, OTOH, was pretty much on his own (financially) after HS graduation. He lived at home for a year before joining the Army, but paid his mother rent. He was working and paid for his own car, gas, insurance, phone and personal expenses. Most people I know are in between these situations.  I think what is appropriate depends on the personal circumstances of each family and each child. Steplife complicates it, of course. 

Rags's picture

Like your parents, mine are extremely comfortable and paid for college for my brother and me.  At least 4yrs for both of us.  My first two and the last two of the 11yrs of my undergrad career. They covered 5yrs for my brother but he did not drop a bomb like I did.  He is 6yrs younger than I am. We went to Engineering school together. When I told him I was going, he withdrew from his sophomore year in the first week of classes, drove 1000 miles and started banging on my door.  We partied together the end of the summer then packed up my house and moved 2 states west to start school at a University with a late starting Fall semester.  I certainly benefited from us going to school together as mom and dad were covering his housing, etc.  They all agreed my brother and I could live together. I had to cover my first year of tuition for Engineering school.  When I performed at honors levels, they agreed to pay for my last 2 years.

I paid for the middle 7yrs of my Undergrad.

After I bombed my grades my first two years I was cut off from them paying for my school.  I did live at home for 3yrs after my sophomore year of college rent free but all of my bills were on me.  They also bought my brother and me our first cars.

My DW's family background is similar to your DH's.  DW had SS when  she was 16 and her parents bougth a rotten travel trailer for her to live in for her Sr. year of HS. So they helped as much as they could.  She left for school out of state with SS on her him a couple of months after HS graduation.  That is where we met.

It was my last semester of 11yrs and  her first out of HS.

Thanks for sharing your story.  People and families are fascinating.  Though StepLife certainly does complicate it.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

I agree that every situation is different. It depends on the circumstances of the parents because some can comfortably provide more than others. It depends on the situation of the kid because it may be more cost and time effective to support them through higher education so they can be self-supporting sooner. My personal belief is that anyone over 18 and out of HS needs to be progressing full-time through higher education, working full-time, or doing both part-time while making adequate progress in their education or training. No reason for a young adult at the height of their physical and intellectual health to be loafing. It's a waste of their potential. 

ESMOD's picture

I was another one of those kids that did well in HS.. but floundered a bit with my college start.. and took a few years off and worked and was "mostly" self sufficient during my time off.. I got some assistance.. but my parents could well afford to help my brother and I.. and they helped me when I went back to school.. and ultimately got a bachelors and a masters degree.  

But they could well afford to do that.. my SD's have had to do things on their own because my SO did not have the means to send them off to school and discouraged them from getting loans... YSD is slowly working on her associates.. but doing well at her job... so it's not been a huge rush for her.. and the company pays all her classes.

I agree that making some progress.. actively working to become more adult.. education .. working.. etc.. not just playing video games and vaping.

Rags's picture

Blush

Just about verbatim to your experience.

I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up.  Failure to figure it out at 60.

Fool

Harry's picture

With at !8 yo...either in college, or working full time paying rent.  A good parent will put this money in a college account to be given back when kid seriously go to college.   Not some on line school in N Dakota    But if his living at BM's it's not much you can do except keep him at BM's 

ESMOD's picture

Here is a plan.. tell your SO that his son needs to pay rent.. and after marginal cost of increased utilities is taken out.. have him save the rest for his son... also give him a deadline.. 2 years.. 3.. whatever you and he can agree on.  How does he intend to earn his living?

The problem with not enforcing rent is his son will be tempted to spend more.. take it out of his hands.. dad can even say he will be returning a portion of it at the end.. but his son will be too comfortable otherwise.

NotMeAnymore's picture

Yep SSs will spend more. My SS19 - who has a nice care provided by BPs, just blew his entire savings of $5,000 in an old car that needs like $20k repairs... I had advised to charge rent and some utilities or something to teach money habits... my head got chewed off and now SO is concerned because the baby DID buy the car despite all atempts to desincourage... and is showing poor judgement HA!!!

Lillywy00's picture

If he's not paying rent then that savings needs to be paid to you/your husband to hold/invest for him. 

Its way too easy to blow through savings when you have no bills and using said savings to pay for cushy lifestyle then be looking crazy n broke at the end of the living situation with no savings who turns into a permanent live in freeloader

If I were you I'd get him used to paying household expenses by charging him a small portion of rent, utilities, etc. 

Survivingstephell's picture

You need to ask daddy how he invisions his son as an adult and have him describe it in vivid detail.  Then ask him how SS will get there with no plan? No push ?  Some kids need to be pushed. My oldest was like this.   The need to feel the pain and suffering of not being coddled and expectations put on them.  Either or stuff.  

Kaylee's picture

This little freeloader needs a short sharp reality check.

Yes he should be paying towards household expenses.... he's working, earning money. You say he wants to save up for his own place? Sounds as if he wants you and your husband to subsidise that, by living with you rent free till he's ready to purchase his own home..

In the meantime, you and your H (and you say you're not wealthy) need to be thinking of your own future - retirement etc. You can bet your bottom dollar SS won't subsidise you two when you're old!

Rags's picture

Behavior adapts to avoid unpleasantness. Unpleasant behavior is perpetrated because the one perpetrating it gets something out of it.

Take that away, and watch performance soar.