You are here

Staring Contest

Momof6WI's picture

Is this a skid thing or......what? I noticed this lately. SD11 and SS5 stare at me. Like I could literally be looking at my phone and they will just stare stare stare, I'll look up and they glance away like "oh I've been caught". 

Am I really on display in a zoo and no one told me? Lol. What is this? Tell me I am not alone. *biggrin*

advice.only2's picture

Spawn used to stare at me, I would usually ignore it or look at her and ask her if there was something she needed.  I never tried to understand the inner workings of Spawns brain...mostly because I didn't believe she had much of a thought process. 

Rags's picture

However, I do recall an extended period of sullen silence and single word answers.

A one or two sentence conversation was like pulling teeth.

Hey, maybe I should have tried actually pulling teeth?

Hmmmm?

Pardon

stepmomwhoisdone's picture

My ex SD 13 used to do this.  If we caught eyes she would stare me down.  Not always but sometimes.  Wouldn't look away either.  She would also know that it annoyed me that she told her father that she loved him 15 times a day and would make sure she caught my eyes when she did and smirk at me everytime.  Total asshole. 

Rags's picture

That kid would have repeatedly heard how pathetic she is from me in those situations.  

"Little girl, you are behaving like a toddler. Quit being so pathetic and knock off the staring and manipulative "I love my daddy" crap."

Lather, rinse, repeat.

RichLJ's picture

My younger stepson took to staring at me whenever we talked, until I turned my eyes away.   It was a tactic designed to try and dominate.  Apes use it (I'm serious).  I started to stare at him right back until he looked away, and continue to do this whever he tries this tactic.  He was a problem from the start but now that I've ceased caring what he thinks of me and refuse to be dominated by him, I feel much better.  That said, my wife and I have had extensive counselling and parents MUST be a team.  It's been a difficult haul, but after 32 years we mean to survive, although this SS has come very close to destroying us with his domineering and manipulative behavior.  Make sure you call Skids on this kind of behavior early and deal with the behavior if it's making you uncomfortable.  

Momof6WI's picture

I am making a point to say something. The bad thing is my BS16 has noticed. He's asked me before "why does sd11 always stare? It's creepy". So she does it to him too. I told ss5 last night that it is not polite to stare and that he needs to talk if he needs something, he needs to ask. He was like "ok". As for sd11- sometimes I do wonder what- if anything goes on in her head. She is incredibly lazy.  But not dumb. I'm going to make it a point to say something every time she stares! Thanks everyone Smile

Rags's picture

IMHO that is the only thing to do.