You are here

Told DH I need professional help

Auberry2's picture

So I broken down and told DH that I feel I am having an abnormally difficult time coping with our situation and SS6's behaviors and all and that I feel I need to see a counselor for it. I also told him I feel that he and I would benefit from counseling to work on our communication and co-parenting skills, since he wants us to be in this together.

His response? "I wish you would just tell me what you want, you never communicate clearly with me" as he gets up and walks into the kitchen. He literally said he doesn't understand what I am saying and I should just communicate with him better. Some body slap me silly. I was like, I just told you I think we all need proffesional help. And things devolved from there. I can only guess he isn't receptive to the idea and is trying to blow me off. Or he is really so dense he doesn't understand what I am saying.

I am off to hide under my blankets with wine and chocolate...

bellladonna's picture

A stepparent will understand what you said loud and clear. But a DH/disney dad will just think you are crazy. Honestly, these DH's are in denial and they think everyone else has a problem, and that they and their spawn are perfect. UGH! He understood what you said, he just doesn't want to accept it, so he would rather play dumb.

Auberry2's picture

I must agree with you. The conversation included a litany of excuses and ramblings about how it is normal for.me to blow SS6's behavior out of proportion because SS6 isn't my child, and so on. I still sitting here going, this conversation was about me having issues coping, and yet some how we are back to me just being a mean step mom. Le sigh.

Auberry2's picture

I aso went ahead and made an appointment with a counselor. Itold him he is more than welcome to come or stay home, but I need this and am doing it. It feels pretty good to make the appointment.