You are here

What is a reasonable punishment?

MrsMiserable's picture

My DH got a call today from SS11's PE teacher. She said he's a really good kid and she adores his personality BUT the past few days she's had problems with him disrupting the whole class. He talks non stop to his friends ands makes it hard for her to get PE class started and then runs around jumping on other kids backs messing around throughout the entire period. She asked that DH address the issue at home and have a talk with him. This kid never gets in trouble at school and is a straight A student. But he's in 6th grade and has gotten in with the more "rambunctious" boys this semester.DH told the teacher he would have a talk with him and to please let him know if this behavior continues.  My question is this... Is having a talk with him enough? Do you think we need to dish out any kind of punishment or consider this his first and final warning? 

Rags's picture

If I ever got in trouble at school, it was hell to pay when I got home.  Which ensured that behavior at school was stellar.

A talking too is likely insufficient as far as a consequence is concerned regarding disrupting class.

notarelative's picture

SS is in sixth grade. Sixth grade boys are notorious for dumb behavior. Teacher called home because her talk did not stop the behavior. So Dad's talk is not the first warning. The teacher calling is a result of the first warning did not work.

What SS needs to know is that this is the final warning. If there is a call about this again, again there will be consequences at home in addition to those imposed by the school.

Whether there are additional consequences this time is a DH decision. Depending on how SS reacts, a talk may be all that is necessary. 

nengooseus's picture

We find the kids' currency.  For the teens, their WiFi goes if their grades are down or they break a rule--including rules at school.  For the younger kiddo (10), he loses everything but books.  No TV, no Nintendo Switch, no nothing.  Length of punishment depends on how severe the issue was.  A call home from school would be several days (keeping in mind that SKs are only 4 days EOWE).  SD lost WiFI for 5 months last year for lying to DH.

Whatever you do, you have to be consistent and see it through.  And if there's a next time, the punishment probably gets worse...

justmakingthebest's picture

He is at the age where this isn't abnormal. He is also in 6th grade, older kids, bigger school... he is trying to make his place. I think for now a talk about the type of person he wants to be and the kinds of friends he wants is probably enough.

juststressedbeyondbelief's picture

I'm a teacher. An 8th grade Math teacher.

Please punish the child.

Please let it be the punishment you would give if he did something similar at home, and multiply it by 10.

Because if you don't he won't stop doing it when he doesn't see you.

He'll eventually encounter a teacher that will fail him out of spite for being a nightmare for 180 days.

And yes, teachers can fail kids out of spite. It might say in the rulebook that we can't, but are some serious loopholes, as they have 100% control of the gradebook, and get to decide how assignments are weighted, and they can change anything at anytime without the need to consult anyone. 

I haven't personally done it, but hell, I've thought about it.