You are here

Christmas Day problems

Faye's picture

After years of arguing and falling out, my SD21 has told her dad she is not coming for Christmas Day because of me. Two years ago she said the same so my partner left me and my family, who were staying with us, to be with her and his adult son. After a couple of days novelty had worn off and he wanted to come home.

Stupidly I let him come back, since then he has done the same thing again, now it appears to be happening all over again.

We are struggling with our relationship but it always gets a lot worse as soon as she is home from uni. She stays in his other house which he keeps for this reason, most of the time it stands empty. He won't sell as he says she will have nowhere to live during holidays, as her and I don't like each other she can't stay with us.

I have emailed her telling her to think of her Dad and how this puts him in a situation where he feels he has to choose her or me, she didnt reply. She knows this though and is what she wants. I have said to my partner she is invited to ours and if she chooses not to come then that's up to her.....but he won't let it go, blaming it all on me.

I've no idea what my partner is planning to do as we are now not even talking.

Any ideas, please.

Faye's picture

Thanks, got the wine already....shut I away in our bedroom. He's now in the spare room.

Faye's picture

I think you are right tuff cookie mom, I agree with everything you say, just wish he could see it too.

Faye's picture

I've decided to wait to see what he is going to do. If he goes to her that is it. I think he is hoping I will make it easy for him to go, Im doing nothing at the moment so it will have to be his choice.

We don't have Thanksgiving in England so she didn't come back. The rest of the year is not great but a little calmer when she is at uni. He seems to be indifferent to me as soon as she's home. As I say to him, she just has to click her fingers and he's there, she told me in an email he even asked her what did she want him to do about his relationship with me! Humiliating or what.

Hanny's picture

Seriously, he asked her that? Why stay with someone that let's his adult daughter make his relationship decisions?

Faye's picture

He's a very weak person, tries to please everyone, but ends up upsetting us all. He and I have discussed many issues over the last few years to which we try and agree a course of action, only for him to go behind my back to his daughter and tell her different, also telling hernot to tell me. I have asked him over and over not to agree on something with me then do this.

He makes promises to me then 'moves the goalposts as and when it suits him. This frustrates me so much.

At the moment he is actually enjoying us not talking and sleeping separately, as it gives him space to do his own thing, which is usually spent on his laptop, writing.

AVR1962's picture

Your husband needs to do what ManUp (member here) has done and draw some boundary lines for his daughter. She is making the demands, your husband is following her demands, you are feeling left out and rejected which is exactly what is happening. So what's the solution?? It's time your husband stops playing his daughter's demanding games and he makes it clear to his daughter that he will no longer allow these separate get togethers where you are left for the holidays. He can spend a couple hours at a restaurant with his daughter and catch up, exchange gifts. Sell the house. A hotel for a week would cost alot less than holding onto a house just so daughter has a place to stay.

harvey's picture

your dammed if he goes and damned if he does not, my sd has pulled the same stunt but it has backfired dh has said she cant come here unless she can be respectful and make an effort sounds great yeah, but now mil, sil, ss all blaming me that the precious one will be home alone for xmas. you cannot win, if i could find the strength i would go and live my life in peace without spawn of satan dictating what i can do. it is the worst place ever to be as a stepmother.

AVR1962's picture

Oh, do I ever know what you are saying. Inlaws expect us to treat our steps like they are our bio children and then the minute we do they are the ones asking questions and up in arms that we have not given preferred status to the very kids who have stabbed us in the back and wiped their feet on us. There is no winning and that is why I completely disengaged from my husband's family along with his two sons. I could have been Mother Theresa and done everything by the book and these people would have found fault in whatever I did, or didn't, do.

Faye's picture

I'm staying out of the house all weekend as I've chosen to cover others shifts. Rightly or wrongly I've asked my partner on a text , to respect me in that if his daughter won't visit the house when I'm there he's not to bring her around when I'm not, she wouldn't want me in her house when she was out. He's just ignored me, never understands anything from my point of view. She's always right whatever she says or does. Now am here at work anxious yet again. Really can't do this much more, I can feel I'm sinking lower day by day.

Faye's picture

Rh, I know you are right, thanks. Partly why I am working all weekend is too keep busy and focus on my job. It's hard though as I'm consumed with hate for her being able to come between us. But I also realise now its my partner too who is letting this happen.

CandyLou's picture

Faye, I'm curious about your comment, "I've decided to wait to see what he is going to do." It sounds like you are leaving this decision up to your DH, instead of deciding what YOU want to do. What is your ideal scenario in this situation? I have been through this exact situation and with the gracious support offered here, I realized I had to take back my power and stop believing this situation was out of my control. For me, that meant letting DH know I would no longer put up with this exclusion, meaning he had to stand up to his kids or I was leaving. One of the problems in this situation is that if your DH knows you will put up with it, he will continue to do it because it is easier to hurt you than to face dealing with his kids. But this year, I said no more and DH knew I meant it. I let him know I would no longer be in a relationship where I am being excluded. I quoted what manup wrote (thank you manup!) and said "you see, there are men out there who will in fact stand up to their kids and I choose not to be in this situation anymore" I also asked him what was the point of leaving his ex when he is allowing himself to be controlled by SD in the exact same way his ex controlled him for 20 years.

So a few days went by and I just withdrew into myself (with DH desperate to try and reconnect with me but not deal with the issue). I realized I had started the grieving process and I was genuinely prepared to leave this relationship. Finally DH said he did not want to lose me and confronted both his kids. I am now invited to Christmas. Is that the outcome I wanted? Not necessarily. It wasn't about what his kids did or didn't do, it was about my DH taking a stand once and for all AND continuing to do so in the future.

So things are not back to being great between us, it's a slow healing process. My heart has closed down due to the hurt and it will take some time before I will fully let him back in again.

I would be curious to know what you most want out of this situation.

My thoughts are with you...

Faye's picture

Hardly slept at all last night, I'm drained today at work.....what I want is be loved and happy. Or just be happy if that's not possible. My partner knows this and tells me he won't give me what I want as doesn't want me to tell him what to say, and that he's stubborn. So I wait, do nothing, and still nothing from him.

In my head I have decided to leave, I have already been looking for a place that might be a possibility to move to....but we have to sell first and that could take a while, this time of year. What I meant was what is he going to do about his daughter, stay at home with me on Xmas day and not see her, or leave and go and be with her? I don't want to 'rock the boat' before Xmas day as he will feel justified walking out if he feels I am pushing him. He is a weak character and finds making decisions very difficult, that's why I don't want to make this decision for him.

I know him, he will go along with whatever I decide as it takes the decision away from him and he can tell everyone it was my choice. He will never stand up to her as I know he feels guilty for being with me and her being alone, and is afraid she won't want to see him any longer.

He always tells me I am too needy and insecure. He's right about the I insecurites, this I do agree on. But as he refuses to sell his other house to (as he says) "keep my options open" and never tells me he loves me, never stands up to my SD I, at least, understand why I feel this way. Also a big part of why is due to my mum telling me as a child she never wanted a daughter, only boys. Also that she didn't like me but had to love me as I was her daughter. Then she had the son she craved and loved him to bits. She has do done lots of other hurtful things ( to numerous to mention) over the years too. She and my dad 'swApped' husbands/wives with another couple when I was 17. I lived alone and basically lost touch with them all over the years, as they had new lives.

I married young to a very controlling man, had four children and supported him while he built up his business, the. He left me for someone else. Very painful divorce followed and it was 18 months before I met my Partner, we didn't live together for three years after this, so I have taken things slowly.

I took a massive step this year to visit my mum, which went ok, she was pleased to see me, but never gets in touch with me of her own accord. I have now asked her and her husband to stay for a couple of days over Xmas and just want to put it all behind me. So will have to see how that goes.

I didn't see my Dad for 17 years but last year I choose to reconnect with him. It's ok, all very polite when we visit, but no meaniful conversations about anything important.

It must be hard for you candylou but at least you were prepared to do something. Which is what I need to do. He knows I have nowhere to go and feels he can just continue on this way without doing anything about anything. I know It is up to me, but I feel so alone, have lost a lot of confidence, and am physically worn out.

forgotten wife's picture

You need options, too, then. There are worse things than being "alone". You always have yourself. Time to care and protect your best friend...YOU!

Faye's picture

He packed up and left today. Moved in with his princess, and driven her to his family party. I despise her so much, I'm gutted,he choose her, blames me, and has gone.

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Say Good Riddance to the spineless jellyfish that he is. YOU DESERVE so much better! You are a wonderful caring person with a lot of love and patience to offer. Change the locks and work on helping yourself get through this. You will get over him - it will just take some time.

At least he finally made a decision! It is the right one as you would always be second fiddle and disrespected. Remember that whenever you start feeling weak and missing him.

Good luck!

sandye21's picture

Sorry to hear about your hurt and pain. I'll bet you will hear from him again when he realizes what he has jumped into. I agree - you deserve better. Don't allow him back in your life.

CandyLou's picture

Oh Faye, how awful for you, I'm so sorry!! This man has shown his true colours and please don't think for a moment this is any reflection on you. He will fully regret what he has done, mark my word.

DH left two years ago to be with his precious kids on Christmas (their request) and came back crying because he felt so bad and it wasn't the joy and fun he expected. He has worked really hard to make it up to me, and whilst I appreciate the effort, something inside of me shut down and I have never fully recovered from it.

Yes I am still with him, but the relationship is much different now. DH knows what he stands to lose and I believe I have grown as a person and am not the scared little girl he knew he could do this to.

For you, I'm not sure what will happen, but just know that this is his loss, and hopefully he will realise what a mistake he has made,

You deserve much better than this, and when you come to believe this for yourself, you will attract into your life exactly what you need and deserve.

steppedonstep's picture

Faye, I'm thinking of you and hope it helps you to know that there is a 'sisterhood' here rooting for you. It seems many of us have been knocked around by life, but these ladies have bounced back and you will, too. Hugs.

emotionaly beat up's picture

We are all there for you Faye, I hope you know that.

This is not the first time your husband has left you for his daughter. It is up to you to make it the last. You cannot continue in a live full of uncertaintity, disrespect and where another woman calls the shots. And, yes his daughter is the other woman and she is calling the shots.

Let him go let his suffer the consequences of his actions, and when he tries to come back again. Do not let him in. This man destroyed YOUR family. He cost you your daughters, and he showed your family absolutely no respect on Christmas Day. Worse still he made a fool of you on Christmas Day in front of them by his behaviour. Faye, he's not a man at all. He is a weak, little daughter's boy.

Please see your attorney and get this house and bills business sorted out. At least you will have some peace of mind in that area when you know where you stand legally.

The emotional peace will come in time. Probably quicker than you realise. Faye, he has done you a favour, he has done your children a favour, and in the long term the only person to suffer from this will be him. That, is not your problem. He has done far too much damage in your life. Let Karma sort him out, you will be far too busy with your new and happy life to bother with him.

We are all here for you Faye.

Faye's picture

Thank you to everyone for all your support, it really does help.

I actually asked him to leave before my family came to visit on Boxing Day as he said his plan was to enjoy the lunch with mine then go alone to see his daughter and son at his other house, then take his daughter out to his family for a party! I told him he can't have the best of both worlds......with me and mine....then leave me alone to visit his. He said it would be difficult with me there, and I said we should be united as a couple and go together. We just argued and I asked him to leave. He did but just sat in a lay by texting me ( didnt want to go to his other house too early or he would wake the princess!). Just kept blaming me, saying she had done nothing wrong. I couldn't take any more, so stopped replying.

Next I sent one last text to his daughter telling her that whatever daddy tells her, it is all her fault.....rightly or wrongly I sent it! Then I opened a bottle of wine, drank it all and fell asleep.

This morning I had a text to say he didn't go to the party, his daughter went alone, also he tells me now he thinks I was right that he shouldnt have made such a big deal about them not coming to us for Xmas day. I texted him back saying....too little, too late,....and have just been cleaning the house. I actually feel ok apart from at times not liking myself very much after remembering him telling his family have never liked me.

There are two sides and I have been very irritable with my partner for weeks. Just wish he would have told me he loved me and we would sort everything out. I wanted him to back me up where his daughter is concerned. But he never does.

No idea what I can do now as I work part time and cannot afford to pay for this house when he stops paying the bills. Least I won't have to go through a divorce, with not being married.

Faye's picture

Lol funny about the dog!....made me laugh, thanks

Not sure who's decision it was for him not to go to the party as not speaking to each other. I like to think it was his as it was bad to walk out and straight away take her out.