You are here

Feel Singled Out

orlane's picture

My 22 year-old SD has a boyfriend who calls me "Miss-(my first name)." He calls my husband "Mr. (our last name)." He calls our SD's mother "Mrs. (her last name)." He calls our SD's stepfather "Mr. (his last name)."

I feel singled out and disrespected. Am I being too sensitive?

jennaspace's picture

This was seen as more a term of respect when I lived in the South. I got in the habit so I still have my son say Miss first name to any adult.

jennaspace's picture

This was seen as more a term of respect when I lived in the South. I got in the habit so I still have my son say Miss/Mr first name to any adult.

Orange County Ca's picture

I'm in the South also. Southern California that is.

The landscaping company foreman who I dealt with almost daily at our homeowners association calls me "Mr. David". It recognizes our daily familiarity but still throws in a title of respect.

When he first used it I reacted like you but before saying anything I analyzed the relationship and found the title acceptable.

You didn't mention if the bio-mother is still using your husbands last name. If so then confusion can result in the boys conversations with your step and her father. I agree with the others as he probably refers to his girlfriends parents to "your old man/woman" and you may not know what he calls you. What I'm trying to say is he's pretty polite and shows a lot of respect most kids don't bother with today.

However I'm sure he will be glad to call you whatever you wish - just catch him alone and give him the word.

FunTimesFunTimes's picture

Nobody really knows how to properly address a SM. It's one of life's great mysteries.

Don't take it to personal. At least the man had enough sense to address you Smile