You are here

Lift Off!!!!

Wanderer's picture

Hey. Thanks everyone for your help. I posted on here a couple of times because having trouble getting SD motivated to get a job and move out  I came on here and someone suggested if she was as damaged as I said (and she is) that she might need some help with an apartment, etc. Well, in my stressed out state of mind - it's silly, I know - I couldn't come up with this idea on my own.  I found a cheap, no frills place, she got a part time job, we bought a few groceries and some essentials and gave her the boot.  And not letting her back in. The advice reminded me I am in a position to be helpful and give her the boost she needs to get out. But she's got to make the second month rent herself and will require her to either work this month OR find a new place that live that's not here  

We have had tears, manipulation, cajoling, and lies this weekend and I'm so exhausted, but we have an official launch!!! Lift off!!!!

One thing I was actually quite shocked about is how many people quickly jumped in to tell me my DH was the issue and I should leave. It's true that we haven't been on the same page and he is struggling with the daddy-guilt. But I don't think the first step should be a mean threat or even to jump ship. My DH needed my help to see the enabling. While we weren't on the same page entirely, we are now. As we moved through the process my SD kept messing up in her anxiety-mess and spilled the beans on a couple of big lies. And he began to see it was time. I did mention she's pushing 30 but there is a little  more back story thay I didn't go into. You know, privacy..... what if she's also googling step family and comes across this? Anyways ..... a kind reminder that step family life is super hard but maybe don't always suggest jumping ship as a first resort. I kinda like my DH ......even with his somewhat overly soft heart at times.  

Thanks again everyone!

Kes's picture

......but I would say about 0.00001% of DHs would have reacted as yours did when, to quote:   "My DH needed my help to see the enabling."  Most of us have tried to point this out to them only to be turned on with a lot of anger, defensiveness and denial.  

tog redux's picture

Wait - your last blog was on 2/25. She got a job and an apartment in 6 days? And you got DH to agree to it in that amount of time?

This might be the fastest cure for Failure to Launch ever.

Wanderer's picture

Hahah. Six days. I found the place. Let's say I am extremely motivated. And it was a totally lucky fluke that I got it. 

The job. We had been putting hard pressure on her for the last couple of months to get a job. Like not even giving her food. She has actually found a couple of part time jobs. My issue was that one she had purposely sabotaged. That was where the lying had come in. I had also found out she got interviews and not shown up for them. There was this one other job that she got with a never-arriving start date. I am not sure what the deal was on that but she has now begrudgingly worked a couple of days. With getting her her own place she now has to decide to show up for that job or not. And yeah DH and I have had many arguments about all this. 

Wanderer's picture

And a couple of the other kids came and had a talk with me. After hearing both sides. They realized my SD was telling them stories. Just so thankful. 

Wanderer's picture

And a couple of the other kids came and had a talk with me. After hearing both sides. They realized my SD was telling them stories. Just so thankful. 

CLove's picture

To see if I was one of the "jump shippers". Whew that wasnt my advice.

Glad that everything happened quickly for you.

Just cross fingers and toes this sticks.

piegirl's picture

So glad you have been able to find a resolution and so quickly!! Well done on your hard work in super speed time Smile

Momof2Girls's picture

Can I ask how you got her out of your house? I see that she is a full grown adult but I have a soon to be 20 yo SD who has no plans for the future, no friends either. I'm scared as hell she will never launch and get out of my house!!!