You are here

SS visit bearable--SHOCK!!!

Miss T's picture

Interim report on SS28's visit to our new home in a tropical paradise: So far it's shockingly bearable!

That's largely because I absolutely insisted that SS28 stay anywhere but in our home. Let me emphasize the importance of this to anyone with doubts or questions. The fam MUST stay elsewhere.This is YOUR HOME, not a lodging house. DH is silly about guests, and felt that he was betraying his beloved son by acquiescing to my shrewish and irrational demand. Although I think he's secretly relieved we have the house to ourselves at night and in the mornings, DH insists that true hospitality requires him to throw a cheap air mattress and a couple of surplus sheets on the floor for our guests, Most of whom have been thoroughly spoiled by the staff and amenities at the nice hotels they can well afford,

SS28's journey here was filled with the joy obtainable only to those spending 18 hours on planes and in airports. I would have greeted him with a huge hug and then handed him a paper bag containing a delicious sandwich, a perfect mango, and a bottle of cold beer before driving him to his BnB. But for DH, nothing would do but to feed his travel-weary son a heavy meal and then spend a few hours nursing a couple of whiskeys and bonding over a conversation that went far into the night. I'm amazed DH didn't have to load his spawn into a wheelbarrow and then push him uphill so he could dump him into bed at the BnB.  

SS has been on his best behavior during the couple of hours a day I see him. This is quite a change from the snottery of past visits. A couple of years ago he bought a house and moved his GF a thousand miles to join him there. She was OK when I first met her, but somewhere along the line she got the idea that it was open season on Miss T. One year SS brought her to our Thanksgiving dinner. Of course DH noticed nothing amiss, not when she was simpering and flirting with him and not when she was sneering at the feast I'd prepared.

Anyway, she dumped SS28 as I'd known she would. There is a demographic imbalance where they live--a surplus of affluent young men--and women there can afford to be picky. Without a doubt she took a look around and decided  that SS was not quite up to standard and she could do better for herself. No one has admitted to me that this is what happened, but I'd put money on it and I'm not a betting woman.

SS is mildly autistic and not the sort of physical specimen that appeals to most young women. Whether time has taken its toll or SS is stressed from losing his mate, he's gone downhill since I last saw him several months ago, His autism symptoms have worsened and he does not look like a vigorous young man in the prime of life. Although I will never trust him I actually feel a little sorry for him.

DH coaxed and charmed an agreement from me to cook 2 dinners while SS is here. (Yes of course I let him charm me into it. You have to encourage people by rewarding good behavior.) Last night I made one of those meals and for the first time ever SS conplimented the food I served him  and said that he's always loved eating what I cook. Gee, thanks, kid. You're about 15 years too late, and didja notice how fast I stopped preparing meals during your weekends at our house? But thanks anyway.

In sum, things are going surprisingly well, considering all the bad blood that's flowed between us over the years. I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it probably won't for the duration of this trip. Maybe when/if he manages to snag another female co-conspirator? I'd say "stay tuned" but it  probably will be awhile.

CajunMom's picture

In fact, I've told DH, if I ever get to some sort of half assed relationship with his kids - I've not seen/spoken to any of them in 4+ years - they will be welcome to visit our home but no overnights. They can stay in hotels just like DH must do when he visits them. Like you, I want my mornings and evenings alone with DH. 

As Harry said, when you burn your bridges, as DHs kids and your SS have done....that's your consequence. Glad the visit is tolerable!

JRI's picture

Sometimes we have to set the boundaries that our DHs can't.  Then they are secretly relieved.

Miss T's picture

... to perform this service for DH, especially in regard to "certain" persons and situations.

I don't always have to, though. Today DH, who is in his 60s, spent the morning with SS28, climbing uphill, crossing rocky inlets, and hiking along a sandy surf line in 95-degree heat. He's now completely crapped out in bed, and I didn't have to say a word or perform any sort of emotional labor to get him there.

Miss T's picture

Holy smokes! I finally got through!

DH and I are coming to the end of an SS visit where I insisted that the poor lost little lambkin find accommodations other than our house. To recap, SS and I have a long and nasty history, but for these few days we've both been well-behaved. No sneering (unseen by DH) or harsh words (unheard by DH), no kicking my dogs (he had to cop to that one) and I've fulfilled my promise to cook 2 meals while SS is here. (Last night's was exceptional, I have to say.) So it's going pretty well.

Now DH's brother wants to visit. DH's ideas about how to be hospitable differ sharply from mine. Bro is reasonably affluent and when he travels tends to stay at luxury accommodations with overwater bungalows and ready access to guides he pays to take him to the best fishing spots. Several years ago (before we moved to the tropics) DH and I had a huge kerfuffle about putting Bro up in our little house during a visit. (Expensive fishing excursions were involved.) In the end I decided that because Bro has been nothing but kind to me, fine, he could sleep on a leaky air mattress on the floor of our living room instead of in a comfy bed in a nice hotel if that made him and DH happy.

Fast forward a few years to today. We're living in a place where we're getting an endless stream of visitors (who don't care about the tropical paradise, they really just want to reconnect with us). Earlier we were outside on our deck, just the two of us, enjoying the gorgeous SS-free morning, which came about due to my near-hysterical insistence that SS stay in a BnB. DH takes a sip of his coffee and then says, "You know, I can see where you've been coming from all these years. I think I like this thing where visitors stay somewhere else. I'm just ... I'm trying to figure out how to tell Bro he has to stay in a BnB."

Dude, take a deep breath and then just open your mouth. The words will come tumbling out. I'll even let you crib from my script: "Let me help you find a BnB." What is there to figure out? But it's a problem, apparently, and solving it takes a lot of thought and strategy. Emails must be carefully timed and worded to dance around the issue until Bro finally gives up in frustration and says, "Never mind, I'll just find my own damn place."

Oy. As we often say around here, the problem is not what you think it is. It's a DH issue.