You are here

Off Topic: A sister who crosses the line ...

2Tired4Drama's picture

My never-married, prickly, eccentric sister has developed a history of being what I call an emotional vulture, to put it bluntly. She has always been eccentric and has had difficulty with maintaining a relationship with a man of her own and has not been in an actual relationship herself for more than 25 years. She is now in her 60's.

She has developed a habit of zoning in on other people's relationships and interfering. She usually starts it out as being "helpful" and offering assistance. She has had two female friends who have had serious illnesses (both of whom eventually died) where my sister has "helped" out the husbands and/or adult kids. She has even done this to our mother when she was alive - got involved with my mom's elderly boyfriend after my mother had a suffered a debilitating illness.

She claims there is nothing going with any of these men and families other than being "helpful" to to them all. Not to be spiteful, but that may or may not be true as she is not an attractive person either physically or personality-wise. She is very opinionated, bossy and nasty when she doesn't get her way or others don't take her advice as she is trying to "help" them. She is very good at conning people with her offers of "helpfullness" only to use that as an entry way to gather information about the people, insert herself into their families/relationships and begin her manipulative behavior.

My boyfriend is well aware of this background and shares my concerns about her behavior and thinks it's very strange and problematic. Unfortunately, my sister has now zoned in on my boyfriend's family. She has only met them all on one occasion when they were here visiting as they live a long distance away. After that one meeting, she then took the standard, "Come and visit us sometime" literally and actually did invite herself to a visit with them all as she was going on a trip in that general area - but it did require her to buy an extra plane ticket to make that leg of the journey. So it wasn't like she was driving by their town and stopped by. Neither my boyfriend or I were there at the time of her visit.

Of course, my boyfriend's family were welcoming and gracious (they are of another culture) and hosted her in their home for a few days. After that visit, she is now e-mailing them regularly, sending letters, photos, gifts for no reason, etc. Since they don't know her history and are from another culture, I think that they are a bit confused by all this attention from her but are reluctant to say anything about it other than how "nice" and "friendly" my sister is.

I think this is all very inappropriate but am unsure how to address this. Being the eccentric she is, I am absolutely certain if I directly talk about this to my sister she will undoubtedly get extremely defensive, nasty and it will probably result in an even greater effort on her part to insert herself into my boyfriend's family. She did this before when her deceased friend's adult daughter finally told her to butt out. My sister actually helped cause a rift between the widower of her friend and this daughter, because of the way she was inserting herself into his life after the woman (her friend!) died.

Anyway, not sure how to proceed on this one. It's a weird case for sure! I've suggested to my boyfriend that he try and bring up her background when talking with his family so they can at least be aware of her meddling ways and cool down their response to her enthusiasm to develop her own relationship with his family. Any suggestions or people with similar experiences out there?

20YearsAsAStep-Mom's picture

Wierd sister. She sounds lonely and doesn't have much of a life of her own. This is how she compensates and makes herself feel needed or wanted. Not really sure what to do in a case like this except ignore it. She is not going to change, that's for sure. People soon figure out whether they want her involved or not - nothing you can do about it. Good luck.

herewegoagain's picture

Wow...that's a tough one. Here is the deal. If your boyfriend's parents like you, I think they would be open to him telling them something such as "be careful, she's a bit off"...that might be enough for them to feel comfortable to not let her in their circle much more...if any. They might be polite to her because if they like you, they fear that if they are not, you might be angry at them.

On the other hand, if your boyfriend's parents do not like you or have a good relationship with you, this gets uglier. If he said anything to them about her being off, it may be that because she kisses people's behinds, does things for them, etc...they like HER more (crazy, but it happens) and then, this could all end up being a huge nightmare.

My dad has a cousin whom I met after I was in my 30s. She has a grown child, she was never married to the dad, and is a bit "loose". She met my husband's family once and she did EXACTLY what your sister has done. Unfortunately, because I did NOT get along with the in-laws, she took that opportunity to kiss their behind and turn them FURTHER against me...I don't understand her need to be friends with any of them, especially since she knows all the chaos they caused in my life, BEFORE she ever met them...but she is. The fact is that I believe that to this day, she tells my DHs sister and family anything we do, as she is buddies with my mother and of course, my mother can't imagine that she would tell my in-laws anything ON PURPOSE to hurt us...but we know she does. It's obvious. We have basically just stayed away from her now. We don't call her, she doesn't have our phone, etc...the only time we talk to her and we are polite is when we see her at my parent's house or someone else's house, but it's now only small talk and nothing else.

Good luck...there are some crazy people in this world.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Thanks for the insights, everyone!

Herewego, I get along very well with my boyfriend's family so that's not an issue but I can see how if I didn't, it might result in the kind of situation you describe.

Newwife, I understand that there are harmless but well-intended busybodies as I've met a few in my life. They do indeed fade away because after awhile, I think they either sense or understand that they have worn out their welcome. But I am afraid my sister isn't one of them, simply because of her track record for wanting to create drama, manipulate others and insert herself forcefully into relationships.

Sigh. It's sometimes hard enough dealing with my boyfriend's adult kids and his ex-wife's occasional antics, without now adding drama from my own damn sister. 20Years is right - she's just plain weird and certainly won't change.

2Tired4Drama's picture

Thanks for suggestions, everyone. I am going to ask my boyfriend to make sure he has this conversation with his folks - they really need to be made aware. I was comforted to hear that I'm not the only one who has had to deal with someone with this ridiculous behavior - this board is a good place for advice of all kinds. It seems that dealing with "crazy" BMs, etc. also gives us insight into other crazies in our lives! Smile