You are here

BM is planning for the future !!

HappilySelfish679's picture

I own a vacation home in another country. I bought this home a decade before i met DH - i pay for all upkeep, taxes etc, i am the only one on the deed, it is MINE and MINE alone. I am very attached to it. I have no bio kids.

While DH and I frequently visit, we have never taken SKIDS there since A ) I am disengaged and spending vacation time with SKIDS is very rare and B ) Skids have never shown too much interest in going there - until recently.

All of a sudden, SKIDS want to come along this summer ( ugh ) . I make it as unattractive as possible ( boring there, lots of mosquitoes, just moose and bears around etc ) and asked SS12 point blank - Are you SUUUURE you really want to go ?

SD12 looks to the floor and says " Yes , i really want to go, my mom said i will own it one day and then i can sell it " .

DH headed for the bathroom cracking up and i was, for once, speechless. LOL

Anybody else have a BM who plans her and her kids financial future based on your assets ? LOL. BTW, i am in my mid 40's. Will be a while till SS12 " can sell it " lol.

notasm3's picture

Not BM - but my SS30 loved to post on FB about "his dad's great condo" in a prime tourist area. I owned this place a decade before I even met DH. DH is not on the deed nor will he inherit it. It will be sold probably before I die.

If I die first DH will have a place to live and funds to live on - but nothing that he can bequeath to SS. I'd rather leave my money to a home for feral pigs than give one penny to SS or his spawn.

LMAO @ feral pigs lol, i feel the same way. I will burn it down before SS12 and his mother set foot in it.

As much as i hate being a SM, the entertainment value is great sometimes.

hereiam's picture

The entertainment value gets better when they are no longer minors; no more CS, you don't have to deal with BM anymore, but you still get to hear about all of the idiotic shenanigans. I just sit back in my SD free home and shake my head. And think, 'What a bunch of dumb asses.'

WalkOnBy's picture

I WOULD say that and have said something similar to the skids when Medusa told them that I would buy them cars since I bought one for my kids....

I told them "you need to tell you mom that I bought a car for my kid because she is MY KID. You three are NOT my kids, so why on earth would I buy you a car? Seems to me that's YOUR MOM'S job"

Of course, that was long ago when I was not disengaged!!

hereiam's picture

Pretty sure BM and SD both know that anything of mine, will never be either one of theirs.

CatchyUserName's picture

That BM is cracked, although I'm not surprised. Why are they always SO greedy!? You can check the laws in your state but I would say, regardless of the laws, get a will done. My DH and I are working on it right now so there is no question about who gets what. DH would probably get it if you die and then if he dies, it may go to the skids as part of his estate but I'm not sure. Again, a will makes everything clear.

As far as BM telling skids stupid stuff...it's normal, just ignore it. I'm sure my skid's BM is filling their heads with all sorts of stuff, including several outright lies that I've caught her in and I just laugh. She can tell skids whatever she wants. Since I don't care what they think of me, I just ignore it.

robin333's picture

Good question Sueu, and I have a potential solution. Donate the house to STALK to have quarterly sanity weekend getaways. Smile

notasm3's picture

Several ways.
Put it in a trust.
Donate it to a charity with provision that you get to live in it during your lifetime.

Of course all state laws are different, but a good estate attorney can handle this. Even in a community property state property owned prior to the marriage is solely owned unless funds were co-mingled.

notasm3's picture

Sorry - I misunderstood your comment and read it as you thought a spouse had to inherit.

In the community property states non-community assets can be left to anyone. Of course I have no clue what happens in other countries.

Until fairly recently in Louisiana (Napoleonic code not English common law) one could not disinherit a child (even adult). That got changed when addiction issues escalated and some of those addicts literally drugged themselves to death after inheriting boat loads of money.

Amcc13's picture

Wow ... That's insane.
First you need a will done. one for if you die first and one for if both you and husband pass away simultaneously - such as car accident etc . Do you have sister or brother who is next of kin/medical power of attorney as well- otherwise the plug will get pulled on you ASAP
Second never bring those kids to ur house. If they think they will own it they will have very little respect for it

Off course I have a will .
Off course I will take skids to my vacation home NOW after what was said . SS 12 will get his own Nikon camera so he can take TONS of pictures and videos of the house , inside and out , and BM can watch and dream on.
At the correct time the dream will end because this house, and everything in it , will be left to my own brothers children and this I will communicate accordingly . At the time of my choosing Smile

WTF...REALLY's picture

Awesome. I bet you'd love to be a fly on the wall in BM's house when she hears the news. Lol

TwoOfUs's picture

PS. I'm with you. My DH is the beneficiary on my life insurance policy and we have a joint household account that we both pay into for household bills which would be his...don't ever keep a large balance in there. And our house and cars are jointly owned. But my IRA, 503(b), and my personal account...my sisters are the beneficiaries on all of those things. Don't want to die in a wreck and have my assets go to skids by default. They've already gotten enough of my money. Not that there's a ton...but it's the principle.

Delphi's picture

OMG... :jawdrop: I'd be in shock. Thankfully BM is pretty easy to deal with and recently married someone who makes more money than us...so I don't have to worry about her trying to confiscate my assets... Good grief! LOL!

Disneyfan's picture

BM2 was planning for her kids to attend the same college my son attended. (A private, out of state HBCU) She told exDF that since I could afford to pay that much for my son to go there (yup the nutter looked online to find the cost),then I should be willing to help him (not him AND her, just him :sick: )pay for their girls to go there as well.

Not commingled . Bought this house in 2004. Married DH in 2012. This house is mine alone .

WTF...REALLY's picture

I have two parcels of land I own out right. My two kids will be inheriting it. Not my hubby or my SD.