You are here

Bed Wetter Blues

lighthousegal's picture

My SS will be 9 years old in Dec. and is still wetting the bed and sometimes even wetting himself while outside playing. It is not a seldom thing and doesn't seem to be an accidental thing. I think he is just relying on the pullups at night and just does not want to stop playing long enough to go to the bathroom. My husband says that he will out grow it and doesn't do much to help with this.
I keep saying that if we limit the amount of drinks that he has in the evenings, especially the carbonated drinks, that this would help. I also try to get him to go to the bathroom before he goes to bed and the very first thing when he wakes up in the morning. But without help from his Dad, I don't think he is ever going to stop wetting himself.
Please, does anyone have any idea what we can do to stop this?
I am so tired of having to strip his bed every night that he is here and so tired of hearing his BM make excuses for him. She was a bedwetter too and doesn't help with this either. She doesn't want it mentioned in front of him for fear that it will embarrass him.
Please, HELP!!!!

lovin-life's picture

Bedwetting. My 11 yr old is finally done with that. Exact same issues, nightime...soaking of the bed...cut out evening drinks, peed a million times in the evenings before bed, Tried bedwetting alarms...tried waking him up at midnight, you name it. Went to a urologist....who told us simply 'he will grow out of it'. I never thought it would end. BUT IT'S BEEN ABOUT 8 MONTHS NOW!!!!!!!! He says he is 'so done with that'....

Daytime, he will still 'leak' while busy playing and thinking he can wait just a little longer....but that is also becoming rare...

Hang in there.....it will end someday!!!! Trust me... Smile

PS

My son is an incredibly DEEP sleeper.....and sometimes in the past when woken up to pee... he will walk & talk & get up and go to the bathroom (after much direction)..but no-one is really home....its like he is sleep walking...and he will have no recollection of what he did or said or remember us there...the next morning.... Smile

Bobbi's picture

My BF’s daughter wet the bed until she was almost 13. She stopped right before she started getting TOM.

MY BF had her checked by a doctor and she was physically fine. It didn’t matter what she did (not drinking before bed, etc.), she still wet the bed. Stopping just took time.

lovin-life's picture

It is frustrating lighthousegal. When my son was younger we used "good nights" but I think that made it worse in a way...because he felt dry all night. It wasn't teaching his body-brain connection anything about waking up to go pee...it just kept him nice & dry and comfortable all night...so we stopped with those for a while...becasue of that and as he got older..he was totally humiliated to have to wear "diapers" as he called them.

SO I didn't make him. They beat themselves up and are so humiliated about this problem as it is. He was devestated at the idea of going back to "Diapers" after we tried without for a while.

He slept in bunk beds...which are a nightmare to strip and make-up!!!!
So I feel your frustration....

All you can do really is wait it out!!!! (you can try the alarm..we would hear it downstairs..and he would sleep through it..so it didn't work for us)

Just, make sure they know its not their fault....
Cover the mattress in plastic covers....
Keep the bedding simple to wash and throw back on the bed...

Be patient....
They don't want to have this problem either.... Smile

...I'm glad its finally over....

Anonymous's picture

Check with your pediatrician. There is a drug taken a few hours before bedtime which prevents the child from going into a very deep sleep. My 6 year old daughter was able to wake up and make it to the bathroom (the brain-body connenction worked). She was on the medicine for 12 weeks and has not had an accident since (2 years). My daughter was able to go to sleep at her regular time and was well rested the next day.