You are here

I have to leave for a family discussion

Coldandloved's picture

So I've been married since Sept. we jumped into it a bit on the quick side but we're both divorcees and we both knew what we wanted. Anyways, there is a LOT of trouble with the EX she's a selfish dictator who is walking all over my husband and their two teenages daughters to the point the girls are falling apart. Thing is, they are having a family discussion to try to smooth it out. I'm glad it happening, and I hope his backbone holds up. What's hurting me is I've been asked to leave my own home for this discussion to take place. I agreed to, because I didn't want to cause any further stress on my husband or the girls. I know they feel safer here than their Mom's house... but I feel absolutely horrible that I've been asked to leave my home entirely for this..... not sure if it's me being wrong emotionally or if it's normal...... My own parents have said that it indicates that he's likely going to cave into psycho's demands as he's bending over backwards by kicking me out of my own home for part of the night to accomodate her already. Any thoughts? For what it's worth my home has three stories to it, we could easily stay an entire floor apart.

Coldandloved's picture

When we talked about it I said he should have it in our home. She has her bf living in with her and I can only imagine what she's said is going on and twisted around to make my ex sound horrible. So... ina sense I agreed to host this, I guess I just didn't interpret my offer to host as an offer to leave my home. My husband kept this home in his divorce from her, it was at one time her home. Anyways when they called about having the discussion she dictated she wanted it here (great... that's what we wanted, but needn't let on or she'll change plans) and then said... and your wife wont' be in the home right?and he said "no she already offered to leave"....

PS I'm still kind of new.. I don't get all the acronyms?

Coldandloved's picture

I haven't dared discuss, he's so stressed. DH hates confrontation and all the ex does is cry.. to the point that no one cares anymore it's an overused pity party. I suggested I leave the room, he suggested I just leave after she required it. I guess I just don't think it's fair for her to set the terms of everything to the point that I'm out of my own home. DH spends lots of time stress that it's MY/OUR home, and then this. I can't help but feel like I'm not part of the family and the house isn't mine. This was BM's house with DH, he kept it in the divorce. I've made lots of changes, painting cleaning furniture..... but somehow I never quite feel like this is my family or my home.

Coldandloved's picture

Yeah that's the hardest part. I've only been here since basically early October... and just the way I was raised unless I pay for something in full it isn't mine. This whole playing housewife thing is great in some senses, but my sense of ownership has suffered by not contributing monetarily. I've slowly been gaining some of that sense of ownership by massive project like finishing the basement, painting over hideous wallpaper and etc, but this is pushing me back a lot I guess. It's not my house if I'm getting the boot at BM's request. I hate to throw a fit that may stress him out more. but I truly don't know how long getting over this will take me.

Kb3Hooah's picture

There is absolutely no way I would leave my home. This is telling BM that she still has control over your Ex, and that she can even push you out of the picture if she wants.

Granted I think this is a discussion that should be between DH and BM...but if they choose to have it in your home, then they have to get over the fact that YOU will be IN it. If they don't like it...go elsewhere.

onehappygirl's picture

I too live in the house that Truelight and the Wookie bought together. It sucks, yeah, but it's mine now! Truelight and I have put a lot of work into making it OURS.

If The Wookie EVER demanded that I couldn't stay in my own home (I don't care if it was once hers), I would go a little crazy. Instead of keeping out the way, I would be in the room with Truelight listening to the discussion. I am responsible for those kids 50 percent of the time, you better believe I have some say about what goes on in my house.

Love me or hate me, I'm still gonna shine!!!

Sus's picture

Since the house is 3 stories ( next time grab a book and go to another level), Since you already agreed, today: I would TELL DH I would leave for a certain period of time say "three hours" that should be plenty of time to have a family conference. I sure would NOT allow her to "SET THE TERMS"

I would wait until she arrives ( before you leave) and >> "speak to her", and kindly say :

I realize you both need to discuss the childen, and some issues, that don't concern me at the present time. I am going to catch up on errands and shopping etc. While your here..
I will be gone approximately, 3 hours. I am hoping you can settle/resolve the issues at hand in that time frame.
This is our home now, and I will not be put out of my home, each and every time you need to have a family conference. But since I agreed this time.. I will do it this "one time". I hope you understand( use her name) where I'm coming from, because you would feel the exact same way , if you were in my position. (smile)
So out of respect to my husband,and your family, I will leave for this short period of time, because I have errand to run anyway. I will be returing about( tell them the time) you plan on coming back.
And also mention there's coffee or drinks, that "YOU left for them"... and to help themseves to what they would like refreshment wise.

You want be kind and make the teens feel welcomed. NOT Particularly her. LOL But for the children. You should try to be nice to their mother, even if you HATE HER. She is their Mother & always will be. remain Classy, above her level.... don't allow her to get you upset. IF she see's that she upsets you, she wins.(if thats her game) Just stay calm, smile..like NOTHING Bothers you. That will really get her Goat !! More then she seeing you getting upset..Once you do ( get upset)..she will KNOW how to Push your buttons
NEVER show her your upset..That is more likely to get her upset LOL
believe me it works..

Since you're a VERY NEW WIFE, I probably would stay out of the MIX right now. WHY are the teenagers falling apart?

I could also see him keeping the house so the Teens have the home they lived in most of their lives.(if thats the case) But once their of age. I probably would "SELL" and start Fresh!!
But depends on a lot of major things.. especially the DEED and Mortgage LOAN!! Read below...I am serious about this. I recently had a friend this happened too.
She lived with a Man for 8 years, he bought a House only in his name. Then they married. He never changed the deed or Loan. They were married 5 years. He unexpectedly died 3 yrs ago. Guess what?? His adult kids came with Lawyers and TOOK the house.. because he failed to add her to the "deed" and will and did NOT refinance the loan, adding her to the loan. The (Kids) were intitled too daddy's house. Which put Dorothy OUT on the street ( homeless now) and she fought it, costing her thousands she really didn't have & still lost , since the house was DADDYS before he Married Dorothy!!

Also when my husband died I refinanced to get him off the LOAN and deed. WHY you may ask?? Because IF (say) I remarried and we lived there & I died.. My daughters would be entitled to daddys HALF of the house.50% even though he is dead. By refinancing I am SOLE Owner and "IF" and when I remarry. This house 50% or more, will go directly to My children. Unless I state it is shared by them all, in a Will or trust ,OR ADD my NEW husband to the DEED.(quick claim him on ) I wouldn't want the man I loved thrown on the street.
As for it being your home? Is your named added to the Deed? ( use a quick claim deed, 15.00 any office supply and file it with the court)
Did he refinance it to get the EXWife OFF the loan and deed. Because if he hasn't refinanced it she is STILL on the Original LOAN, that is the ONLY way someone is REMOVED is to REFINANCE IT ( do it now with obama's deal if it hasn't been done) ( unless of course he bought it buy himself before he married her.)Then in most states it would go to his kids.
Sounds like "THEY" bought the house originally, as husband & wife? and God forbid "IF" he died, Guess what, She could fight you an win half that house. Putting YOU OUT on the street. THESE ARE VERY VERY IMPORTANT TO DO !!!
You can make lots of changes. Like you've done. The furniture would "GO" unless they're family pieces,(meaning from his parents grands etc)that would be treasured.
I would sell the furniture and replace it, even IF I had to BUY nice barely used off craigslist, just so IT'S YOURS. You don't want "ANYTHING" that would remind you of HER (EXWIFE)as your furniture, OR HER HOUSE.
"New marriages , should start NEW" ( my opinion )
Especially the Master bedroom, you don't want to Make love on the same bed they did, when they were married...I sure wouldn't!!!
I would think she took MOST furniture when she moved out.( as many wives do and husbands allow it so their children aren't without, which is fine ) The kids should have what was their parents things.

I never had a problem moving into what was deemed another persons house. But, the majority of people do. I redecorated when I lived in Califonia, and also changed the Living room ( new couch, craigslist ) & dining room,(New table set craigslist).WE BOTH paid HALF. And we bought a BRAND New bedroom set.
IF you could, the best would be to SELL when the market gets better & BUY a new Home "TOGETHER" then it would be YOUR HOME as a couple. Unless you truly love the house.
That's one good thing about Obama's refinance or buying program. It's a very good deal. But it's only good until July 2010, I believe. Also Obama 's newest deal is ALLOWING people to BUY another home now. 2nd home/ That would even be better. Buy a NEW Home & Lease the OLD one.

good Luck ! Sus

belleboudeuse's picture

"and your wife wont' be in the home right?and he said "no she already offered to leave"...."

Hm.

This is a problem. If you did not offer to leave, he's lying to her to appease her and sacrificing you.

This is kind of a pick your battles thing. I say, let this meeting happen. Then AFTERWARD, a day or two or three later, when you're calm, tell your H you need to have a talk with him.

During the talk, you'll need to tell him how you feel and set some ground rules for the future.

- You should not be asked to leave your home. If you aren't going to participate in the meeting, being on another floor of the house is fine. But it's YOUR home, not hers.

- He should not be deciding what you are going to do in your home without consulting you. Tell him that won't be happening again.

- Regarding BM, you should talk to him about the crying -- because that's just manipulation. She will not stop manipulating until it doesn't work for her anymore. It will continue to work for her until your DH stops letting it.

BB

You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. - 2BLoved

Abalyn's picture

I'm going to take an unpopular stance here, but here goes.

Big deal. You aren't going to be a part of the conversation anyway, why would you even want to be there? BM will already feel like she's on your turf, so to speak. To have you lurking in other parts of the house will make her feel even more uncomfortable and probably hinder an already difficult discussion.

Try to put yourself in her shoes (and your DH's shoes). Everytime you flush the toilet, get something to drink, walk around, she'll hear/see you. She doesn't want that distraction. If she's anything like our BM, she'll probably assume you're listening in on the whole thing. Plus, it'll drive you crazy wanting to know what's going on.

If I were you, I'd thank my lucky stars I was given a day off of the drama, leave early, go shopping, have a spa day, sip some cocktails with friends, anything to not have to even see her or hear her voice.

Coldandloved's picture

Oh Abalyn, if only it were that easy. Again. I don't know anybody here... I used to live downtown in a major city, and work was most of my life until I met DH. It wasn't until I miscarried in November that I quit my job and became a housewife. (My job was a taxing one... dealing with extremely irate people, needless to say post miscarriage I was no longer in the mood.) Financially the spa day is certainly out of the picture... shopping in general is out of the picture... we're on a pretty tight budget we have a daughter leaving for college in the spring and a child on the way. With me not working 60+ hours a week we try to keep the frivilous speding to a very bare minimum. My biggest problem is, BM never feels like she's on my turf. We had a dinner party once, because sd17 lived with us full time and sd15 wasliving with BM full time, we invited Sd15... so BM tagged along. She decided to get bowls for people etc etc. I think I've rearranged the house entirely just so it doesn't happen again. She even sasses DH in hopes he will grovel and try to kiss butt to make her feel better (it doesn't happen anymore) but in her mind I guess she just loved him so little in marriage... that nothing has changed in divorce. Tonight is a biggie BM has serious mental issues. To be honest I was say very very close to skitzo. She's gotten realy ugly that both girls have chosen to live with us... they can't handle the crazy. So she's made these crazy dinner schedules that say they eat dinner at her place like 5 nights a week etc etc and turns on the waterworks in front of the girls if they protest or say something that isn't in her favor. It's so bad that the girls are breaking down because they don't know their schedules...Their mom is peeved at them and crying nonstop and they're getting tired of making efforts to even connect with their mom only the feel her wrath when they walk in. It does effect me in a lot of senses. I'm not only the one planning meals, and driving to and from practices etc. I'm also the one they confide in a lot of the time, and the one who educates them on female issues their mom won't touch. DH has had to do much of this himself until I got here... explaining the divorce (BM's idea but she couldn't tell her children herself) explaing birds, bees, tampons, cooking, cleaning, you name it. BM is too self centered to be anything but a waste of air sometimes.

Abalyn's picture

Let me start by saying that I do get where you're coming from. I have been there, trust me!! But I'd like to do with you, what my amazing, god-send, therapist does with me. She makes me look deeper. I truly mean this to be helpful, even though it sounds like I'm just being a bitch. Wink

So you can't go shopping, you CAN go somewhere. Library, bookstore, shopping (without buying anything), weekly grocercy shopping (that you'd be buying anyway). The point is that you don't want to leave your house, not because you have no where else to go, but for some other reason.

BM is a nut. Fair enough (so is the BM in my situation). What do you hope to accomplish by staying? You won't be privy to the conversation anyway. Her tears will flow, her self-victimization will continue, and so on. You staying or leaving will not effect this, will it?

I guess what I'm asking is why do you want to stay? Is it to stake your claim on your home, so to speak? Are you hurt that DH just assumed you'd be leaving while you assumed you'd be staying? Is it because BM assumed you'd be leaving? Is it because DH made a decision that effects you without conlusting with you first? Is it because you hope to catch part of the conversation and immerse yourself, just a little bit, in the drama? I'll admit that last one was me a few years ago. I'm not trying to be accusatory, it's human nature for some of us to want to "be in on it".

I just think if you look at it a bit deeper, you will find the root of the problem. Because I doubt the problem is really "I just don't wanna" without being able to provide a more concrete reason. If you can find the real, true reason that this bothers you, you will be able to address your husband better when you discuss it with him.

belleboudeuse's picture

You know, Abalyn, I see your point. This particular meeting isn't that big a deal. No big deal if she leaves during it.

However; this is part of a larger issue. And that is, this woman's ability to feel comfortable in her own house.

The more Coldandloved allows BM to dictate whether she can or can't be there, and the more BM feels free to rummage around in cupboards like the place is still hers, the harder it will be to stop it.

Sometimes you have to draw some boundary lines. This nonsense has to stop. And it won't until BM stops feeling she can dictate what happens in that house, and the partner stops allowing her to do that.

This is why I suggested that Coldandloved let this meeting happen with her out of the house, but THEN afterwards lay some ground rules going forward.

Yes, I agree that looking deeper is important. The "deeper issue", I think, is that a remarriage will not work unless the two partners feel respected and secure. I agree, there's always an immature reaction: I don't wanna!!! But that doesn't change the fact that there's also a deeper issue: Allowing myself to be a doormat in my own home will take its toll on my mental health, and this relationship, and could result in ultimately breaking up our family.

BB

You are not second best, you are not second class. Do not ever let anyone make you feel that way. - 2BLoved

Abalyn's picture

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't even live in the house that DH shared with BM. Immature or not, I wanted space that was mine, without her influence. I just want her to recognize why this bothers her so much, so that when she talks to DH (and I think she should) she can be clear about what she needs and why. And it will help her define her boundaries better. The better defined her boundaries are, the more able she and DH will be to enforce them.

I had the same reaction when I had a church function that BM wanted to attend. Church is the only place I have that doesn't not have BM's influence (we have a lot of mutual friends). I need that space, that group of people, for ME. I needed someplace that I could interact that didn't involve her. You know what I mean?

belleboudeuse's picture

Totally. That's the issue with being a step -- having your OWN space and your own life that doesn't have to have BM in it all. the. time.

BB

epgr's picture

I wouldnt mind leaving.. but I would tell them both that if they do not want to include me on ALL aspects then dont include me at all..
I did that a few times and they both knew they needed me to do things.. babysit, buy things, take them place, do thier laundry, help with homework.. etc..
its not a situation where you are good enough when she wants or needs you to do something for her kids.. you are either good enough all the time or you are not.

If you truely dont want to leave, tell him they can go to a restuarant er something but you are NOT leaving your own home so she can come over.. even though he dont like confrontation you are gonna have to do it sooner or later.. she knows how he is, she knows he will not likely say no or put up a fight and she knows she will get her way.. if you give in to him giving into her it will become a vicious circle..

Sus's picture

Cold~

I'm glad you mentioned the serious mental issues, that gives us a broader picture, as to what is going on, Also that you mentioned the daughters ages & that they live with you,and dad. That changes things somewhat.

I am glad the girls live with you and dad and have a more stable life with you. Mental issues can be very serious , BUT, you also don't want EXWife to feel her children were taken from her due to her medical issues.
I'm sure she is hurting very deeply. And it could feel magnified by her illnesses.
As a mother, when your ill, if someone took your children, you know exactly how you would feel. I know I would be devastated. The crying I'm sure has to do with her mental disorders. She might NOT be doing this deliberetly as many think.
If the girls chose to live with you that's fine. They are at the ages where they can make those decissions, Thank God.
I also want to praise you, for being so kind and loving to the the daughters. Their very lucky they have a woman like you to step in and take on the responsibilities of their care and health.
You're doing the right things. Maybe you can share the dinners, 4 nights with you, 3 nights with Birthmom-BM. And set the schedule as a permanent schedule, so the girls don't get it confused.( the girls might also be having a hard time coming to grips that their mother is mentally ill is it documented??) that is a lot on a teenager. The teen years are already very stressful, and a highly emotional time for girls. With all their own changes...physically, emotionally and and bodily, changes. besides boyfriends, school, and leaning about life in general as a young woman.
Has a professional counselor ever sat down with the teenagers & explained in detail their mothers illness?? IF not that needs to be addressed too. Are the daughters getting any sort of counseling now?
If BM is crying, its quite possible in her mind, she feels her daughters are being "stolen from her" or she is being punished due to being mentally ill.. I know many birth mothers would feel the exact same way..if the daughters choose someone over them ( its Normal for a mother to feel that way ) I would THINK most would react that way, even IF they weren't mentally ill.
And no one would understand this unless they were a Birth Mother.
Who's daughter is going to college and leaving?
Do you have any birth children of your own? I know you said you are pregnant. Congrats to you.
And I'm sorry you lost your other child. Condolences .
Losing a child is very hard, and many do not get over that, it's extremely traumatic for many women.
And can be even harder when you raised them for many years, so I will assume..The Birth mother might be feeling some grief, that she is losing her daughters, even though one os an adult already.
But we go through that when they leave for college too.
Like I said,I would only give them this one time at the house. And after you enlighting us further..I might even say that they should have a private meeting for a while, and the at some point you should join in the conversation since you are raising the daughters in your home, and making decissions for them now.
Thanks for explaing that...further. The things you added changed the entire picture.
Sus

Coldandloved's picture

It's pretty bad actually. BM has a shrink (excuse the term) who happens to be her best friend, and therefore tells her she does nothing wrong, in fact it was the shrink's idea for her to divorce DH. So although there is plenty going on mentally, she thinks nothing is wrong, and the world, is in fact... against her. She has refused meds for everything. Depression, bipolar... and having a shrink who apparently isn't good enough to recognize what is a clear conflict of interests to get her friend REAL help... isn't helping us either. So to say anyone has sat down with the girls and explained it is a no. I can say they don't really care if BM cries anymore... everyone in this house juse goes stone cold and waits for it to pass.

Constantly_guilty's picture

Cold-

If they want to have the discussion without you, the very least they should do is then pick a neutral location like a coffee shop or a restaurant. The message that they are giving the BM is that she has all the power. You can be forced out of your own space whenever she wants. This is not the way to start this relationship. It is your home and you have every right to stay in it. If they want to have a discussion that doesn't involve you, do it somewhere else. Period.

Sorry to be so harsh but the way you begin is the way things will go forward. Don't start out allowing yourself to be stepped on.

C_G

Totalybogus's picture

News Flash... YOU are part of the family. If they're having a "family" meeting, you should be there too.

Coldandloved's picture

Update....
Spoke with DH breifly today and without saying much at all he knew it was bothering me. Came home early from work, we discussed it.. and I'm staying here tonight. He too agrees that we have been way too accomodating of BM's need to control everything. We also agree that it's not right for me to have to leave here. Arrangements have been made. WHEW! Here's hoping some sort of progress is made with BM tonight. I don't ever wanna see my DH's girls in tears like they were last night over such a selfish parent as BM again!

stepmasochist's picture

Yay for you. I'm glad DH saw the light. Now if he can just keep it up and set some boundaries for the crazy crybaby manipulating BM.