You are here

Narcissistic parents and their brat kids.

newtostep26's picture

I've noticed a trend about divorcees with children being high on the narcissistic spectrum. Another issue is that their kids tend to be spoiled POS kids. Anyone else noticed this? I blame it on the parenting and the coddling from their bio parents and grandparents. These kids are very manipulative just like the rest of their family including their parents.

nengooseus's picture

Not do the real work of parenting.  And they LOVE to destroy people who have "wronged" them.  Those factors combined are a perfect storm for kids of divorce.  Without meaningful correction--which includes validating their critical thinking and emotions--any child with a narc parent is screwed.  Either they become narcissistic or they maladapt in another self-desctuctive way.

Are narcissists more likely to get divorced?  That would be interesting to study.  The research on narcissism isn't enough now.  We're still laboring under the impression that men are more likely to be narcissists than women, which I strongly suspect is incorrect.

GoingWicked's picture

I think it might be that now days both parents are working long hours, and relying on others to raise their children for them.  I notice this with friends and family, it's almost like they are NCPs to their own children.  When they do spend time with their kids, they are tired, so the kids get new fancy screens to keep them entertained, or they feel guilty which results in spoiling.  A long time ago one job in the family was enough to support them, now it takes 2+, I think it's just a sign of the times.

tog redux's picture

The majority of divorces go smoothly and people move on and coparent together. Only 10% of divorces even go through Family Court, vs. being settled amicably.

We are that 10%.  So no, not all divorced people are narcissistic.

Rumplestiltskin's picture

Yep, our situations are the worst of the worst! Excluding those involving crimes, anyway.