New baby

apegan's picture

2 of my stepchildren live with us, SD 13 and SS 7. They call me by my first name rather than, "mom". A new baby is on the way and I am worried that it too will call me by my name rather than mom. Should I be worried about this?

napamom's picture

I am so sorry you having anxiety over this when you should just be able to enjoy this experience of being pregnant. I was SO worried about this same thing. My kids are now 2 and 8 months. And the 2 year old has zero confusion about what to call me. She is starting to get confused by my SD 13 and her calling me by my first name but she knows I am her mom. Don't worry at all...your dear baby will always call you mom and it is the best thing in the world. Good luck and have so much fun when the new baby comes.

at whits end with ss's picture

I Agree with napamom. I had my first child when my ss was 3 yrs old. He also calls me by my first name (and even 6 years later he still calls me by my first name). My daughter had no problem knowing me as "mom". She is a smart ass though and when I don't answer to mom she sometimes calls me by my first name to get my attention. I think as long as you call yourself mom when talking to your baby then there should be no problem.

at whits end with ss's picture

My ss8 won't even go as far to call me stepmom. BM has completely messed him up in the head. At one point, before DH and I were married, Bm told SS8 that my parents were NOT his grandma and grandpa. This was devastating becuase my parents took him in as one of their own--better than I did. She has taught SS8 that I am not family and I think that's why he is so disrespectful towards me.