You are here

I'm a lesbian step-parent of 4 children who's father is abusive and narcissistic.

Cpt1981's picture

I'm at a loss.
I love my female partner. She wanted to come out 18 years ago, but was from a small town in OK where you married young and could never be gay. All her children were pretty much conceived via rape, but she lover her children and just focused on being a mom. She has an 8 year old and 15 year old girls, and a 13 year old and 18 year old boys. Both the girls are sexualized by their obese and Narcissistic Personality Disorder father who's wealthy and manipulative. The oldest girl lives with us permanently and doesn't speak to him. The kids are lazy and I end up cleaning after them because they don't listen to my partner. They don't like me. I want to win their affection, but honestly, I feel afraid of them. I've never been a parent, and now there's 4 of them...all spoiled by technology and their father with the big house and money and all the toys....while we live in a tiny 750sq ft house with 3 bedrooms, 2 large dogs, and 2 cats and everyone is always fighting. I feel I can't win with them. I think they are afraid of me too. Their mother, my partner, is too lenient with them because she's afraid of losing them....but I'm tired of telling them to clean their rooms and dishes and clothes. They aren't tiny children here. I want to hug them and be close, but they won't let me. So now it's just this weird awkward cycle and now I just stay in my room all the time. I don't know what to do.

Cpt1981's picture

Might I also add that the almost 16 year old girl is bipolar and has a severe eating disorder.

LadyJ's picture

Wait, what??? You're saying that 4 children conceived over the span of 10 years to the same man are all results of rape?

Popcorn

Cpt1981's picture

She was married. He controlled her aND threatened her. He controlled who she hung out with. She had no money or place to go. Her mother abandoned her and her father was also narcissistic. Her grandfather raped her countless times and her father did nothing. By the time she hit 18, her ex husband promised to whisk her away from her abusive small town family. Once married, he controlled her. He would come home from work and crawl on top of her in the middle of the night, get off, and go to sleep. He physically abused her and she was already broken from her childhood. Finally, two years ago, she met a group of women musicians who befriended her and gave her the help to leave him. Still, she was tied to him financially and he wouldn't sign the divorce papers. He moved to TN for a better job, so she had to move to....living in a separate home of course. We met a year ago, and I've slowly helped her distance herself physically from him. He is finally signing the divorce papers and it'll be finalized next week. She works for a non profit that helps rescue women from domestic violence, but doesn't make a lot of money....so she can't afford a lawyer to try and take full custody of the kids. She can only agree to whatever he says just so that she can finally legally get rid of him.

Cpt1981's picture

And when I mean I helped her physically distance herself from him...I meant move away from the home his name was in. No more talking on the phone, seeing him in person, or texts. Only email so that it can all be recorded.

Cpt1981's picture

Was that too intense?
I know.
It's okay.
Im on lots of medication..... Wink

Uhm. Sorry....I don't know how to delete this extra post.
I'm not computer savvy nor am I entirely clear of any possible wine that may or may not be in my system.

Cpt1981's picture

It's rape when she said no, he said yes, and she put a pillow over her head so that she could cry and not look at him. It's rape when he knew she didn't want it but could no longer fight back a 280 lb man.

Cpt1981's picture

I thought this was supposed to be a supportive place and all I'm getting is questioned.
Sorry I joined.
Thanks a lot guys.

Aniki-Moderator's picture

Questions are asked in an attempt to get a clearer, more accurate picture. Anyone can look at the tip of the ice berg. Interested people look for more than that.

Litay's picture

It sounds like your partner was indeed raped. This isn't the 1950s when prevailing wisdom held that married women couldn't be raped. That said, you have to disengage from her kids. It sounds like you have helped her do so much, now it's her job to nag the kids not yours. If she won't do this and if you don't disengage, the relationship will not work. Maybe the healthiest thing for you would be to leave. You can't spend the next ten years in your room. If you are not ready to leave, then try counseling. She is right that she could lose the kids. My husband chose to stay with me and be my partner, and his daughter has indeed left our family.

Rags's picture

Their feelings nor the why of their feelings matter. What the do and how they behave is what matters. The behavior is what you have to address. You .... and your partner. That means you are going to have to confront her on her issues in all of this, inform her that if you are to be equity life partners that you are also going to have to be equity parents to any spawn in your joint home regardless of the biological relationships of the spawn and make the relationship contingent on her participation in this absolute requirement.

Then you have to set the standards of acceptable behavior in your home and enforce those rules and apply appropriate consequences when the spawn fail to meet those standards. Your partner must enforce the standards and if she doesn't then you must. She can step up and take care of it before you have to or she can STFU and support you while you do it.

No quarter, no deviation, lather, rinse, repeat.

IMHO of course.

Good luck.

Cpt1981's picture

You guys are wrong. Her story is real and her female cousins can verify it. With so much awful PTSD, she was too afraid and beaten to think or feel rationally and got involved in a relationship with a control freak that saw her as his property. She was too afraid to leave. She couldn't get tattoos because he said that he owned her body, and that's a G rated example.
She does do therapy and doesn't say "poor me". She was a nurse and is now an advocate for a non profit that rescues and houses women running from abusive men. Sone times life really is that bad for someone, and sometimes those women use their suffering to help others. She is the most selfless, kind, giving woman I have ever been with or met and she is feeling overwhelmed by 4 kids, her VERY giving career, and a nutcase ex who is out to get her.
So excuse me for getting defensive because most people in this world could never love the way she does despite the massive painful past.
You don't know her. I do. And she is a f'ing saint compared to most and loves unconditionally while dealing with severe PTSD.
I just wanted advice in how to help her parent and instead most of you have accused her of being the exact opposite of who she is and even questioned her assaults.
How dare you.

LadyJ's picture

I think maybe just channel your energy into being a good partner, rather than being a parent. Remove your expectations about the children and things are then given the space to develop naturally with the children. Trying to parent other people's children almost never meets our expectations. Take a step back

snikees's picture

Look, no matter what the people here say, it's your partners story and whether or not her thoughts are clear she believes she was raped. It's her story. I would encourage you to decipher what's really clear and what may be distortions so you can begin to help her see that she has a great deal more control than she thinks she does. Sometimes in life our experiences make us feel helpless, when in reality more assertiveness will forever change the rest of the story. She does not have to be a victim but no one ever modeled another way of life for her. If you're really committed, this relationship might work but you need to know from the get go that it's going to be a hell of a lot of work. And you cannot be willing to play victim or allow her to play victim.
The first thing she needs is to learn how to set and maintain boundaries to keep herself safe. The second thing she needs to do is set and maintain boundaries for and with her kids to keep them safe. They have never experienced boundaries and at their ages, they aren't going to like them, but they will probably adjust so long as they have the supportive environment to do it in. Your role is not the enforcer. She is the enforcer, you are her support. If she's not committed, you're fighting a losing battle. She's never seen a boundaried world so this is kindergarten for grown ups. And it's kindergarten for the kids who have never known this way of life. I'm not kidding when I say it's going to be a ton of work.
Together you decide what the house rules are and the appropriate consequences for violations. As a unified front-you two sitting next to each other-she talks, you nod... present the rules to the kids. Let them know there are consequences for violations. As soon as that conversation ends the work begins. Consistency is key. No one gets away with not following house rules. Not even once. Remember, you're not the enforcer...you might even have to be the helper. Say one of the kids doesn't take well to cleaning up the kitchen, you choose a part of the job and "help" that kid complete his task. Or perhaps you can make it a game, "if we get this done in four minutes I'll take you downtown for an ice cream cone" (or something else that child might like to do).
If your partner is too tired or burdened with her stuff to begin the boundaried way of life, you will have a very difficult life with her. Her children will never take to you and will always see you in a negative light. Your life will always be a disarray and you will spend more time than you want to holed up in your room. Think long and hard before you commit to this love...her giving and kindness is a byproduct of the suffering she has endured. It's a coping mechanism that may prevent her from being a boundaried woman.
Finally, I hope that the story of being raped by their father has never been shared or even overheard by the children. They are not capable
Of processing that information, and while he may not be a nice man, he is still their father. He has his own background which may have lent to his methods. If the children have heard the story as "rape" I encourage your partner to get those kids some counseling to unravel the reality of their own lives.
Best to you!!

erasec63's picture

Welcome to step-parenting, whether it be straight, lesbian or bisexual! You have Disney Mom instead of Disney Dad. Kids are spoiled and have no rules. Us second wives walk into a situation that has been in place for years, then are baffled why we are miserable and kids are distant-disrespectful and our partner's have a deaf ear.

You aren't in that long and might want to think about finding a partner without so much baggage. You've been warned. I'm in 7 years, 1 year of child psychotherapy, 1 year of parenting classes (jointly) a psycho Birth Mother who wages war on us in life, by manipulating the children and in court. I'm also in 14k of my retirement money to supplement a losing custody battle to get the kids away from a mentally ill mother. You start off in love, they are the best thing you ever encountered and the most giving, loving people you ever met. Seven years later you are arguing over the laundry because they haven't changed their lax parenting ways, their inability, or unwillingness to fight the abusive ex-wife, husband, whatever. They stick up for their kids against you and you are bewildered when you have given your heart, soul and money to them. My DH is also an abuse victim, whatever that means. I believe it's a personality trait. She is still abusing him and he is still running. He ran to me. Now I have to fight for him and you will have to fight for her-and you will lose. The judges will make sure of that.

Everyone is debating the rape issue. Sometimes marriage is like that. Kids, jobs, housework, animals... Sex is late, quick and exhausted. Everyone has work in the morning. She is calling it rape because she didn't want it or didn't like it, but sex is a part of marriage and frankly, expected. They had four kids. Don't believe the feminist nonsense (I'm a feminist and women's studies major) that just because you say no it means rape. In a marriage we all sometimes say no and the partner is insistent. If she was really raped, kicking, screaming yelling, well, then she should have gotten help before 4 children and that is what people are trying to tell you.

Unless your partner is willing to participate in some serious counseling and set up household rules and boundaries-and be ready to enforce them-you'll be on the hamster wheel like the rest of us. Kids are work and kids from dysfunctional families are trouble-and FOUR of them? I'd go for the auntie role but you are going to need mom's vigilance, and I don't believe you'll get it. If you are the strong one (like me) she will look to you to do it and the kids will always rebel. This is a full time job with no perks, no pay and no days off.

P.S. The final stage of this story is everyone resenting you, not the certificate of appreciation you were hoping for. Trust me on this one. For this to work, seriously, you need counseling now and mom has to set up and enforce the rules. I'd be in a lot better place if I had realized that early on. Weak partners gravitate toward strong ones and they expect us to fix everything, even their kids. Then they resent you for the most menial of requests-like cleaning your damn room and brushing your damn teeth. Get where I'm going with this?