You are here

What can I do with 16 yr old???

NoOneSpecial's picture

I have a birth daughter who is 16. For the past year, she never wants to come home. She tells me all the time how she hates our house, hates everyone here, and wants to live at her friends house. I have 2 younger kids, ages 6 and 4, who adore their sister, but when shes home all she does is scream and yell. I've been there for my daughter, never missed a program, concert, nothing. I've bought her a nice car, pay the insurance and gas, buy her expensive clothes, pay for her cell phone, etc. I've been good to her. But I cant do it anymore, and I'm considering letting her live with her friend. No she doesnt do drugs, weve tried counseling, but nothing works. Please give me advice!

Living the dream's picture

*********THIS*********

Do every one of these things. It's time to put your daughter back in her proper place in your family. She's not supposed to be in charge, and she and the rest of your family will be much better off when she isn't.

RedWingsFan's picture

^^^Totally agree with Dtzy here. Your spoiled princess needs to be brought down a notch or two and taught to RESPECT her mother and siblings, period.

Take that shit away and let her earn it back.

Lalena75's picture

I'm the with dtzy don't let the kid rule you it's supposed to be the other way . Remove all privlidges, call the cops when she refuses to come home and let her friends parents know if they interfere they will be held accountable. She has to learn to deal as the big grown up would will be upon her soon and entitling her letting her manipulate you isn't going to do her any favors in her life. What she needs is her things and privileges stripped and earned back she needs parented she wants to move to friends because there she can do as she pleases.

sterlingsilver's picture

^^^agree^^^. I had a son similar to this and sent him to Job corps. He's done a complete 180 and has pulled his head out of his butt. Sometimes kids can't do well with their own folks and it takes other adults to help them get their act together. But you have to do it right or your ass will be the one going to jail. She's your responsibility. I think you've given her toooooo much and she has become very ungrateful. Dr Phil would say the same as above posters, kids need boundaries! She will not see ANYTHING you do though as love, she'll yell that you hate her and she hates you, on and on. One day she will turn back to you and be grateful, but probably not for about 2-6 years yet. Kids can get their high school diplomas at Job corps, my son dropped out and got his GED but is now getting his diploma, plus career training. He is almost 18. He is a different kid now.

Good luck and hugs,

NoOneSpecial's picture

She lives at home, she just wishes she lived elsewhere is all. Honestly, I dont know why since she does have so much. She has been physically violent, and of course whenever I put my foot down I hear the "I'm going to live with my dad" rant. But thank you forthe advice . Maybe she will learn to realize im not the bad guy!

jumanji's picture

>Honestly, I dont know why since she does have so much.

Maybe she has too much. Time to change that.

When my daughter was four, she pulled the "I want to live with Daddy" card. I calmly packed her a bag, told her I would miss her, and gave her to phone to call her Dad. Nipped that one in the bud.

bug's picture

Stop paying for all the stuff unless she comes home. Sounds like she is having her cake and eating it too. Going whenever wherever she pleases while you foot the bill. Take the car away and I'll bet she'd follow some rules.

WarmBody's picture

Why does she claim she hates it in your home? Who does she hate in your home and why? You've listed reasons why you think she should be happy but that doesn't provide a window into your daughter's mind. What does she value, what is getting to her?