You are here

1st time user....desperately seeking help!

just jo's picture

Sad I hope someone out there can help me....I am at wits end! Here's my story....I have been with my common-law husband (who is a single child) for 8+ years now. He has 1 biological daughter (15) and a son (13, who is not biologically his) that he is raising as his own. They are with us every weekend. I do not have any children of my own but have assisted in raising many of my friends children and have been told many times what a wonderful mother I would have made. My problem is my husband has taken away all of my power as a SM by interveining when I am trying to correct the children. Now my SD just walks all over me. My husband has been working out of town recently so I am expected to pick the children up and take them home. My SD seems to think that I am some sort of taxi for her and will drive all over to pick her up whereever she may be. We live out in the country and it's a 45 min drive just to get to where she lives, that doesn't include the extra driving when she wants to go to out with her friends or have us pick her up there. Problem is, she used to be such a sweet girl and now she's turned into some sort of monster!!! She is rude and disrespectful to me and uses her father against me. She has him completely wrapped around her little finger and plays him like a fiddle. He suggested that the 3 of us try to work it out and now he seems to think that he can be a meadiator for the situation. How can he be objective???? Will he not have to choose sides between his daughter and his wife??? This has now become a real problem.
The other problem is with my SS. My husband treats him totally different than he does his bio-daughter. He is extremely hard on him and I think it's because his ex had a child by someone else in which he manned up and said he would raise as his own. He is resentful to his ex and takes it out on the boy. He doesn't see it but everyone else does. My SD is aware of it and uses it to her advantage. My SS is expected to do extra chores around the house but SD is asked to do NOTHING!!!! She comes here and it's like she's gone to a hotel for the weekend. Does nothing and waits to be called for her meals and complains when she's hungry and dinner isn't ready. I love my husband very much and I am not saying that my SD is a bad kid. She's, by the most part, a great kid but a little bit too manipulative. She is beautiful, has great grades and has amazing aspriations for herself. I am very proud of her accomplishments. She is just so into herself right now and it's driving me crazy!!!! Can someone out there PLEASE give me some advice!!!!

glynne's picture

Time for a talk

I think that you should first talk to your DH. It's not fair that he expects you to basically babysit the kids without his support. And it sounds like he is undermining your authority. My belief is that parenting is a joint responsiblity and that parents should support each other.

And then there are the teenage years and it's even more important to stand together. You sound like a fair minded, caring person. Remind your DH of the years that you have spent together and tell him you need his support. Don't let his absentee parenting or guilt parenting cause you to resent your SK's. It's not their fault that they are allowed to be disrespectful and manipulative - they are testing boundaries as kids do. Again, it's up to the parents to guide them and enforce good behavior.

I would talk to DH first, figure out a parenting plan, hold a family meeting and discuss the plan and then both of you parent.

onlynormalone's picture

I know this sounds crazy-but we put a box in our computer room and told the kids if they have any problems write them down and everthng will be adressed on whatever day. It actually worked!Seems like its easier to write things down. Teenagers are still testing the waters-what they can get away with-how far they can push-but the most important thing is for your husband to stand behind you. I beleive everybodies voices needs to be heard-but I would never let my husband "mediate." Being a step mom is the most thankless hardest jobs in the world-Your husband needs to be in your court! She trys to run the house-but we won't let her-she's the kid we're the adults. We do compromise-but if we let her-she'd do the same things yours is doing. As far as the kids being treated differently-I wouldn't let that happen-I would give her as many chores as he has. Then you and your husbnd can ask them both what they did that day-if she didnt do anything-well bye bye cell phone-or computer. She is apart of your family and she needs to help out as being part of the family. (Sorry so long) Hope this helps

glynne's picture

Onlynormal

Your answer sounds way too normal and rational! Wink Good idea - teens in particular need time and space to vent (kinda like stepparents) so by writing their ideas down - it should calm them down.

Where were you 10 years ago when I needed you?