You are here

His Teenaged Children!

thatdriskillgirl's picture

Is it @ all possible 2 love my husband with all my heart & hate his children just as much? Is both possible? They hate me & I hate them. They won't come visit their dad cause their mother doesn't approve of me & I don't care if I ever see them again after the way they have treated me.

Selkie's picture

Well, I don't hate ALL of them. And maybe it's not actually HATE (well, maybe it is for SD16 given the way she has treated my daughter and seems to have no conscience whatsoever). I certainly hate their behaviour. And I hate the way they treat my FH. And I hate the way the SDs try to break us up. I don't want them in my home, at least not all at once. And I don't want SD16 in my life at all.

The problem is trying to reconcile never seeing the skids with your love for your husband. Not having his children here and part of his life with us hurts him. How can you be truly happy when your husband isn't? I don't have an answer to that one.

But oh yes, it's possible to love him and hate them.

Jodee's picture

Ditto. My husband and I are fine with just us, but when his daughters are in the picture, it is not a pretty one. They resent me like crazy and only want me around to buy them clothes, holiday gifts, and trips. I greatly resent it. My husband always says he wishes it was different, but doesn't seem to do anything to make it so. I just keep trying to remember that I am the bigger person in all this!

Lee1973's picture

1. How do you stay sane?
2. How are you not angry and resentful?

This is my biggest problem..I want and feel like he should be moving heaven and earth to make things right..and doesn't...it used to hurt..now it pi..es me off...I have to count to 20 sometimes and go to sleep so I wont say mean things..I don't always succeed and thankfully we talk it out...but still he doesn't do what i want him to.....UGH!!!

stand_by_your_man's picture

my DH's kids are the worst: they don't call or write, don't aknowledge Dad on holidays with cards or gifts (although he's allowed to show up and give THEM gifts), reject gifts they don't like, disrespect both him and myself, side with their hateful, mean and vindictive mother on just about everything, blame DH for causing divorce, etc. etc.
I have hated them so bad and literally sobbed with bitterness (because they cause paint to the man I love).
I know they don't like me but I still want them in my husband's life; his heart aches for them.
I don't know what advice to give you, except try not to get too personally involved with them...they are HIS kids and his problem. Keeping my distance is what I am finding helps alot...

good luck to you!!

"...sometimes I wonder how I keep from goin under"

Jodee's picture

Sounds good, except the one day that Mom ships them off to live with you. That just happened to me!

3MoreYears's picture

This is my first day here, and OMgoodness, this is my SC, exactly!
I also have a huge problem with one SC. Another barely comes over. Two are okay, finally.
I wish I knew the answer, for you all and for us!

Really not the wicked stepmom...

Most Evil's picture

I am in a similar boat. The only good thing is that at 18, it is time for these kids to become independent anyway, so fortunately DH doesn't take it too personally like he did.

Plus he is starting to see, SD is the one treating him that way! (not her mom or whoever else she would blame it on) so its a little easier to survive them not being around, when they are not nice to be around.

Hang in there honey - you are not alone!! Don't give up-!!!!!

"It's funny how dogs and cats know the inside of folks better than other folks do, isn't it?"
- Eleanor H. Porter (1868 - 1920), 'Pollyanna', 1912

Lee1973's picture

I have seen over and over the same situations with sd refusing to come over to visit..i am in same situation..bf got an apartment to try to fix problems...we are planning on buying house and finally moving in completely together..how do i support this man when his daughters still do the same crap and he is hurting, sulking and distraught? He talks to his daughters but cant really fix his ex wife from poisoning his girls against us. It causes a lot of hurt feelings between us and arguing. I am disengaging from the situation as much as possible..but when he mopes and sulks it hurts me...help!!

Sherw's picture

My SS16 doesn't deserve to be disliked by me as much I do. He's just a typical lazy teenager but I blame BM & Biodad for his poor behavior. Although I realize that, I still react wrongly with venom dripping from my mouth and resentment in my heart. He's not a bad kid, I just don't want to have to deal with him and resent daddy's lack of good child raising judgement and guilt parenting. Look at the bright side, at least they're teens now & you're almost over the hump. Some folks are just starting out with youngsters they can't stand!

***We're too blessed to be stressed!***

Orange County Ca's picture

OK: you're question is "...hate his children just as much?"

Absolutely. In cases like this I recommend that you simply step back and let your husband work through it. If you come face to face with them be polite and most importantly treat them as an adult. Remember you are not responsible for their behavour. You don't have to correct them. If they are behaving in a manor you find repugnant do as you would with any adult. Leave.

Once they figure you that you simply don't care about them one of two things will happen. Their attitude towards you will change. Or they will recriprocate by leaving you alone. Either way you win.

There is no law that says you have to have them around. Dad can see them away from home and you can schedule a visit with a girl friend or a movie if for some reason they need to come to your home.

I think you'll find that when you disengage from the fray the battle will be over. It takes two to keep these things going.

As they mature they'll see how silly this is. When that happens keep yourself open to them reaching out. You don't have to put yourself out to them - just be open to the fact that they will change and react positively to their first gesture.

Remember: YOU ARE THE ADULT.

There's an exception to everything I say.

Angel's picture

My sentiments EXACTLY.
My SD is 23 and acts like she is 16. It is not easy to converse with her because it is all about her. I step back and disengage. I am hoping that when she matures she will be easier to talk to. If not, we don't see her that often so I can put up with the airhead talk once in a while.

Selkie's picture

How do you handle it when the skids won't visit your home with your wife? If all of your visits are off-site, how do you handle Christmas? These are honest questions and I really respect your opinion.

Orange County Ca's picture

This is under the "Teenage Children" Forum so I assume yours are teens.

What I did was tell my kids that as teenagers they are now required to act like adults at times. This is to prepare them for the time when they actually become one. Being an adult requires one to do difficult or unsavory things while smiling and being polite and its time to practice.

Explain that for you one of the requirements of being a parent is to teach ones children the facts of life and this is one of those times. Life is not all about them.

Keep the visit short and reasonably well planned. A dinner at home seemed to work best. I always told the wife that I would be glad to buy one of those dinner packages the supermarkets come out with during the holidays. (So it wasn't work). I told her to take credit for the preparation and there will be lots of leftovers.

If you're having other people over then all the better especially if they are related to the children.

I don't know if your wife has any problems with your kids but:

Make sure your wife understands the advise I gave above about treating them as adults and not correcting their table mannors. It was understood that my wife was also expected to act as an adult and she had the option to not be there.

There's an exception to everything I say.

Selkie's picture

Thanks for the response. You've given me something to think about.

mojo_777's picture

Hello OC i believe your thoughts are correct when dealing with a or monster SC, in have been dealing with 1 for the past 4 years and im sure you know as you responded with some good advice , the problem i had was that first he was with us 24/7/365 never left the house and was constantly complaining and whining, while yes i was the adult i often tried to leave or ignore him but he was relentless to say the least this is why i had gotten to the point that the mere sight of him would just make my blood boil, in any case i have taken action im putting the house for sale and going to leave the past 4 nightmare years behind me

thanks again

Independent's picture

My plan is to go on a trip at Thanksgiving, and the BF likes where I'm going so he is welcome to come, whether he will do it and not is yet to be determined he may chose the hell of the the princess and prince. I have no control over anyone but me. At Christmas, I am getting a room in a near-by town that has nice shopping and I am telling him I'm in a hotel waiting when he gets done celebrating with them. Visitation, I leave, they are 17 and 18 so they are both going to be in the dorm soon so I expect the small visitation will be even be less. But right now on Thursday night I have a class and on Sundays I run with friends, then have lunch and hit golf balls with my friends. If they happen by all of a sudden I have an errand to run. I have totally disengaged and I am so much happier for it. My BF said when I first started this they'll notice--my response "they are so self centered I doubt they will notice, plus they get all your time and this bad behavior is because they want more of your time--so they can have it". My friends without skids say how can you do that and I say how can you not. They treat their Dad like the gum on the bottom of their shoe, and I just can't keep watching it, I really dislike them on all kinds of levels that even if I met them away from him I wouldn't want to spend time with them. So I don't--nice thing about being 46 and having my own house, money, and credit cards, I can leave and go some place way nicer with people I like. I raised my sisters kids, so I had all the responsibility and none of the authority. I am not going to fight a losing battle. When they grow, I may grow to like them just like I did with friend's children. Only time with tell.

Selkie's picture

I don't blame you one bit for disengaging and leaving. In fact, I envy you. The difference with our situation is that I have a 14 year-old daughter living with us. I don't think it would be fair to her if she and I both left our home at holiday time, as tempting as it sounds. I'm also holding out some hope that we can all come to some sort of truce that will allow everyone to be in the same house together.

Another stupid aspect is that my fiance has to work the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, and that is also the week he has visitation. So in order for him to be with his kids over the holiday, he has to bring them here and leave them at home while he goes to work. If I left the house, that would leave 3 teenagers in the house unsupervised all day. If I stay, I'm refereeing 4 teenagers all day.

Merry freaking Christmas.

Lee1973's picture

wow,,I am so sorry..
I spent this Christmas watching my bf being depressed and missing his daughters who refused to see him because he wanted me to celebrate Christmas with him and his family...now all is well and they r talking and i am at my house while he is with his girls..happy new years!!!

Mystery23's picture

Hate is a strong word. How come u so against them and yet u don't see them so how do they upset u so much.
Is it the fact they call their father for things and u don't like he giving them stuff or the fact when u got plans it goes out the window as he goes sees them.
What is it lol?

FriscoStepmom's picture

I am 43 and have stepdaughters 16, 15 and 10. The older two have the same mother and she allowed them to grow up with absolutely no boundaries. I have been raising the oldest one with my DH since she was 12. Although there has been a vast improvement in her behavior (went from a weed smoking, sexually active D student) she is now a 4.0 student and making attempts at age appropriate behavior. The biggest problem I have is her back talking and rude and disrespectful attitude. I was raised very differently, in a time where children stayed in their place and respected their elders. I just dont think I am ready for this new kind of teenager that is a walking hormonal ego with fangs. I support this child completely with no assistance from her BM. I have a completely different set up expectations. Although I am not her mother, I am raising her and completely responsible for meeting all of her needs. I want to choke this child almost daily. It has gotten me to the point where I want to cut her off and not do another thing for her. I dont feel obligated in the way that a BM would toward this child. I love her, but am not attached to the point that I could not change gears to ignoring her completely. I am just sick of all the drama she brings. It was a peaceful summer without her. Our home is so harmonious when she is not around. She just brings so much negativity into our space and I am sick of it!!!