You are here

Could BM get into trouble for this??

Disneylover2000's picture

Here's the situation.. SS14 NEVER showers at BM's since he turned 12. Like ever. Never brushes his teeth at BM's. NEVER changes his clothes including his underwear.  DH will drop SS14 off on Sunday morning to BM's and pick him up the following Saturday and SS14 will be in the SAME clothes including underwear. SS14 smells REALLY bad. Like I want to gag when I pick him up from BM's.  During the week he sleeps in his clothes and wears the Same clothes to school everyday and goes the whole week without brushing his teeth. NEVER uses Deodorant. Even  with everyone wearing masks at school SS14's smell is overwhelming. Plus his clothes are filthy from a weeks worth of food Spilled on them. When he comes over I have to put his clothes in a plastic bag outside because they will stink up our whole house. 

My question is it weird the school never sent a email to BM/DH regarding this?  Is this something that could be reported to say CPS? Yes DH makes SS shower as soon as he gets to our house but he's dirty all week at school. 

justmakingthebest's picture

Is he on the spectrum?

I only ask because this is my SS21. He has an aversion to water. He also has a rain jacket that he really loves and will sleep in that, jeans, even shoes. It is a constant battle to make sure he is showering and brushing and changing his clothes- to include is underwear. I monitor his laundry and have to count what is in the basket. 

Hmmm don’t think so BUT He has been Diagnosed with ADHD and a Defiant disorder. He's ALWAYS been funny about getting wet UNLESS it was something he wanted. Meaning he has no problem spending ALL day swimming in a dirty lake BUT always hated taking showers from day one. He Absolutely refused to shower till he was ten and insisted on taking a bath if anything. To this day I still think he does not shower correctly even at our house. SS14 will take 30 minute showers but will come out like he did a half ass job. Think he just stands in the water and that's it. 

lieutenant_dad's picture

Will he still take baths? Has DH ever showed him how to properly shower? Would SS be willing to use gym wipes or baby wipes to clean himself between showers? How does he react when one of you tells him that he stinks?

I think it's worth having a conversation with his school and maybe his pediatrician. A call to CPS might be warranted, but not sure what will come of a 14 year old refusing to shower (unless BM just doesn't keep hygeine products at her house).

We've run into hygeine issues with my SSs. BM is not the most clean, and she didn't do a great job of teaching and enforcing hygeine standards. DH has done a better job with them as far as teaching and enforcing showers, but he can't make them shower well. It's a rough situation to be in when they're only with you on weekends and have a week's worth of unhygeinic practices already built up.

I'm not sure if SS would take a bath but I'm thinking no. Guess we could try baby wipes BUT it's not just showering. SS is refusing to change his clothes also. BM has plenty of clean clothes but SS just wears the same thing day after day

Cover1W's picture

We had an issue like this with OSD - YSD also doesn't shower enough, or use soap....she goes through bottles of conditioner 2x as fast as shampoo but I'm staying out of it. At least, so far, she doesn't generally smell - this summer I had to open the car window and told DH about it and it didn't happen again.

I think there's something not wired right in these kids who don't have proper hygeine combined with a lack of parenting. Neither SD when I met them at 7 and 9 brushed their teeth (I had to teach them and start with toddler toothpaste), didn't know how to shower and use a washcloth or shampoo, wore the same clothes and shoes with no socks all week/weekend and often no underwear. DH and BM both were to blame for all this. OSD fought all basic hygeine requests every time. I eventually did tell her when she stank and wouldn't go with her anywhere unless she appropriately bathed. I stayed away far enough where her breath couldn't reach me (yellow teeth, bleeding gums). She never washed her clothes and we found used underwear in her room after she left that was simply shocking.

Bascially I didn't do anything and DH started stepping in when HE started to realize the problem (much much too late) by smelling her stench. I did almost gag later on just before she left our home never to return when she walked by me in the kitchen. I got out of there fast.

Someoneelse's picture

I don't think that BM could get in trouble for that. if he was unable to shower/brush his own teeth/change his clothes, then yes, but since he is 14 he should be taking care of his own hygene and therefore, BM shouldn't be held liable for that.

notarelative's picture

Where is the school? Focusing on academics. It's not a school problem. 

Elementary school, where the kids have one (or two) teachers in a day, the school nurse may get involved and call the parents. 
Middle schools and up -- teachers only see the kids for 40 minutes to an hour at a time. They'll sit the kid by an open window.

Realistically, unless the lack of hygiene causes a medical problem, children's services is it going to get involved. That's not to say that children's services won't show up to find out if you have hot water on tap. But, unless the house is a hoarder's paradise and lacks running water, most likely nothing will be done.

shellpell's picture

Whatever happened to you dh wanting to get his hands on your retirement account?! I'd be more worried about that...

Maria10's picture

BM1 has always neglected my SS16 but DH and I make sure he has clean clothes, shampoo and all toiletries. He knows to wash, brush and at least hit the 5 points and change the basics everyday.

BM2 is the most neglectful and let's Ss10 ( autistic) do whatever he wants. No brushed teeth+ he forgot.  No clean clothes- no big deal( girl clothes, small clothes, shoes 2 sizes big) until the school said something. Hasn't showered and stinks- just spray a ton of perfume and nobody will know. Every weekend we get to teach him these things all over again. Decaying teeth and very overweight while stepdad proudly proclaims that Ss10 gets to choose what and when they eat.

The best story came this past Friday when I had noticed that BM2( SS10) did not address a rash he's had for the past three weeks( we put cortisone on it when he came here and DH supposedly said something but who knows) 

So I asked how he was doing. She said fine then proceeded to tell me I /DH should supervise when he bathes( gasp- color me surprised that bathing occurs at BM house too) as he never likes to wash his pits and he has been getting stinky. Of course he wears deodorant but he's been getting zits in his pits. I almost laughed out loud( thank you mask!) Then proceeded to ask about the rash all over his face and arms and did not hesitate to say we have been putting cortisone on it and did it get better. She knew nothing about it( remember it was on his FACE). Ihad a good laugh in the car on my way home as BM1 is the LAST person I would take cleanliness/ hygiene advice from.

Note::SS10' was taken to doctor by us and given cortisone as well as medication to take. He is now rash free and we think it's because he rolls naked on the ground at their place( see my previous post about clothes etc.)

Rags's picture

Clothes, body, and stench all at the same time.

If it works for oil soaked water fowl it will work for  foul spawn.

Thumper's picture

You could make contact with the school counselor if you wanted ask about any teacher feedback? You could ask counselor to keep a gentle eye out for ss. THAT will prompt counselor to check things out on his/her own. Wink

Parents often times skip over school counselors are good alleys. ** Reports of hygiene concerns are usually at Elem School age level. Some situation's do rise to the cps involvement**. 

OR have dad make a doctors appointment for a general teen physical??  Dad can leave word with staff for doc to discuss importance of good hygiene at his age. THEN a 6week follow up??

Has dad ever said, SON take a shower at moms before you come over. ? I mean we all tell our kids to take a shower, right? Why not tell SS to take a shower, pick up is in 30mins?

DH has done this and 90 percent of the time SS has some excuse..headache, doing HW no time or just forgets. DH says there are to many other things to battle with SS over. Even at our house SS Literally needs to be forced into the shower. Even then unless we tell SS to Physically give us his dirty underwear/Socks he will put them back on after his shower! I mean come on this kid is ALMOST 15! If the smell does not bother him I would think the dirty Greasy clothes would. know when I had Covid and did not shower for four days I could hardly stand how Grubby I felt. 

Cover1W's picture

"DH says there are to many other things to battle with SS over."

AHA!  Does your DH really, really agree that the hygeine is an issue?  MY DH used to say this EXACT thing to me when I was trying to get a routine going - wash face, brush teeth, regular bathing...and then he would NOT back me up at all. Oh, they are tired, oh they are just kids, oh they don't look dirty, etc., etc.

If this is what your DH truly thinks you are not ever going to help this situation. For me, I avoided being in public, going into any enclosed spaces (like a car) or sitting by OSD at all if there were issues. And, in private, I told DH exactly why.