You are here

What age do kids Typically want to go trick-or-treating with friends rather than parents

Disneylover2000's picture

We live in a nice Residential Neighborhood in SS's school district not out in the Boonies somewhere. We asked SS if he wanted to go Trick-or-treating with friends this year and his response was no one lives close. No friends may live in OUR Housing development but we live in SS's school district so I'm sure someone is within 15 minutes of us. So I was just wondering what age do kids Usually want to hook up with friends for Halloween rather than walk around with parents?

The kid is taller than me and will hang all over DH like a 5 year old would. We went out to a haunted event and had to stand in line for some time due to Social distancing. SS spent the whole time in line hugging/Snuggled up to DH. It would be cute if SS was 5.  I felt like a 3rd wheel. It is Quite disgusting Actually. The kid is NOT the least bit Independent. SS will have NO problem running to house to house with daddy on Halloween. I'm Actually surprised DH does not have to walk him up to the door to get the candy. I will add when I was that age NO way would I be hanging all over my parents Especially out in public. SS does not care in the least bit

advice.only2's picture

Sounds like your DH enables SS's learned helplessness. At 13 I would take the smaller kids on my street trick or treating so the parents could stay home or go to parties. BD14 is going out with her friends this year and has been doing that since she was 12.

SeeYouNever's picture

I think I went with friends at about 11 and was too cool for it and quit trick or treating at 12. 

If there are no friends around I would let your SS just opt out. I'd stay home and watch movies this year.

SeeYouNever's picture

I think I went with friends at about 11 and was too cool for it and quit trick or treating at 12. 

If there are no friends around I would let your SS just opt out. I'd stay home and watch movies this year.

Some goofy dumb Comedy( think three Stooges). SS is TOTALLY afraid of scary movies and refuses to watch any of them. What teen boy or girl does not like a good scary movie on Halloween?? Hell even I do. 

Dogmom1321's picture

I think it totally depends. SD10 will probably want to go by herself this year. We live in a very safe neighborhood that is on a dead end. I'm also pregnant and won't be participating in waling around/trick or treating, so DH would have to go, but he'll likely say no to her lol 

Dogmom1321's picture

I think it totally depends. SD10 will probably want to go by herself this year. We live in a very safe neighborhood that is on a dead end. I'm also pregnant and won't be participating in waling around/trick or treating, so DH would have to go, but he'll likely say no to her lol 

Stepmama2321's picture

I started going with friends when I was 11. Quit trick or treating at 12-13. We lived in the country so didnt switch to handing out candy, just quit all together. 

I have a nephew who is 12 and he is refusing to dress up but he may walk with his little sisters. I'd say he's a pretty sheltered kid, meaning he acts younger than other 12 year olds, and he still would never in a million years dress up and have his dad walk him... 

SMto2's picture

I think it totally depends as well. For as long as I can remember, my DS13 has had DH walk with him around the neighborhood (sometimes with a friend that came over, sometimes just the two of them, all in VERY safe n'hoods, including a gated community) while I stay home and hand out candy. Last year was just the two of them. Our DS13 adores his dad and loves hanging out with him (though, no, DS13 doesn't hang on DH, try to sit on his lap or anything like that, and I would find that concerning.) I've never thought anything remotely negative about it or thought it was strange, and in fact, that seems to be the norm in our area that parents walk with the kiddos, even older ones, just for socialization and fun. And I'm happy that my DH enjoys that tradition with our son. Also, this year, DS13 has decided not to go trick-or-treating (they're having trunk-or-treat at our lake house community) and DS13 will help DH decorate our trunk and hand out candy for that. Again, I think this is awesome. I'd like to think I wouldn't feel differently if this was a SK instead of DH's and my bio.

Rags's picture

It depends on the kids, it depends on the parents, and it should depend on the quality and safety of the neighborhood.  Back in my entrepreneurial days I owned restaurants in malls.  To provide for a safe environment for kids to Trick-or-Treat the mall would close down at 20:00 (if I recall correcctly, it has been 30 years) on Halloween and remain open until midnight.  All entrances were secured by a security guard and main entrances had metal detectors installed and kids and parents were screened, tagged, and monitored as they did the Halloween thing in a secure controlled environment.  My stores went all out with decorations, activities, treats, meals for families, and we kept the bar open for parents.

It was an awesome concept.  Our home is in a gated community with only residents having access. I would be fine with parents letting their older kids, say 10+,  going around together for Trick-or-Treating.  Our neighborhood also has Flamingo events where periodically one neigbor or another hosts coctails, wine, and tapas socials.  It tends to be announced on the community web site and the person hosting puts Pink Flamingos in their yard.

I suppose my answer is... it depends.