You are here

How to deal with COVID, newborn and SS9?

Caroline2b1211's picture

Hi everyone,

I hope all of you are fine and spend great holidays. 

Some of you may have read my last post about holidays and BM first conflict about COVID. To resume, she assumes that SS9 is mature enough to decide if he wants to be tested (and SS9 refuses), and she doesn't take any precaution with COVID. (huge Christmas party, new year party planned, no social distancing, SS9 sees lot of people without wearing mask, including other children from other families at dinner and pyjama parties).

I have a six weeks old baby, and in France, COVID contagions increase again with christmas gatherings. We have SS9 EOW and i'm wondering how to deal with COVID high risk.

I have been traumatised when my baby had 3 weeks because he gets cold from SS9 who was sneezing everywhere at home. Plus, DH let sick SS9 touch the baby because he though he would feel rejected if didn't. I spent 1 entire week awake to watch for the baby and told DH it was the last time SS9 will touch my newborn untill the end of winter. It was a simple cold but really dangerous for newborn and i could have been COVID !

I though DH got it, however, last evening i heard SS9 asked DH by phone if next time he could take the baby. DH said yes... It won't happen anyway but i was really angry !!

So i'm wondering how to deal with SS9 who is sick every winter, whith BM that isn't carefull with COVID and my fragile newborn baby. 
We have him EOWeekend and half holidays. 
How would you deal with that to avoid any risk? 

I'm starting to think about quarantine the baby EOW in our room (he sleeps in our bedroom for now) let DH sleep with SS9 the weekend and asks DH to wear a mask all the week after SS9 visitation.. but seems complicated. 
Thanks for advice

best !

tog redux's picture

Glad to hear it's not just Americans who are careless about COVID.

I would sit SS down next time he's over, and give an "Explain Like I'm 5" description of the immune system and why it's important for people to be careful with illness around babies in the first few months of their life. Tell him that you love that he's such a good big brother and you can't wait for the day when they can play together.  But for now, you need his help in other ways that don't include touching the baby, especially if he himself is sick.

Leave BM out of it, explain a little about COVID, and then YOU enforce it. Stop relying on your DH to do it. (You said before that SS likes you, so he might listen. And if not, you protect your baby.)

Winterglow's picture

I agree, education is the way to go. Knowledge is power. I'd be willing to bet he'll appreciate being treated like an adult. 

Caroline2b1211's picture

What a good idea, i will take time to teach SS9 about immune system and virus, germs etc..

However, BM, MIL and my step sister are really ignorant people who don't even know about germs. Sincerly they truely believe that you get flu with cold air. And they have a huge influence over SS9...

tog redux's picture

That's fine, this is how kids learn critical thinking. You can say that, "I know your mom doesn't think COVID is a big deal, but I feel differently, so in our home, these are the rules we follow. And since I'm the baby's mom, I get to make the rules for him."  And then give your husband the stinkeye if he tries to undo any of your directions.

Caroline2b1211's picture

Thanks all for comment,

Would i be too strict if i ask SS9 to wear a mask at our home if he has COVID symptoms ? Since BM doesn't want him to be tested, i'm really scared to be infected and the baby too. And as you know, COVID spreads in the air

Rags's picture

If he is symptomatic he has no business being in your home.  Put this firmly on BM.  He is symptimatic he can only come to your home with a negative covid test. Make it the PCR test.  As i was told two weeks ago, the PCR test has the best eficacy.

This is on BM and on dad.  Do not risk your health and for sure do not risk the health of your baby.

Winterglow's picture

I respectfully disagree. There's a chemist near where I live where you can get tested without an appointment and without a prescription. I bet there's somewhere near you like this. 

Caroline2b1211's picture

That would be perfect for me ! But i meant, won't it be "too much" for a 9yo little boy to be tested EOW?

Rags's picture

No, daily would not be too often.  Your infant is at risk due to this kid's presence in your home.

tog redux's picture

In the US, COVID tests are not always free. Here there is one free site and you wait hours there. Otherwise you pay unless your doctor orders it. Remember, we have a crappy health care insurance system. 

ETA: oh right. OP is in France. 

Winterglow's picture

And so am I. 

:) 

A lot of chemists can do the test, it all depends on having the kind of premises necessary. There are also many places that have been set up by the health services for testing. All of them are free. 

Forthelifeoftheparty's picture

I remember when my DS was a newborn. I coccooned in a bedroom with him for probably the first three or four months of his life. And there was no COVID happening then! Being alone for the most part with a newborn while my DH worked  was painful in some ways, but it was blissful too. I'm sharing this memory to point out that I think your feelings are justified and reasonable.Protect that baby! 

If you are able, socially distance on the weekends your SS comes to visit. I mean socially distance with everyone in the home, including your DH. Tuck you and baby away in a bedroom. Avoid sharing air. Sit 6 ft apart at meals. Wear your mask in mutual spaces. .You can do the explaining to SS about germs and what not, but I also think that before he you even allow him into the room to visit the baby, he must wear a mask and he must wash his hands. 

I often washed hands with SD before I allowed her to be near baby DS, because she often lied about washing.

I agree it is wise that if SS is symptomatic, he must have a negative test before visiting.

DH should wear a mask during visits. I do not think you'll have much luck getting BM to test SS eow. 

Winterglow's picture

Op, for what it's worth, 3 out of 4 of us here have had covid. My husband had symptoms and immediately got tested. When it came back positive (the same morning), my daughters and I got tested. None of us had symptoms. One tested negative, I tested positive and later developed aches and pains, headaches, and lost my senses of taste and smell. My other daughter had absolutely NO symptoms yet was positive. Even her temperature was stable. 

My point is that your ss could very well have covid with no sign of it whatsoever. Get him tested! 

Winterglow's picture

I heard on the news this morning that there could well be a third lockdown coming but that it would probably be regional and not nationwide. So, if you're in the Grand Est, Bourgogne-Franche-Comté or Alpes Maritimes your problem might be solved!

Caroline2b1211's picture

Many thanks for all your replies, i have red them with attention, and took some really good advices.

I just see i'm not crazy to be scared about contagion risks, and of course i'm well aware of asymptomatics cases that can be contagious too. That's why i'm really worried about how things will going on that winter.

Some of you suggested to ask for test if SS9 has symptoms. Fact is that SS9 lives 200 km from us and BM will never tell if he is. DH will only discover it when he comes to pick him. 
Not sure DH will be smart enought to let SS9 at BM if he sees symptoms. Or maybe he will see symptoms once in the car. 
Some of you suggest to be tested even if there is no symptoms, and if it is not possible, stricly quarantine and social distancing at our home (mask, not sharing same air etc..). I'm starting to realise it will be hell in our own home. 

The best solution would be for all of us : if no test, no visit. And the best for me will be another global lockdown, that would save me

Maxwell09's picture

I only say this to help ease your sense of panic, I've been on the phone constantly with my child's pediatricians because my own SS's BM had covid and still confined to forgo of making him wear masks and reminding him to have good hygiene and be aware of germs that are constantly passing. The pediatrician told me the virus isn't really being spread by younger children. If my bio gets covid it is more likely to have coke from a grown up who's spreading it. Now take that for what you will, not all drs give them same information but if it helps your peace of mind a little bit I hope it helps. I know some people are saying don't blame bm but 9 year old boys (my SS too) are gross. They need to be reminded to shower and brush their teeth regularly so now in a pandemic it's a parents job to be overly assertive with handwashing and mask because that age just won't do it on their own. The part of their brain cannot comprehend the seriousness of consequences because that part of their brain hasn't developed yet. 

all that being said, I don't think you should be overly paranoid and never let your SS touch his sibling. That's alienating and going to cause a whole bunch of issues. I personally keep hand sanitizer in the entrance way of the house for when we all get home we can sanitize. I also keep some in the car when I'm picking him up from somewhere. As long as you're making sure he's washing his hands everytime he sneezes it will be ok for him to be around the baby. 

Caroline2b1211's picture

Hi everyone, 

Here is some news about holidays. DH left this morning to take SS9 and spend the weekend with him while i'm still at my parent's house. BM was supposed to drive half way but finally she called DH to tell she couldn't, neither today, nor at the end of weekend... so DH will have to drive 800km all in all... for 2 poor days with SS9.. i bet she punishes him for not bending and change plans.

About COVID, I've seen some post saying children are not  contagious... and i don't agree. We have two cases here where chidren have spread the virus to their entire family. 
Plus, like i said, i have no idea who SS9 is seeing when he is at BM. They are definitely not serious with social distancing and made a great party with more than 20 friends for celebrating new year.

Just to let you realise, he went on holiday to another country in europe in november.. and BM invites friends of him to sleep, anniversary and all the rest.

Plus, BM doesn't play fair as she doesn't follow-up any information about SS9 health. That's to say, DH discovered that SS9 still has a cold, with little fever, this evening after arriving at our home. No indication, no follow up.. nothing. 

I have decided to not put baby and him in contact until the end of 3rd COVID wave. And that not alienating, that protection. 
My mother will lend a house she has in the same city where SS9 lives with BM, and DH will spend EOWenkend whith SS9 there. All our family is making great efforts to keep SS9 and DH in contact during the pandemy, however taking any risk with the baby is not an option.

DH has decided to require a negative test for the future holidays (he can't spend the holiday at my mother house, and i can't leave mine) , and if not, sorry for SS9 but DH won't take him. It's a really unprecendeted situation with a woldwide global pandemic and everyone in the family should make some adjustements. We are doing a lot with new alternatives (WE and my mother's house for example) BM doesn't and refuses any adjustment. so, we can't do miracle. 

Caroline2b1211's picture

Just to add few information, after EOweekend DH will isolate, wear a mask near the baby, bath in the second bathroom and sleep in another room during 1 week, and then he will take a COVID test. That's the only solution we have. 
Stupid BM