You are here

Bio Father in prison--needing info

dreadingit's picture
Forums: 

I got a message from my ex-sil this weekend that my ex has gone to prison. She couldn't/wouldn't give me details, but he's been in jail a few times and had multiple DUIs. He just completed a 6-month inpatient rehab and now supposedly was sentenced from drug court to prison. I'm trying to find out what facility he's in, and for how long. My husband wants to adopt my son, and if we can do it while the idiot is unable to contest, I think that would make it much easier. Any ideas on how to find prisoner info or experience with terminating parental rights and adopting would be appreciated! Thank you!

overworkedmom's picture

What you are trying to do is exactly how I was adopted by my "step-dad". He was always Dad to me so it's weird to even consider him a step. I was 4 when my bio went away and that was that. Good luck, you have to be sneaky about how you do this but it can be done.

dreadingit's picture

Thank you! I've been checking the offender lookup, and so far it's not showing anything current. So I'm not sure if he's somewhere else or if the system is just slow updating...? We have an appointment with the attorney next month. Thanks for the advice!

SanAntonioSoccerMom's picture

Adoption laws are state specific. Hopefully your ex will just sign the papers and give your child a better dad. It is the least he could do...really.