You are here

I hope this helps someone xo

Jojo4124's picture

sandye21's picture

It's sad but true.  This is just a different time in history.  My parents were the product of the Great Depression and WWII so for them it was all about survival.  Most of them expected us to graduate from High school and get a job, although college was more accessible.  My generation tried to bring love into the picture.  We DID expect some cooperation and responsibility, but we gave them things we didn't have and wound up with kids who were entitled.  And they grew up to be helicopter parents of kids who are given awards because someone doesn't want them to feel bad.  They are beyond entitled and wind up as social cripples.  So the sad result is that there will be a larger gap between the rich and poor until life is about survival.

CLove's picture

I wish I could send this to Feral Forger SD22-almost-23.

or Toxic Troll BM.

Rags's picture

It will get no better until these failed breeding experiments learn these lessons.

Transitioning into adulthood is hard? Really?  No shit. Real and quality parents give their spawn no choice.

Once out of HS and 18, SS had a roof over his head and food to eat. If.... he completed his comprehensive chore list during the work day. If he chose not to, the next day he was on the curb when his mom and I left for work.  No food, no water (except from the garden hose) until his mom and I returned home from work at the end of day. At which point he did the chores he chose not to do the previous day, all of the current days chores, and then did the next day's chores on time and to standard.  

He only tested us twice.   8mos of that and he reported to USAF BMT.  Meanwhile nearly 11 years later and back at the ranch... he is kicking ass in his career, has 9 years left until full retirement, and .... his mom and I are exceptionally proud of him.

This article was written by a pathetic parent for even more pathetic parents.

IMHO.

Olivia2020's picture

I tell you what (a Florida term when a fact is to be revealed!), if my son ever cursed or disrespected me, his butt would have been out of the house. He even tells me now that he had the 'respectable fear' of me because I 'did what I said I was going to do.' One day after school, he was 16 and had a car, he decided to go straight to a friends house to play video games, right after he called me telling me he was on his way home. When I got home from work, all three dogs were still in the house and my son was just rushing in the front door. One of his chores was to let the dogs out into the backyard after he was home from school. Well, it didn't happen that day. I had been stuck in construction traffic on the highway and called my son to tell him I'd be a bit later than normal getting home, not knowing he was playing video games. My son always had 'dinner #1' in the frig to eat when he got home from school, healthy meals we prepped and I took for my work lunches each day so if nothing else, food was a motivator for him, but not that day. When I got home, all I did was hold out my hand, he put his cell phone in my hand, I called his dad and told him it's about time he paid for our son's cell phone because he won't be getting that phone back, and he never did. 

My point is this, when my son was 18 and graduated from high school, he was still dragging his feet on what to do and flip-flopping on whether to attend school. By that time, I had no reason to live in a house in the burbs so I put it on the market two weeks before graduation. I accepted a job in NYC and told him he could move up to the city with me and attend college full-time or work at the firm where I worked as an intern or stay with his dad in their cluttered and dirty house with step-monster and their two kids (his half-brothers) that were either crying or screaming, day and night. I told my son that I had taught him all that he needed to know about life by the time he turned 18, the rest was up to him to go out and experience for himself, he wasn't sitting on my couch playing video games all day, no way, no how! He was still breathing the same air as his girlfriend back then, she lived near his dad so my son stayed with his dad for a short time, worked at a pizza place, and went to community college before he joined the military. 

I didn't have much growing up. I used my savings for college until it ran out even while I worked three part-time jobs while going to college. I enlisted in the military, used my GI Bill to earn my first Masters degree to work my way up into a great career, and eventually a direct commission to Captain. My son still talks about when he was 6, standing on a chair, to pin on my bars at the ceremony. My father was in WWII and any job was a job and to 'stick with it' even if it paid minimum wage but I wanted better for myself and my son. My son responded well to the structure and consistency in his life that I provided him until age 18. He's 27 now and talks about the 'new generation of lazy entitled kids entering the military' & still thanks me for showing him a strong work ethic. He said I should run a parenting bootcamp, haha! 

This society of parenting is filled with fear and not the type of fear that is motivating, the fear that is crippling, and it's showing up more in the spawn they produced. 

Winterglow's picture

This was an interesting read. Thank you. I will never understand this kind of thinking.

I was desperate to leave home as soon as I turned 18! For my first summer of freedom, I wanted to work in France as an au pair. My mother said she'd rather my first job away from home be in Scotland so that if there was the slightest problem, help would be available. So I found myself a job in the Highlands. Mum was pleased because I wouldn't be far and so was I because I hadn't told her there was only one bus per week. I might as well have been in France!

My daughter looks as if she'll be taking a similar route, I'm happy to say.