You are here

Stepson Troubles

Stepmom_of_4's picture

I am the stepmother to four pretty great kids. I think of my stepchildren as my own and treat them as such. At this point, I have no biological children. I have been in the kids lives for almost two years and I love all of them very much. Three of the children are very young and have adjusted easily to the divorce, their mothers new husband and to me.
However, the oldest child is 12, almost 13. He is very moody. Somtimes we get along great and other times he acts like he can't stand me. He has started telling his BM that his dad would rather make me happy than spend one day with his kids....which is completely false! He tells her that I make unfair rules and punished him for no reason! AGAIN COMPLETELY FALSE!

Their father and I try to do family things with them all of the time. Sometimes we go out, play board games, or play outside, but it is never enough of the SS.

I am bent over completely backwards to try to have a good relationship with him, but I am always the one that get throw under the bus for everything. Anytime, he gets in trouble or his father and I make a decision he doesn't like he makes false accusations and says horrible things about me to his BM....which she believes.

Most of the time, I feel like this BM and I have a pretty good relationship considering the circumstances, but I can't tell her that her son is lying (because she obviously believes him over me).

I want to have a good relationship with everyone involved, but it is SO HARD to not take issue with things we hear from the BM, but I try to be the bigger person and do what is best for the children involved. And I REALLY want a good relationship with my SS, but it is hard with I feel like I am fighting him, the BM and the new stepdad (which gets to do the fun stuff with him all of the time instead of being the parent).

I am a really positive person and try to see the good in situation instead of complaining about it... but I really need some help with this one! Smile

Jsmom's picture

Teenagers are so much fun. Smile Gotta love them. They do lie and it is to gain favor with the other parent. Trust me it will get worse. Step back now and you may have less headaches. It just gets worse as they get into High School. As stepmoms we are fair game. \

When SD14 did this stuff, I started walking out of the room when she would start talking. I knew that no matter what I did, she would lie about it. So eventually I stopped doing anything with her.

Personally I blame Disney.

Stepmom_of_4's picture

I really want to have a relationship with him.... but sometimes I feel like having no relationship is my best options....

2timemom's picture

Your story sounds like mine,,,but today I called it quits..I feel like the bus has ran over me.

2timemom's picture

Your story sounds like mine,,,but today I called it quits..I feel like the bus has ran over me.

Stepmom_of_4's picture

I get so frustrated about everything because I am the one who pushed my husband and the BM to let the child play sports because my SS wanted to, I took him to practices, picked him up, made sure he had food before games, and DH and I went to all of his games... BM went to one. (I do this for all of the children, but it is the same song, second verse) :? But I am still the one that gets thrown under the bus!

Mom to 5's picture

I have two cents to throw in here, firstly; I am a Step-Mom to a teenager (15). He is moody and there are days where we say as little to each other as possible. I don't really care for him, but I care what happens to him. I say this, because of my second point; I have a Step Father and I was not a nice teenager at all. Now that I find myself in the same boat as my step father once was, I see the benefits he provided me, by talking to me, listening to me when I wanted to talk, by grounding me when I was out of line - just by doing what a parent is supposed to do. I am sure it was a lot of work for him (step father), but I hope that he realizes how much I appreciate him and all he did for me and that he helped shape me into a 'normal, happy' person now.

Anyway, my point to all of this is, being a parent is hard work, being a step parent is even harder work. It is a thankless job, but I think - one day you will receive praise for a job well done, but if you don't put effort into it, you more then likely will never receive that thanks.