You are here

Getting Worse and Worse!

NYStep30's picture

I posted a couple weeks ago about SS12 hurting DD's 1 & 2. Things are escalating quickly. SS got suspended Friday for attacking another kid. Apparently, he had to be "pulled off". I took him to his scheduled psychologist appointment and was told that he is suicidal, but doesn't have a plan. For those that don't know, he is possibly bipolar or sociopath...they aren't sure. I was told since he didn't have a plan that I shouldn't take him to the hospital. But I'm freaking out! After the incident with DD's, I threatened to leave. DH decided SS would go with BM, who he hasn't seen in 7 years, for the summer. Maybe he would want to stay. The whole thing is causing me grief. sS has been nothing but trouble, but I feel bad for him. On the other hand, I'm scared to keep him here. Does anyone have a psych background? I think any threat f suicide needs to be taken seriously, but DH thinks it's a ploy for attention. What shoud we do?

step off already's picture

All I know is that whenever I call children's psych for my HMO(the dept that deals with counselling, ADD, Autism - everything), they routinely ask if the child has ever mentioned suicide. If I were to answer yes, then they must admit the child for a 72 hour watch.

I have a friend who is a school counsellor and by law, she must have a child committed if they mention suicide in any way.

This is a scenario where it's much better to overreact than take it lightly.

And then of course, if SS IS doing this for attention, he will quickly learn that being admitted to a psych ward is not all that fun.

as123's picture

Psych student here. All suicide mentions should be taken seriously whether or not they have a plan. It could be a ploy for attention, but I wouldn't outright dismiss it without at least having it checked out.

Lalena75's picture

If we get a 911 call of suicidal ideation and transport our local hospital will evaluate and if they are a danger to themselves OR OTHERS they will do a 72 hr hold

NYStep30's picture

DH doesn't want to bring him in. I'm SM and not sure how to go about it. I'm hoping the psychiatrist sends him when we see her Wednesday. She disagrees with the psychologist frequently. How do I go about having him evaluated as the SM?

Onefootout's picture

"For those that don't know, he is possibly bipolar or sociopath...they aren't sure."

I know you're asking about the threats of suicide, but I can't help being more concerned about this kid's problem with anger and violence, especially towards your children. I could not dismiss this as a ploy for attention. Bipolar or sociopath, I think I would be planning an exit strategy or forbidding that kid to ever stay at the house, ever. Wednesday Martin even advocates banning kids from staying at the house who are violent towards the parents, sparents or other kids.

In my opinion, you and your kids should never have to live with this kid again. What a difficult situation. I'm so sorry. But once this kid lives with BM, I think the right thing to do, for your protection and your kids' protection, would be to refuse to live with the kid ever again, no matter the consequences. I realize this is easier said than done.

NYStep30's picture

That is my plan. I was about to walk out the door last week because I'm so disturbed by him. But, DH convinced me he was leaving. Now, with all f this, I'm wondering if he should be in residential treatment. He won't go with BM for 2 months, and I'm concerned about what will happen in the meantime.

NYStep30's picture

I was planning on going to my Mom's. I can still go there. I don't want DH to think the marriage is over, but staying here is becoming less of an option.

NYStep30's picture

It doesn't solve hs problem, but neither of his parents want to help. They both refuse to believe he as mental problems. DH has never once been to the psychologist or school. Recently, he flat out refused to speak with the psychologist. I can't continue to shoulder everything. It solves my problem because he is dangerous to my kids. If he doesn't leave, I will have no choice but to leave. I really feel very helpless. If he was my child, and I had the legal right, I would've and led things differently long ago. But, my hands are tied.

NYStep30's picture

BM is more open to the idea. DH thinks he is a pathological liar and a sneak. DH leaves the decision to go to therapy up to me. Clearly, it's the right thing to do. DH is embarrassed by his behavior and therefore refuses to go to school or anywhere else for that matter.