You are here

Narcissistic single parents and their kids

Wildchildhaz1's picture

You always hear about narcissists who choose to date single/ divorced parents. However something you rarely hear about is just how many narcissistic single/divorced parents there are. I find a lot of narcissists I have encountered are single/ divorced parents and they use their children as an excuse for their narcissistic, attention seeking, selfish, often parasitic behaviors. Anyone with me on this?

Someoneelse's picture

to be fair, everyone has failed past relationships, not everyone is a narcissist, I agree in our step situations we're lucky if we're dealing with just one narcissist. usually one of the bioparents are a narcissist, but also USUALLY the child is as well!

relationshipguru's picture

It is true that everyone has failed relationships however having a failed relationship with someone whom you chose to have multiple children with is slighty more concerning. Especially if there is a pattern of behavior where the person is a financial user and never admits to any responsibility as to why the relationship failed and the ex is always the problem, never them of course coincidentally. I agree that in these situations there is usually at least one narcissist, either them, their ex or one of their children. Maybe even a combo.

Someoneelse's picture

yep, 100% could be a herd of freaking narcissists! In my case, I think BM and SD are 100% narcissists, but after 10 years with DH, I do believe he is one as well, maybe not to the degree of BM and SD... but i think he exihibits a few narcissistic personality traits...

Someoneelse's picture

BM and sd16 both lie and manipulate to get everyone to see them as these sweet lovely people. And they REALLY think they are better than/above everyone in every situation. SD and BM both believe that EVERYTHING in my home should revolve around SD and (by extension) BM. They literally CREATE drama just to put themselves in the middle of. 

Someoneelse's picture

As for dh, he is ALWAYS talking about all the nice things he's ever done... but then he will talk about some mistake someone made and act like they are a complete moron lol.  But then turn around and talk about how he paid for all these diapers and wipes and formula for this lady in line 15years ago because apparently her boyfriend wiped out her bank account... but turn around and call someone a moron for slowing down too much before turning while driving.  Then he'll point out "that's where i picked up some lady on the side of the road when he car broke down" (he apparently picks up hitch hikers all the time). Like he always is better than everyone, but does so many nice things... so it's like he's super nice, but he can't stop talking about it,  but he also thinks he's better than everyone. So strange. He acts like sd is this great person, and when another kid acts like a fool, "oh if that was my kid, I'd *insert what ever he thinks would straighten that child out*" but sd is one of the worst children i know... what happened to knowing how to "straighten a child out"?

crystaloo's picture

My ex definitely had narcissistic tendencies (financial using, self centered, cold, manipulative, smear campaigning). I do believe he was well on his way to becoming a full blown narcissist if he isn't one already. Looking back I do not believe his ex was the problem like he so often proclaimed. I believe the problem was himself and his mother. One of his kids also has a lot of narcissistic tendencies (lazy, self centered, expects to be catered too, manipulative) which were learned behaviors from his parents and grandmother.

bananaseedo's picture

My exh was a true narcissist.  EVERY trait.  He was also very abusive, verbal, emotional, physical, you name it. He had several undiagonesed mental health/personality disorders as well.   He had some relationships after we divorced but never remarried- I honestly know it's because nobody is 'good enough' for him (he's an extreme misogynist also-so underlying hates all women)- truth is most women his age are way smarter then my young teenage as was and I was easy to manipulate.  I think no woman is dumb enough to stay with him once they see his true colors (he's actually quite quick to show them).  

BM was narcissistic, also abusive and also diagnosed bi-polar and a former meth addict.  Her fights with SD were epic (and every partner she had, both male/female, dozens of police reports, arrests, domestic disturbances, etc).  They were the same when her and DH were married-she remained combative and horrible to us when we got together.  

SD was showing traits when younger, now it's more like typical selfish young adult of this generation, but I've seen her be very giving and hard-working and helpful to my MIL, her fiance, her friends, etc....so though it seemed she was going in that direction, she has turned things around.  

A lot of people throw narcissist around when a lot of it is other issues or typical young kid/teen behavior.  Some outgrow it, some dont'-that's why Dr's don't really diagnose narcissism until later in life- most kids display these traits, doesn't make them a narcissist, kwim?

SeeYouNever's picture

I have never heard of people who are narcissistic choosing to date people with kids. Why would a narcissist want to date a single parent who can't devote 100% of their attention to them? Seems counterintuitive to a narcissist! 

I think my DH and BM both have narcissistic tendencies though they are not full-blown narcissists. BM is spoiled and thinks that she's better than everybody. My DH is very charismatic and can be prone to being self-absorbed. 

Wildchildhaz1's picture

I agree. I never thought that argument made sense either. To me the people saying it were narcsiistic single parents who felt they had been wronged by a person who left them. This person was probably used and abused by that single parent and their kids for awhile and finally had enough an left. So of course that makes them a narcissist in their eyes. lol.

SeeYouNever's picture

The easiest way to spot a narcissist is to find the person that calls everyone around them a narcissist! They project all of their issues on to everyone around them.

lala-land's picture

It's interesting to see what these narcissists do to their kids...in our case, 2 of the 3 adults kids have diagnosed psychiatric disorders.  SD30 has been diagnosed with bipolar and SS28 is borderline.  We are waiting to see what SD26 comes up,with.  All this means is that they will all be dependent on narc BM for a very long time.  It also means that none of them have successful relationships with anyone but BM.  This is success to a narcissist.  Sad.

Wildchildhaz1's picture

That is sad and also common. You will often find their children cannot make a relationship work with anyone but their own mother. Often you will find them living or financially depending on their mother when they are in their late 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. often until the mother dies. So sad. The narcissistic mothers do not feel bad about it either and often encourage it. Sick.